Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 07:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice job on the brake ducts but keep an eye on your temps on track with all that boost--should be fun anyway.

You want the same offset front to rear so you can rotate wheels/tires.
Very good point. Rotating front to rear not only saves money but allows you to keep all 4 tires close in tread life and heat cycles for more balance.

If I were buying today I'd probably go with 17x9 +48 RP01 with 255 NT01s all around for general tracking and try the BFG R1 for competition.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
Originally Posted by Olegator' timestamp='1309842612' post='20746552
+40 on the back is doable.... However, +60 on the front with 255 will create some major rubbing on the inside, in my opinion...

40 on the front is not really doable. You want the same offset front to rear so you can rotate wheels/tires.
I was only asking about the 40 because I have Downforce fenders that I am contemplating selling or keeping. I could keep them and run the Enkei RP03 in 17x9 +40. But that would be cost of Enkeis + cost of fenders + paint. But I did find a local who may want to buy my fenders so might be better just selling them off. Think I may have posted these pics over the weekend but if I did oh well. I get confused what I post and where sometimes.

TSW Nurburing (rotary forged)

TSW Interlagos (rotary forged)

Enkei PF01

Enkei RP03

Old 07-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Nice job on the brake ducts but keep an eye on your temps on track with all that boost--should be fun anyway.
Thanks, I expect engine temps should still be good, with my oil cooler etc. I'm not running as rich now though, so I don't think the car will be shooting fire anymore.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I compiled a list of all the track outings I could find rest of this year at either SP or VIR. These are just for HPDE/PDX stuff, not Time Trials, etc. They are:

July 11-12 (Track Daze, Summit Point)
July 16 (Friday at the Track, SP)
July 22-24 (NASA, VIR)
August 6 (SCCA, SP)
August 19 (FATT, SP)
August 20-21 (NASA, SP)
August 25-26 (TD, ?)
September 9 (FATT, SP)
September 24 (FATT AND SCCA PDX, SP)
October 1-2 (TD, ?)
October 7-9 (NASA, VIR)
October 14 (FATT, SP)
October 14-15 (TD, VIR)
November 4 (FATT, SP)
November 5-6 (NASA, SP)
November 18 (FATT, SP)

If I missed any let me know. What events are you guys attending the rest of this year?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Finally got my brake ducts installed this past weekend, that was a major PITA. but its done.

looks good, Jim.

I'm not fast enough for this but how PITA is it to install these things? It will be my winter project if I get good enogh this year.

Anyways, I forgot to share my brake issues at my last track outing at SP. First my brakes went out at front straight at around 5th round during the second outing on the first day. We gravity bleed the lines and that seems to have solved the problem. Not to mention I had a severe rear vibrations at high speed which turns out to be an unbalanced tires.

Then on the second day my front brakes developed a pad deposits on the rotors causing pedal vibrations during hard braking. I was told it will go away if I keep braking hard enough so I did and it seems to have gotten rid of pedal vibrations feel but my front rotors now have 4 to 5 deep groove lines making them unsuitable to use now.

My front brake pads by the way are RP2s and rears are XP10s. I never had these issues with XP 10 & 8 combo before. I did same bedding process as I do before by driving them around town for couple of days before tarck days. I'm thinking maybe the RP2s are sensitive into bedding process, I don't know but now I have to buy new set of front pads and rotors and never to buy RP2s anymore.

Any ideas as to why this happened and or recommendation as to what to do next to prevent this from happening again?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno, why did you switch from XP10&8s? Switch back to XP10/8s?

One of your issues sounds like a fluid issue and one like the pads were pushed beyond their temp rating.

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1309877122' post='20747414
Finally got my brake ducts installed this past weekend, that was a major PITA. but its done.

looks good, Jim.

I'm not fast enough for this but how PITA is it to install these things? It will be my winter project if I get good enogh this year.

Anyways, I forgot to share my brake issues at my last track outing at SP. First my brakes went out at front straight at around 5th round during the second outing on the first day. We gravity bleed the lines and that seems to have solved the problem. Not to mention I had a severe rear vibrations at high speed which turns out to be an unbalanced tires.

Then on the second day my front brakes developed a pad deposits on the rotors causing pedal vibrations during hard braking. I was told it will go away if I keep braking hard enough so I did and it seems to have gotten rid of pedal vibrations feel but my front rotors now have 4 to 5 deep groove lines making them unsuitable to use now.

My front brake pads by the way are RP2s and rears are XP10s. I never had these issues with XP 10 & 8 combo before. I did same bedding process as I do before by driving them around town for couple of days before tarck days. I'm thinking maybe the RP2s are sensitive into bedding process, I don't know but now I have to buy new set of front pads and rotors and never to buy RP2s anymore.

Any ideas as to why this happened and or recommendation as to what to do next to prevent this from happening again?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM

RP2s are harder on rotors. After 1 track day and a few hundred highway miles on my S2000 they seem to be depositing on the rotor and scoring it a bit. We will see how they go...
Old 07-05-2011, 09:20 AM

Thanks for the quick response guys. Yes, I will go back to XP10 & 8 combo or 12 & 10 since my XP 10s rears are still good. I suspected air in my lines due to I trying new bleeding technique just like trying a new front pads. Brake fluids are fresh from during my winter track preps. I developed a late braking habit so I treshold brake all the time on fast straights. I guess RP2s are not for my kind of braking habit.

I guess if it's not broken don't try to fix it.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1309877122' post='20747414

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/268324_766560145313_15206763_37304043_636005_n.jpg[img]

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/259997_766825388763_15206763_37309957_1924339_n.jp g[img]
looks good, Jim.

The grooved rotors were the same issue I was having, I think you are overheating the brakes. Time to install some ducting.

It took me 2 days to install the ducting. Working a couple hours each day, if I had to do it again it wouldn't take nearly as long, most of the time was spent figuring out how I wanted to do things and making multiple trips to Lowes. Then getting over my fear of actually cutting into the bumper, lucky I had an old bumper to "practice" on first.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Did it look something like this?

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread