Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt, the one I read about is J's. Here https://www.s2ki.com/...s-js-racing-s1/, it seems that there are a lot of possitive reviews about J's.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I actually don't see enough pinch/steering input after apex to completely explain that spin.
Pete, Beard doesn't unwind the steering wheel after the apex at all which may have been caused by the pinched entry.

Matt, sorry to hear about the ball joint. I'm really surprised the weld didn't hold. I recently had to remove the big SPC ball joint top nuts on both sides of my car for bearing swaps. Both torqued right up to 120 lbs no problem. It's strange that PTuning stripped both of yours. Maybe they need to calibrate their torque wrench.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
I actually don't see enough pinch/steering input after apex to completely explain that spin.
Pete, Beard doesn't unwind the steering wheel after the apex at all which may have been caused by the pinched entry.

Matt, sorry to hear about the ball joint. I'm really surprised the weld didn't hold. I recently had to remove the big SPC ball joint top nuts on both sides of my car for bearing swaps. Both torqued right up to 120 lbs no problem. It's strange that PTuning stripped both of yours. Maybe they need to calibrate their torque wrench.
So... What are you up to this weekend?
Old 04-11-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Pete has some of those Baller J's ones? I am not sure he has even installed them yet.

Does anyone know of another option for negative camber adjustment in the front OTHER than the SPC ball joints? The design really isn't very good. I found some Asura thing on s2ki but it looks like that is a full set of 8 control arms.
[/quote]
Old 04-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they might have forgotten to tighten them
Old 04-11-2011, 12:43 PM
jfo

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does someone sell offset bushings that can be installed on the inside of the upper arm?

Matt--I have those arms at work and can ship anytime. lmk. whatever price you think is fair is good with me.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Former Moderator

Matt,

J's now makes two different offset ball joints for the front. You'd want the S2. They completely replace the lower ball joint and move the ball joint outward for more camber but they're freakin expensive.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Former Moderator

they might have forgotten to tighten them
No, they tightened them--they stripped both sides and then welded them in place. I saw a pic of the weld and it really looked like it would hold, that's why I said I was surprised they failed.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Former Moderator

The major benefit of running the SPC ball joints is you can add lots of caster and camber by angling the ball joint slot. I fried an SPC ball joint cover when I ran without the brake dust shields--I should have wrapped the ball joint in aluminum tape, but I digress.

I have done the install on all three of my SPC ball joints. When I replaced the melted ball joint with another SPC I kept playing around with the slot angle which required me to press it in and out several times. I ended up with the slot plate spinning in the upper a-arm when I was trying to apply 120 ft-lbs of torque so I had to spot weld it in place to keep it from spinning. I will need to replace my upper a-arms sometime anyway so I didn't have a problem with the spot weld. That's the only issue I've had with 4 years of running SPC ball joints.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put in an order for the ASTs today... hopefully i can get them on before the June event

As for the ball joints, the posts above are not exactly confidence inspiring, is there anything I need to be wary of before installing them? Sounds like 1. watch the tq 2. don't press/pull them too many times 3. use a heat shield... anything else?

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread