Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a long day at the track yesterday. Biggest lesson was, Shenadoah is like driving on ice when wet! First out with instructor group while drizzling, a nice Z06 licked the wall on his right quater pannel. I'm thinking frame got bent because the hood popped out skewed. All group had several spins including mine, I lost my rear three times but got lucky all of them (I think because of the wing too ) but the Rx8 behind me on the last big save did not make it.

I was fighting severe cold all day (typical now for me to get sick in Shenandoah ), and my instrcutor was very complicated. It was a bit tough for me to find the middle ground between the fast way he runs the lines and the lines I'm comfortable with. And do you really have to talk for 30 minutes! He talked my ears off the whole day but he was doing a hard work trying to teach me how to perfect his fast lines I have no heart to tell him to shut up. Needless to say, I got more confused and frustrated the whole day althought I now know the fast lines in Shenahoah. Overall my instructor did a good job.

One of the mistake I did was armoralling my leather seat before track day because as soon as he got in, he told me does not like S2000 because he is claustrophobic. I can see him sliding and squirming all the time during braking and turning, but still talking the whole time.

Below are some pictures.

Oh, and one last thing, it is very lonely without any one from our group on the track with me.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Beepbeep's new rear profile.

The car looks great with the wing!
Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The car looks great Ron and I'm glad you kept it off the wall. I know what you mean about talkative instructors. The student will always be distracted while listening to an instructor so an instructor has to know what's important and what isn't and let the student learn. After spending over 2 years in Army and Air Force pilot training I had a pretty good idea of what kind of instructor I wanted to be
Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

<----- dreams of the day he can have an instructor like Rob or George go on a track with him. (or Doug Hood... Triple-H, CO from the Upstate NY Forum)

The trunk/wing look great Ron!

I'm currently slowly dwindling down the CC bill and doing repairs on my winter beater so it will pass NYS inspection, so its looking less and less likely i'll be participating in an event this year, but school ends tomorrow (my last final is due) so come June, I'll be able to possibly come to some events and hang out
Old 05-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I spoke too soon about the trunk lid damage. I looked again and the left side is pushed down about a 1/4 inch. I'm going to try to add a little more support to the rubber bumper supports on the edge of the trunk.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Olegator
Gotta find a used trunk for the car then. I don't think that those cheap carbonfiber (read fiberglass ) trunks will stand up to the task.
Mine did, and i know i went fast enough and with too much angle of attack.

Also, I have a DL1, Oleg. Everything track of mine will be for sale momentarily to include that datalogger. I paid $625 for it used a couple of years ago. Guessing I'd take $300 for it now.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you had fun Ron! The car looks great!
Rob, so there is some damage to the trunk from the wing? Looks like some reinforcement is in order
Old 05-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great Ron! I only talk about what is coming up, or currently happening. Some instructors do talk so much the confuse you. George has always been my favorite instructor. Well after I was driving solo, and even after instructing myself, I enjoyed the way George can push the right buttons.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:30 PM

Thanks, guys. So far I only had Cale and Pete for an instructor from our group and they are both great. They give heads up on what to look for on the track then observe and instruct on what needed the most attention. They give good moral boast to increase your confidence.

Anyway Im now in the mountains somewhere in WV. You know you are in country if the biggest store in town is tractor shop. )
Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

You car looks good Ron, Shenandoah is very slippery in the wet. I am sorry to hear about the damaged cars,

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread