2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and don't forget a roll of painters tape for numbers
Old 06-14-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Originally Posted by clarkster009' timestamp='1308000715' post='20678502
Hey, I got an email from NASA today about the event and they sent a spreadsheet and said "If you go on the track with the incorrect number on the car you may be black flagged" (I guess that's not as bad as having your back flogged HAHA ) but when I looked at my name it said NONE for number. What do I do?
In your NASA "My Profile" there are three (3) boxes (My Numbers) where you put your prefferred numbers, first box being the first number you will use unless NASA officials will tell you otherwise. By the way that message is mainly for the racers and TT'ers but it's important to for us too for easy driver ID.
Ah ok...I thought when I did my Nasa registration online I picked 9. Is that too common/already taken? I have some tape (I think is painter's tape) that I used in masking my wheels. Is that what is good to use?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by metros
Clarkster - As far as alignment - I wouldn't worry about it for your first event. For you this event will be about learning basics and increasing awareness. You'll be overwhelmed with on track traffic, learning the line, and brake/acceleration points. You won't be wishing you had gotten that extra .3 degrees of camber.

FYI, I always pack a small cooler of a few drinks and snacks. The day is physically exhausting and you'll want something to keep you going along the way. Also, its going to be pretty warm. Fluids are good. Bring extra oil, basic tools, air pressure gauge, helmet, numbers, etc. I like to pack as much as I can the night before to make that morning easier.
Ha true. I guess it's not really that big of a deal. The cooler is a good idea. Is the whole idea of the paddock so you can leave all that stuff when you go out on the track?

What sort of clothes do you wear? T-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes?
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak' timestamp='1307983468' post='20677354
How did the weekend fair for everyone?
This.

and Gordon won, so it was a great weekend!
You were in Pocono, Ron? wow, didn't realize you follow NASCAR too!!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by clarkster009
Originally Posted by Beepbeep' timestamp='1308005711' post='20678792
[quote name='clarkster009' timestamp='1308000715' post='20678502']
Hey, I got an email from NASA today about the event and they sent a spreadsheet and said "If you go on the track with the incorrect number on the car you may be black flagged" (I guess that's not as bad as having your back flogged HAHA ) but when I looked at my name it said NONE for number. What do I do?
In your NASA "My Profile" there are three (3) boxes (My Numbers) where you put your prefferred numbers, first box being the first number you will use unless NASA officials will tell you otherwise. By the way that message is mainly for the racers and TT'ers but it's important to for us too for easy driver ID.
Ah ok...I thought when I did my Nasa registration online I picked 9. Is that too common/already taken? I have some tape (I think is painter's tape) that I used in masking my wheels. Is that what is good to use?
[/quote]
As long as # 9 is NOT on any other car in your run group(HPDE1), you are fine. Even if there is a conflict, you can fix it(with painters tape) after your first session. I have personally witnessed corner workers being able to handle such situations(2 cars with same numbers in HPDE sessions)
Old 06-14-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by metros' timestamp='1308014294' post='20679211
Clarkster - As far as alignment - I wouldn't worry about it for your first event. For you this event will be about learning basics and increasing awareness. You'll be overwhelmed with on track traffic, learning the line, and brake/acceleration points. You won't be wishing you had gotten that extra .3 degrees of camber.

FYI, I always pack a small cooler of a few drinks and snacks. The day is physically exhausting and you'll want something to keep you going along the way. Also, its going to be pretty warm. Fluids are good. Bring extra oil, basic tools, air pressure gauge, helmet, numbers, etc. I like to pack as much as I can the night before to make that morning easier.
Ha true. I guess it's not really that big of a deal. The cooler is a good idea. Is the whole idea of the paddock so you can leave all that stuff when you go out on the track?

What sort of clothes do you wear? T-shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes?
Long sleeve cotton shirt and jeans are fine. Any closed toe shoe you are comfortable in is fine(for beginners, if you happen to have a indoor soccer shoe, pick that, it will provide you the feeling as close to driving shoes as possible).

Correct, ABSOLUTELY no loose items inside the car when on track. The car needs to be emptied out. Anything that is secure(like spare tire) CAN stay in the car.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Ah thanks dollar. What's your name btw? Mine is Kevin.

I was wondering about the spare tire.

So long sleeve cotton t-shirt? No short sleeves? Seems like it would get a little hot, hopefully the weather is nice as today.

I was planning on just wearing some Puma shoes I have. They have a pretty good feel to them. I do have some shoes kind of like this that I rarely wear because they are uncomfortable as hell, but I think they are supposed to be like a driving shoe?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:06 AM

Ah thanks dollar. What's your name btw? Mine is Kevin.

I was wondering about the spare tire.

So long sleeve cotton t-shirt? No short sleeves? Seems like it would get a little hot, hopefully the weather is nice as today.

I was planning on just wearing some Puma shoes I have. They have a pretty good feel to them. I do have some shoes kind of like this that I rarely wear because they are uncomfortable as hell, but I think they are supposed to be like a driving shoe?

img]http://www.finishline.com/store/images/products/lg20spm728231.jpg[/img
Glad to help. My name is Mani(money) hence the screen-name.

Long sleeve shirt IS the default. They make exceptions from time to time to allow short-sleeve BUT the exception is always decided and announced during the AM all-hands-meeting on the day of.

Driving shoes are by design uncomfortable to walk around for a long time, many folks(including me) switch to sandals or tennis shoes between sessions. Like I said, any closed toe shoe of your choice is fine.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak' timestamp='1307983468' post='20677354
This.

cool! i bet it was a blast. i always disliked nascar, until i saw them at Watkins Glen and then i became slightly interested haha

I spent the weekend working on the winter beater :fail: . as soon as thats done.. and i fix the outer tie rod end on the S i can start coming out to events!!!... ETAttending: Mid July

.. student loans kick in starting in july as well, so that will be an extra $500/month out of my pocket too i will need to budget in
Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dollar
Originally Posted by Beepbeep' timestamp='1308007392' post='20678898
[quote name='Gilly_S2KFreak' timestamp='1307983468' post='20677354']
This.

You were in Pocono, Ron? wow, didn't realize you follow NASCAR too!!
[/quote]

Ha ha ha...I'm somewhat a big fun of NASCAR because they are fast. The roar of thundering V8s, smell of burning rubbers, and the fumes of racing fuels excites me!

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread