2011 MD/NOVA Auto-X Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by e3opian
Lulz 52 out of 65.
I think you took 1st place in the blown-shock class though
Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

It was banging off the bump stop all the way home.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welp....got the car fixed this morning....hopefully for the long term. Was immediately faster than yesterday. Ended up with a 38.41 with a passenger. Most of the people that ran both days were faster on Saturday .....not really sure why....though it was a bit cooler out. Might have had a 37.9 in it had it been warmer, without a passenger and I had a little more talent.

I'll see a few of you guys next Sunday at SCCA Practice.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Glad to hear that's sorted out, Mike.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 PM

I found the biggest, thickest zip ties you have ever seen.....worked like a damn champ. Between Larry Casey and myself we put 11 runs on the car today without any hint of an issue.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I'll see a few of you guys next Sunday at SCCA Practice.
I'll be there too! This'll be my first AutoX for the season and first ever down in the Mid-Atlantic area. Looking forward to meeting you guys (and probably getting slower times, haha) .
Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Utter fail of a day....broken phone, seat, and bruised knees from trying to hold myself in place. I was soooooooo slow and the quick fix turned out worse than the initial problem. Best was a 39.2 dirty I believe and 39.6 clean......fail. I wasn't planning on going tomorrow (even though I signed up), but I may come if the seat is somewhat fixed. I know the car would have done a low-mid 38 if I hadn't failed the car and the seat fail me. Good turn out of S2k's.....nice to put some faces to names.
Mike,

What is wrong with your seat rail? I remember this from last year, is this common on the 350Zs? You should get a new rail.
I will be at the SCCA Practice event. STR looks fun we have a lot cars and very competitive people. I still need to work on my car, I have not touch it since last year; I have been really busy lately, but hopefully I will get some work done this week.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll probably run the SCCA T&T this weekend. My car is NOT set up (just installed coilovers and have not had an alignment yet and I will be on OEM wheels/tires) but I want to get a sense of what the car is like.

Red Miata STR.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by an2ny
Mike,

What is wrong with your seat rail? I remember this from last year, is this common on the 350Zs? You should get a new rail.
I will be at the SCCA Practice event. STR looks fun we have a lot cars and very competitive people. I still need to work on my car, I have not touch it since last year; I have been really busy lately, but hopefully I will get some work done this week.
Not common. Basically the same thing happened at Frederick at the end of last year. Fixed it the next morning and it was fine for the last event of the year. The car then sat until a week ago. I thought the problem was solved so I payed attention to it. First turn on Saturday it let go again. The frame is slightly bent....just enough that the slider pops out. I tired using a small zip tie to stem the problem on Sat afternoon....as it was all I had. It wasn't enough to hold it in place, though. I was going to just weld it in a fixed position, but I can't. The seat needs to be able to slide all the way forward and back to get all 4 bolts put in. So.....I got some massive zip ties, again, and essentially made the frame rigid. It held for all 11 runs myself and Larry Casey put on the car yesterday. I plan to pull it out again and reinforce it with two more of those huge zip ties. Hopefully that will solve it for good. If not I will break down and buy a race seat.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely had a great time with CDC on Saturday and it was good to put some names around here together with faces.
I was surprised on pulling my times down to 43.9 on the final run.
Thanks to all for the morning ride-alongs & looking forward to the next event!

Quick Reply: 2011 MD/NOVA Auto-X Thread