Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you have money just flying our your ass I'd say any girl expecting you to spend that kind of money is nuts. That or they've been spoon fed everything their entire life. Good luck though.

I always try to keep the price of parts from my girlfriend and surprisingly she's never asked. I think she just doesn't want to know

I'll raise you one though. Can't wait to get them on. Need to get another hard dog rollbar sometime in the near future. Maybe I'll get on track sometime in 2012.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I know Her mom was saying $45K
Is that 2 months of salary!??? That's the current guide witch is still BS.

Clarkster, I'm being serious here: Run! Run the f away from her and her mom! You will end up unbelievably miserable if you marry someone that demands such an expensive engagement ring. Women used to come with a dowry to help purchase the death of your freedom, but no more. You need to know the marriage system is completely biased for the wife. I highly recommend you read, "The Predatory Female," available from Amazon. This isn't the 1950's for god's sake, mankind has progressed and should move beyond these incredibly sexist conventions.

If you ignore these words they will come back to haunt you.

No, I'm not bitter.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob

Clarkster, I'm being serious here: Run! Run the f away from her and her mom! You will end up unbelievably miserable if you marry someone that demands such an expensive engagement ring. Women used to come with a dowry to help purchase the death of your freedom, but no more. You need to know the marriage system is completely biased for the wife. I highly recommend you read, "The Predatory Female," available from Amazon. This isn't the 1950's for god's sake, mankind has progressed and should move beyond these incredibly sexist conventions.

2-3 months salary is the current "guide"... that means i'll be spending about 15K for my GF if i were to buy a ring this year. that will not happen in either respect (not happening this year and NOT spending that much).

Clarkster, good luck with that whole ring thing i'm going to take my sweeeeeet time for that step in my life haha.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I'm not bitter.
Rob, I wish it was two months of salary That is more like 1 year of salary.

I know it sounds bad, when that's all I have told you guys. But she really is not a gold digger or anything a long those lines. She is very considerate and independent...and I think in the 7 months or so we have been dating she has paid more money than I have on dates and gifts. But, I think her philosophy behind it is that if I really love her enough to be with her, then the financial sacrifice should be worth it. (Also the fact that I want to spend $25K-40K on my next car) The mama was just joking about $45K. I'll have to check out that book though for reference. Did you have a bad first marriage or something along those lines?

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak' timestamp='1308164809' post='20685876

2-3 months salary is the current "guide"... that means i'll be spending about 15K for my GF if i were to buy a ring this year. that will not happen in either respect (not happening this year and NOT spending that much).

Clarkster, good luck with that whole ring thing i'm going to take my sweeeeeet time for that step in my life haha.
$15K?? You make a lot more than me

Haha yeah, it is definitely a huge step...how long do you think you can hold your gf off though?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Unless you have money just flying our your ass I'd say any girl expecting you to spend that kind of money is nuts. That or they've been spoon fed everything their entire life. Good luck though.

I always try to keep the price of parts from my girlfriend and surprisingly she's never asked. I think she just doesn't want to know

I'll raise you one though. Can't wait to get them on. Need to get another hard dog rollbar sometime in the near future. Maybe I'll get on track sometime in 2012.

Unfortunately I am not a baller

Nice coilovers steve! I also am excited to get mine on. What do you mean by "another" roll bar?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

An 18 year old living at home and working part-time might could spend 2-3 months salary. This is how people did things when that "guideline" was created (by the same folks that run the diamond industry, by the way.) That would be a nice and modest ring. Now folks are getting engaged/married later in life. Professionals established in their careers and carrying a mortgage, car payment, student loans, etc are making a terrible decision to spend that much. No woman needs a $30k ring. Making a financial sacrifice (read: financial suicide) does not prove your love for her, and if she thinks so... I don't even know what to tell you but you are in big trouble if you don't correct that way of thinking now. You know what would be a great financial sacrifice? Buy a home with her. She doesn't need to wear your financial sacrifice. There are other factors she is not even considering. For example, if you finance a $20,000 ring, do you know what it will end up costing you in the end?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Originally Posted by robrob' timestamp='1308164380' post='20685844

No, I'm not bitter.

I know it sounds bad, when that's all I have told you guys. But she really is not a gold digger or anything a long those lines. She is very considerate and independent...and I think in the 7 months or so we have been dating she has paid more money than I have on dates and gifts. But, I think her philosophy behind it is that if I really love her enough to be with her, then the financial sacrifice should be worth it. (Also the fact that I want to spend $25K-40K on my next car) The mama was just joking about $45K. I'll have to check out that book though for reference. Did you have a bad first marriage or something along those lines?

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak

Haha yeah, it is definitely a huge step...how long do you think you can hold your gf off though?
we've been together for 3 1/4 years, living together for a little more than a year. I think we're pretty solid. we make a good team

15K would be roughly 1/4 of salary. and i JUST got that raise when i became salaried in June. prior to that I wasn't make nearly as much.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by e3opian
An 18 year old living at home and working part-time might could spend 2-3 months salary. This is how people did things when that "guideline" was created (by the same folks that run the diamond industry, by the way.) That would be a nice and modest ring. Now folks are getting engaged/married later in life. Professionals established in their careers and carrying a mortgage, car payment, student loans, etc are making a terrible decision to spend that much. No woman needs a $30k ring. Making a financial sacrifice (read: financial suicide) does not prove your love for her, and if she thinks so... I don't even know what to tell you but you are in big trouble if you don't correct that way of thinking now. You know what would be a great financial sacrifice? Buy a home with her. She doesn't need to wear your financial sacrifice. There are other factors she is not even considering. For example, if you finance a $20,000 ring, do you know what it will end up costing you in the end?
x1000 but this is getting very off-topic
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by clarkster009' timestamp='1308166042' post='20685969
[quote name='robrob' timestamp='1308164380' post='20685844']

No, I'm not bitter.

we've been together for 3 1/4 years, living together for a little more than a year. I think we're pretty solid. we make a good team

15K would be roughly 1/4 of salary. and i JUST got that raise when i became salaried in June. prior to that I wasn't make nearly as much.
[/quote]

I can't even read this multi-quoted mess.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Damn, baller. Somebody is doing pretty well post-graduation

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread