Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob,Jan 27 2011, 05:08 PM
You can run the stock seats with a sub belt and pass NASA & SCCA tech. I used a two point sub attachment and bolted each end of the sub belt to the normal seat belt attachment points and ran the sub belt up between the seat back and seat bottom. You just sit on the sub belt and pull it up between your legs and fasten. It's not optimal but it's safe and legal.
You can, but I'm basing my assertion that you should not use a stock seat with a 5/6 pt harness on this

http://www.schroth.com/installation-instru...ometries.htm#23
Old 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by robrob,Jan 27 2011, 04:08 PM
I just got off the phone with Chris Cobetto and he's going to give me a NASA provisional racing license when I complete the March SCCA double comp school. I'll be able to race in the April NASA event at Summit Point They normally don't do that until you've got a race or two under your belt with the SCCA but because of my history with NASA as an instructor and TTer he's cutting me some slack.
That's good news, Rob. Looking forward to be in the track learning from you.

I may have to ask you to help me out on OEM seat with 6 point harness sometimes during spring, if that ok with you.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The stock S2000 seat is much closer to a racing seat than a standard Mustang or Camero seat as pictured in this Scroth diagram:

I think they're concerned with the excess height above the floor and what that extra distance will allow your body to do during an impact. The stock S2000 seat actually works very well when combined with a roll bar and 6 point harness. It works even better if you use lowering rails and/or lower the seat pan.

I did have to install a harness connection point on the transmission tunnel though, you can't use the stock driver seat's seatbelt attachment point because it's actually connected to the seat.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Former Moderator

I may have to ask you to help me out on OEM seat with 6 point harness sometimes during spring, if that ok with you.
If you are replacing your stock belts it's pretty easy. You use a standard seat belt bolt in the outside hole, and drill a hole in the transmission tunnel for the inside seatbelt attachment. Use grade 8 bolts from OG Racing. Be careful where you drill the hole or you could interfere with the seat's movement to the rear. The crotch strap and seat belt attach there and the shoulder straps are easily wrapped around the roll bar. Remove the seat's headrest hole cover and run the inside shoulder strap through the headrest hole. The outer strap isn't run through the headrest hole, it's trapped between the end of the roll bar and seat.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robrob,Jan 27 2011, 04:08 PM
I just got off the phone with Chris Cobetto and he's going to give me a NASA provisional racing license when I complete the March SCCA double comp school. I'll be able to race in the April NASA event at Summit Point They normally don't do that until you've got a race or two under your belt with the SCCA but because of my history with NASA as an instructor and TTer he's cutting me some slack.
good to hear, Rob!
Old 01-28-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by robrob,Jan 28 2011, 09:02 AM
If you are replacing your stock belts it's pretty easy. You use a standard seat belt bolt in the outside hole, and drill a hole in the transmission tunnel for the inside seatbelt attachment. Use grade 8 bolts from OG Racing. Be careful where you drill the hole or you could interfere with the seat's movement to the rear. The crotch strap and seat belt attach there and the shoulder straps are easily wrapped around the roll bar. Remove the seat's headrest hole cover and run the inside shoulder strap through the headrest hole. The outer strap isn't run through the headrest hole, it's trapped between the end of the roll bar and seat.
It sounds pretty easy as you described, I would like to keep my OEM seat belts at the same time so I'm not sure how is that going to work for me though.

Do you ahve this process in your website? I visited your website several times but I don't remember seeing that DYI.

Thanks, Rob.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Former Moderator

I didn't do a How-To for the harnesses. I'm not sure if an eye-bolt will fit in the stock outside hole. Using eye-bolts will allow you to clip and un-clip your harnesses.

Anyone know if there's room to use an eye-bolt in the stock outside seat belt bolt hole?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Beepbeep,Jan 28 2011, 12:05 PM
It sounds pretty easy as you described, I would like to keep my OEM seat belts at the same time so I'm not sure how is that going to work for me though.

Do you ahve this process in your website? I visited your website several times but I don't remember seeing that DYI.

Thanks, Rob.
Here you go

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=685180
Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by robrob,Jan 28 2011, 06:18 PM
Anyone know if there's room to use an eye-bolt in the stock outside seat belt bolt hole?
HMS motorsport sells a better bolt than an eyebolt for that purpose. Don't recall what its called but know that they had one when i bought the stuff i used to install my harnesses. Made by Scroth. i think it was somthing designed for a 911.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

I was able to use a normal eyebolt on both the inside and outside with my seats/rails and didn't have to use that funky one, but I don't know about the fitment with the stock seats so YMMV.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread