Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

What's the rule in this situation? Do I need to pick up RE070 for the rear as a replacement? Or can I go with the dunlops that I've wanted to try out and keep the RE070 in front?
Of course normally you'd want the same tires all around but I have run RA1s in the rear and NT01s up front and also mixed new/old tires front and rear. The car will handle differently but it's not unsafe, you'll just have to see what it does and drive accordingly.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would imagine with new tires in the rear it would be more prone to understeer. I think I'll end up ordering a different set of tires for the rear. I like the RE070 but they're pricey and aren't great in any kind of wet weather.

Input on the brake pads?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Former Moderator

I'm still a big fan of Carbotech XP10's in the front. The rears aren't that critical and I like the long wear I get out of XR3s back there.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seldom get perfectly even wear.

It is caused by the imperfection of trying to evenly apply pressure to the pads with a single piston and two sliding pins.

Relube the pins, check and see if they appear visibly bent.

I would rock those rear pads on a 1 day Jefferson HPDE!

Originally Posted by metros
Looking for an opinion from some of the more experienced track junkies. As I'm installing my track pads and doing maintenance today I'm debating on finishing the rest of my rear pads or just switching to the new pads. The new rear xp8 are pre-bed so if I have to install at the track I won't lose any time. However, the current state of my rear pads are more worn on the outter edge with more life towards the inner edge. Here are some pictures:

Outter edge, slight crumbling along the very outside ridge

Inner edge, great condition

1 - Why the difference in pad wear from outside to inside of the brake pad?
2 - These pads are currently 2 weekends old (4 days at the track). Are they worth throwing on for 1 day on Jefferson?

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 08:37 AM
Former Moderator

If your rear pads don't have the locating nubs on the piston pad then you can reverse them and get a little more life out of them. That's how the Cobalt XR3s are anyway. I'd definitely run those rears another day or two.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those pads are fine! Unless its melted to the piston you can run them. Lol Ask me how I know this.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 711 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Leadhead16
Those pads are fine! Unless its melted to the piston you can run them. Lol Ask me how I know this.
My pads always seems to end up down to the metal.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Put those rear pads in and installed stoptech stainless lines all around. I decided to try a hand vaccuum pump to get most the air out of the system. I'm going to have my brother-in-law swing by tomorrow and go around the old fashioned way (i.e. pump and hold while I break them open).

You all use the gravity bleed? To me it just doesn't make sense that it would get most the air out. Correct me if I'm wrong, you crack open the bleeder and let it slowly trickle out for ~1 hour at each corner. Is that enough to push big bubbles out?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metros
Put those rear pads in and installed stoptech stainless lines all around. I decided to try a hand vaccuum pump to get most the air out of the system. I'm going to have my brother-in-law swing by tomorrow and go around the old fashioned way (i.e. pump and hold while I break them open).

You all use the gravity bleed? To me it just doesn't make sense that it would get most the air out. Correct me if I'm wrong, you crack open the bleeder and let it slowly trickle out for ~1 hour at each corner. Is that enough to push big bubbles out?

Gravity bleed is the best. It isn't an hour per, but it does take a while. Based on switching to & from ATE Blue, I would guess the fronts are 10 minutes or so each. The rears are probably 20 - 30 minutes.

I told Skip about this for a long time and he didn't believe. He is now a believer.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 PM

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread