Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

2011 MD/NOVA Auto-X Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:20 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Most organizations have loaner helmets so really all you have to do to try it out is make sure that your car is in good mechanical condition. (Lug nuts tightened, etc.)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I went to a couple websites and did some research to find more details. Looking forward to get into some events. I'm afraid i'll like it too much and be addicted lol anyone want to trade me a supercharger for my turbo set up? hahaha Thanks again guys.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by H4RD ON
I feel like a big time "NOOB" but how do i get involved with some of these auto-x's? I just noticed that quite a few of them are located at the high school i went to and drive by everyday. Any help will be appreciated! thanks.
My first auto-x was mid summer last year, with tidewater sports car club (TSSC) down in south VA. They had a "new to autocross" event with a ton of instructors. All morning they had several typical obstacles (slalom, wide turns, boxes, etc) set up to practice on, then a full course in the afternoon. It was a long haul from DC but well worth it in my opinion to learn in a laid back setting. It was a great group of instructors as well.

Locally, I've only run with CDC but have very good experiences. Just show up to an event, let some people know you're brand new, go on some ride alongs, and request an instructor for your first run. They have two events coming up Apr 23 & Apr 30.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDelta
go on some ride alongs, and request an instructor for your first run
Both of these are really good advice. Don't be afraid to ask for ride alongs, or for an instructor. Most people will be happy to give you a ride along, especially in the morning, and having an instructor is great to help you navigate.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Yea, +1 to NoDelta's comments. In the morning driver meeting they ask who is new. Don't be afraid to raise your hand. Plus, the S2000 community here has some seasoned folks. We'll help you out.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by H4RD ON
I feel like a big time "NOOB" but how do i get involved with some of these auto-x's? I just noticed that quite a few of them are located at the high school i went to and drive by everyday. Any help will be appreciated! thanks.
Wow i was just about to ask those same questions. other than going to an event, are there any auto x schools?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Xzibit A
Originally Posted by H4RD ON' timestamp='1302668016' post='20460309
Wow i was just about to ask those same questions. other than going to an event, are there any auto x schools?
Check into TSCC. I think they run it every year. I was in touch with one of their member's "APEATWO" before I went down. Great guy.
Also - check CDC's website (capitaldrivingclub.com I think). They have a FAQ with *A TON* of good information. I read it at least 8 times before my first event.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Xzibit A
Originally Posted by H4RD ON' timestamp='1302668016' post='20460309

Short notice and bit of a hike north, but Philly region SCCA has a novice school this weekend (17th) in Warminster:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...F13B153040860B
Never did their school myself, but they're good people, and it's a great venue--old airfield runway.

DC region SCCA does awesome novice schools... unfortunately, they're only doing two weekends this year 04/23-24 and 05/28-29, and the first two on the 23rd and 24th are filled up. They do get their share of dropouts, though, so might be worth getting on the waitlist. I can PM you the coordinator's email if you want to ask how long the waitlist is.
http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocro...5/Default.aspx
Old 04-14-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by NoDelta
Originally Posted by Xzibit A' timestamp='1302729414' post='20463569
[quote name='H4RD ON' timestamp='1302668016' post='20460309'] I feel like a big time "NOOB" but how do i get involved with some of these auto-x's? I just noticed that quite a few of them are located at the high school i went to and drive by everyday. Any help will be appreciated! thanks.
Check into TSCC. I think they run it every year. I was in touch with one of their member's "APEATWO" before I went down. Great guy. Also - check CDC's website (capitaldrivingclub.com I think). They have a FAQ with *A TON* of good information. I read it at least 8 times before my first event. [/quote] I went to this route my self, Jeff (apeatwo) is the guy for this club. I'm suprise he is not the President of this club yet.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So is anyone going to the SCCA AutoX this Sunday at FedEx Field? I'll be there in STR. Looks like the weather will be good for this one, as opposed to snowy like the last one

Quick Reply: 2011 MD/NOVA Auto-X Thread