Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 Track Junkie Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, someone crashed a ZR1 this weekend, quite hard into the tire wall in T2. It looked like an expensive repair or totaled.

Rob, my weekend was virtually worthless. I had one dry session on sat where I ran a 129.1 without pushing nearly as hard as i did to run a 129.9 on stock suspension. I was having a blast with the suspension and camber improvements. I was all set to take a couple secs off my time and then on the second lap of the second session i hit the gator teeth in T10, which i do about half the time. The welds on the left SPC ball joint that i showed you broke, the nut and washer popped off, which essentially disconnected the top control arm from the hub. The left wheel instantly went from -3.25 degrees of camber to +6 degrees of camber. The car swerved to the right, but I was able to save what otherwise would have been a hard hit to the right side wall, thank god, and had to get towed in.

Kevin Helms with Hondaworks welded the whole mess together to get me home, but he did such a good job i went back out in the last session. Went slow(er) and thought i was set for Sunday. In bleeding my brakes sunday I discovered that the nylon or whatever was in the ball joint had disintegrated and there was play in the joint. I threw in the towel and went home.

So from Friday to Sunday i got about 40 mins of track time and didnt get a chance to put in even one a fast lap.

I am going to address the ball joint issue with Ptuning to see if they are going to fully refund the cost of "installing" them and aligning the car. If they don't I will post up photos along with a more detailed account of their work and the near disaster resulting from it.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
my weekend was virtually worthless.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Not recent, maybe from the S2000 years. I don't think its different that most, early apex like Bill says and just unwind to use all the room past the hump.
Originally Posted by robrob
George, do you have any video of your line through 9?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry Matt,

Originally Posted by dollar
Originally Posted by dc_s2k' timestamp='1302540573' post='20453139

Old 04-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by dc_s2k
Actually, someone crashed a ZR1 this weekend, quite hard into the tire wall in T2. It looked like an expensive repair or totaled.

Rob, my weekend was virtually worthless. I had one dry session on sat where I ran a 129.1 without pushing nearly as hard as i did to run a 129.9 on stock suspension. I was having a blast with the suspension and camber improvements. I was all set to take a couple secs off my time and then on the second lap of the second session i hit the gator teeth in T10, which i do about half the time. The welds on the left SPC ball joint that i showed you broke, the nut and washer popped off, which essentially disconnected the top control arm from the hub. The left wheel instantly went from -3.25 degrees of camber to +6 degrees of camber. The car swerved to the right, but I was able to save what otherwise would have been a hard hit to the right side wall, thank god, and had to get towed in.

Kevin Helms with Hondaworks welded the whole mess together to get me home, but he did such a good job i went back out in the last session. Went slow(er) and thought i was set for Sunday. In bleeding my brakes sunday I discovered that the nylon or whatever was in the ball joint had disintegrated and there was play in the joint. I threw in the towel and went home.

So from Friday to Sunday i got about 40 mins of track time and didnt get a chance to put in even one a fast lap.

I am going to address the ball joint issue with Ptuning to see if they are going to fully refund the cost of "installing" them and aligning the car. If they don't I will post up photos along with a more detailed account of their work and the near disaster resulting from it.

Glad to saved the car. Was the "work" done on the joint something P-Tuning did or did the joint just fail?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Beard
Had an awesome time today. My instructor Brian was amazing and really helped me learn the track fast as well as work on trying to smooth out my inputs. At the end of every session I would get a little more aggressive and the last one ended up biting me in the ass.

Here is a short video of the impact, the car isn't too bad but needs a bumper/headlight/fender.

http://vimeo.com/22210735

I actually don't see enough pinch/steering input after apex to completely explain that spin. Lifting as you corrected might have insured that you spun but I almost wonder if you ran over something (little bit of coolant/oil etc)? Just enough to get you started and then lifting sealed the deal.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TubeDriver
I actually don't see enough pinch/steering input after apex to completely explain that spin. Lifting as you corrected might have insured that you spun but I almost wonder if you ran over something (little bit of coolant/oil etc)? Just enough to get you started and then lifting sealed the deal.

My initial thought when it happened was that the tires had been over worked and were getting greasy the previous lap, so i assumed I got on the gas to early/came in to fast going through 9 and it broke traction. That lead me to lift a little and try to counter steer. After looking at the video and seeing it was more of a bump that upset the car i think saying in the gas could have helped save it (or remain out of the tire wall). My instructor was telling me all weekend to track out far after turn 9, but I never fully got that line down and that is definitely where i will focus next time. It surprised me when it happened because the car felt very balanced at high speed corners. (stock suspension/saner front sway/245 star specs all around)
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver

Glad to saved the car. Was the "work" done on the joint something P-Tuning did or did the joint just fail?
something Ptuning did
Old 04-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dollar
Sorry to hear, Matt. I hope everything will work out for you with Ptuning.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Beepbeep
Originally Posted by dollar' timestamp='1302541970' post='20453264
[quote name='dc_s2k' timestamp='1302540573' post='20453139']
Sorry to hear, Matt. I hope everything will work out for you with Ptuning.
[/quote]

This is why I end up doing so much stuff myself.

Does anyone know of another option for negative camber adjustment in the front OTHER than the SPC ball joints? The design really isn't very good. I found some Asura thing on s2ki but it looks like that is a full set of 8 control arms.

Quick Reply: 2011 Track Junkie Thread