Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robrob,Jan 28 2011, 11:50 PM
Lou,

You could simply show up for the clinic with your NASA instructor license and they'd fit you in no problem because there's always a few no-shows. But it wouldn't hurt to call BSR and firm up a slot.
I will call first.

Rob, good luck getting it all worked out. I look forward to seeing you running W2W.

Now, where is Pete?
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I got some noob questions so be easy one me plz lol.

I wana work my way in at VIR an the Hyperlaps seem like a great starting point cheap an a chance to experience the track w/ out getting in the way of the big boys.

I saved a copy of the NASA Code an Regulations 2011.3 an been trying to search though it w/ out having to read all of it. (i'm young)

Anyways, I wanted to know what all i need to be able to participate?
I get the apparel
but what do i need on the car wise? Roll bar etc...

any help would be awesome
thanks guys
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by S2Kitt,Jan 31 2011, 09:31 PM
Hey I got some noob questions so be easy one me plz lol.

I wana work my way in at VIR an the Hyperlaps seem like a great starting point cheap an a chance to experience the track w/ out getting in the way of the big boys.

I saved a copy of the NASA Code an Regulations 2011.3 an been trying to search though it w/ out having to read all of it. (i'm young)

Anyways, I wanted to know what all i need to be able to participate?
I get the apparel
but what do i need on the car wise? Roll bar etc...

any help would be awesome
thanks guys
You will need a roll bar, helmet and fresh brake fluid with good pads. Other than that, see here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...post&p=11330797

That covers most anything you will need to know for a while.

I look forward to seeing you at the track., but you won't see me until it gets warm.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I got the nose and splitter off the car, removed the A/C radiator, condenser and air pump. Still need to upgrade the brake vents, trim the splitter and replace that right rear wheel bearing.

Watching the Daytona 24 got me motivated.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:56 PM

I have a DOT Helmet an i have a Rotora 4POT 11.8 Caliper kit up front w/ Steel Braided lines all the way aroundan also run Motul RBF 600 an i have about 3/8-1/2" of pads all around. I do think i need to ditch my Cross-drilled/Slotted rotors an go to just Slotted or OEM rotors.
I wana use my tax money to put a Hard Dog bar in the car. I want to get the dual cross bar w/ lower harness bar. Pretty much the most expenzive one they make.
Any other suggestions? I can post my full mod list if it helps.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 PM

are you running stock seats or aftermarket seats? If you plan on running oem seatbelts for the road, i'd recommend paying the upgrade for the oem seatbelt tabs to be welded onto the bar.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:23 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kitt,Feb 1 2011, 12:56 AM
I have a DOT Helmet an i have a Rotora 4POT 11.8 Caliper kit up front w/ Steel Braided lines all the way aroundan also run Motul RBF 600 an i have about 3/8-1/2" of pads all around. I do think i need to ditch my Cross-drilled/Slotted rotors an go to just Slotted or OEM rotors.
I wana use my tax money to put a Hard Dog bar in the car. I want to get the dual cross bar w/ lower harness bar. Pretty much the most expenzive one they make.
Any other suggestions? I can post my full mod list if it helps.
OEM rotors, What pads? OEM?

You need better brake pads, and plan on changing them every 4-6 events early on, then more frequently when you get faster.

Learn how to bleed brakes properly also.

Make the car safe and reliable first.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

With the big brakes up front the pads he has will probably be good for a few track days until he begins to brake late and hard. I would say your brake setup is good the way it is, just monitor pad thickness after every track session. If you can, bring a spare set just in case you need them. You can borrow a jack and tools from other participants in the unlikely case you need to replace your brake pads during your first track day.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:47 AM

The front pads are Rotor pads that came w/ the kit an the rear are Axxis Ultimate
I will prolly end up getting harnesses on the OE seats until I can get my hands on a Sparco EVO
Seat.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kitt,Feb 1 2011, 08:47 AM
The front pads are Rotor pads that came w/ the kit an the rear are Axxis Ultimate
I will prolly end up getting harnesses on the OE seats until I can get my hands on a Sparco EVO
Seat.
While street pads *might* work for you at your first event or two, I recommend just getting a set of track pads. You spend 1000s of dollars putting on fancy looking gear but then go to the track with pads designed for the street?

Spend a couple hundred bucks and get track pads. You will be able to stomp on the brakes as hard and often as you like and not have to wonder if you will be able to stop.

Any anyway, you WILL need track pads after your first couple events so why destroy a nice set of street pads in the meantime?

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread