Member S2000 Classifieds and For Sale Items for sale by Members. PAID MEMBERSHIP REQUIRED to post classified ads with a paid membership.
Mark this thread as Sold

Cobalt Brake Pads For Endless / J's Racing 6 POT

Old 09-05-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Damn hurricanes are slowing things up in Florida Hope all is well though.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 AM

Ok... We're back on track with this project

Pads are in production right now and it sounds like I should be able to do some testing at Thunderhill on Nov 7th. I will update once I get some ideas on the final pricing.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Finally got the update that everyone has been waiting for!

There was a mix up but it might turn out to be a good thing....I'll let you know after I test but I originally ordered the XR2 compound but they accidentally made XR1 So now I'm stuck with a few set....Like I said maybe its a good thing or maybe it's a bad thing. Pads will be here next week and I'll be testing them at Thunderhill on Nov 7th so come on out and say hi

They guys did some research for me and talked to the current teams to find out what they have been using with success. As it turns out they have been using a XR1 & XR3 combo on their race cars. They said that this has been the best combo Notice the Cobalt sticker under the number plate Testing will be done with the XR3 rear pad compound. I will give my feedback to the guys so that we can determine if its the best bias or if we need to move up or down in the series to get the best balance and make sure ABS is still engaged by the fronts first. An approved combo for our set up will take all the mess out o testing it for your self.

Pricing has not been finalized just yet and the fitment still needs some testing but here is the basics you can look forward too.....
  • Front pad sets will most likely be under $200.00 (I paid 189.00 for XR1 that's about 5 bucks more than the OEM fitment ). I hope that's not a mistake cause I want to pay those prices forever! It is very likely that they gave me a hook up so expect to pay more....even as much as double for the time being until we know for sure. Again XR1 is a compound that is being used by FIA GT teams....These are full race pads with no compromises and they are not cheap! Andie set the price but there is no telling if it will be more and by how much but as it looks now the prices are very close to the OEM fitment
  • Total pad thickness has been increased 3-5mm per pad (need to confirm fitment still). That's equivalent to a 20-30% increase in pad life (remember again that the pads are very close to the same price as the OEM fitment but with extended life)!
  • Pads are not for sale to the general public. You must have an account with Cobalt to buy directly. I will be working to make sure that any compound you want is readily available for sale very soon.
  • Stay tuned for a cheap US made replacement rotor to match (approximately $150-$170 per rotor including new hardware vs. the $300-400+ per replacement rotor from Japan). This would effectively replace all wait time and insane pricing from Japan. This means that if you have already coughed up enough to by one of these kits or your thinking about it...Your wear items will be very close to OEM replacement prices but with increased function and life Now BBK are starting to look real good again huh?

Again this is just preliminary information... Prices and availability may change. Stay tuned for more information!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome progress. I will definitely try out a set when I'm done with my Endless pads and rotors.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just as an FYI...you can get these from Carbotech as well
Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Nov 5 2008, 09:07 PM
just as an FYI...you can get these from Carbotech as well
Whats the part number? That's news to me I wish someone would have told me this before I went through this whole process to get Cobalt to include them in their inventory (its been a long road).

I talked to the CarboTech guys last month and they told me that they did not have this backing plate shape currently in their production line. Form the last conversation I had with the guys....They could tool the new backing plate shape but it would be the same process that I'm currently going through with Cobalt. I'm a firm believer in Cobalt's products so I went with them in the end. They were the clear winner when choosing between the two

CarboTech said that they could reline the old backing plates but that doesn't solve the problem...No US pad manufacture makes these pads that you can simply order and avoid all the pricing / downtime and hassles of Japanese products. Sending in backing plates and rotating them is an even bigger problem in my mind.
Cobalt is the only US manufacture (that I know of) that is making pads for this fitment, via my efforts. The testing has not been completed yet so they are not for sale to the public just yet but they will be very soon so stay tuned

I ran the CT XP10 & XP8 combo at my last track event cause Cobalt had not finished the tooling and they were unable to get me the pads I required for the OEM calipers in time due to heavy demand from various racing series that they supply. However CT was able to deliver new rotors and pads on time and they were really good. Again they were not able to supply pads for these calipers at the time so I had to swap back to my OEM calipers

Good news is that the Cobalt pad are ready for testing! I'll be at Thunderhill on Friday the 7th giving them a good shake down. Come on out and say hi
Old 11-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Bump for a PIMP-A$$ BBK!
Old 11-06-2008, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by rob.ok,Nov 6 2008, 01:54 AM
Whats the part number? That's news to me I wish someone would have told me this before I went through this whole process to get Cobalt to include them in their inventory (its been a long road).

I talked to the CarboTech guys last month and they told me that they did not have this backing plate shape currently in their production line. Form the last conversation I had with the guys....They could tool the new backing plate shape but it would be the same process that I'm currently going through with Cobalt. I'm a firm believer in Cobalt's products so I went with them in the end. They were the clear winner when choosing between the two

CarboTech said that they could reline the old backing plates but that doesn't solve the problem...No US pad manufacture makes these pads that you can simply order and avoid all the pricing / downtime and hassles of Japanese products. Sending in backing plates and rotating them is an even bigger problem in my mind.
Cobalt is the only US manufacture (that I know of) that is making pads for this fitment, via my efforts. The testing has not been completed yet so they are not for sale to the public just yet but they will be very soon so stay tuned

I ran the CT XP10 & XP8 combo at my last track event cause Cobalt had not finished the tooling and they were unable to get me the pads I required for the OEM calipers in time due to heavy demand from various racing series that they supply. However CT was able to deliver new rotors and pads on time and they were really good. Again they were not able to supply pads for these calipers at the time so I had to swap back to my OEM calipers

Good news is that the Cobalt pad are ready for testing! I'll be at Thunderhill on Friday the 7th giving them a good shake down. Come on out and say hi
you're mostly right, in that they don't have the pad currently in their production line. i guess i should have been more clear; what i meant was that they could get them for you, kind of the same way you're getting them from cobalt. i'm sure depending on demand, they may consider adding it if they thought it would be worth their while. my apologies for not being clear

on another note...do you have a drawing of the plate? can you send it to me? i dabble with some things like this myself

oh and cobalt? BOOO
i've actually seen and heard varied opinions about their pads...glad you found something that worked for you. just out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the carbotech?

seeing as how i'm in NC, kinda doubt i'll be able to make it out to the track tomorrow
Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=my2ks2k,Nov 6 2008, 06:30 AM]you're mostly right, in that they don't have the pad currently in their production line. i guess i should have been more clear; what i meant was that they could get them for you, kind of the same way you're getting them from cobalt. i'm sure depending on demand, they may consider adding it if they thought it would be worth their while. my apologies for not being clear

on another note...do you have a drawing of the plate? can you send it to me? i dabble with some things like this myself

oh and cobalt? BOOO
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bad rep came from the new GT Sport compound they came out with last year. Their XR line is excellent and i would have no concerns running them when my Endless pads are finished. I know plenty of racers that use them in their cars with very good results.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Brake Pads For Endless / J's Racing 6 POT