JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

You guys say bride or brid?

Old 04-20-2010, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't 'tein' also meaning heaven or heavenly in Japanese? I thought the company had a double meaning with their name; a combination of "technical innovation" and the Japanese word 'tein' as in 'of the highest' (standards, quality, etc.)

And it really chaps my ass when some one says tee-in and I correct them and they tell me I'm wrong. :-/
Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 AM

And one more thing on the Tein argument. If you are American and saying Tee-in you don't know the English language well; if we're pronouncing some of these words exactly as they're spelled then Tein would be Tain simply because of the 'e' and 'i' relations (as in neighbor or weigh )
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by artificeexks,Mar 26 2010, 03:09 PM
Technically, there are no characters in Katakana or Kanji to represent the English word "Bride". From my Mandarin translation, I always thought it was bride: "bur-reed" "doh" where the "doh" or the syllable is spoken so fast that you often don't hear it. It's like pronouncing Sasuke: "sas" "suk" "ke" where the syllable, "uk" or "u", is spoken so fast that you don't hear it and is often dropped, which makes it sound like "sas" "ke".

To add; Tein: "ten" and not "tin" where the e is pronounced like "ai" or just longer.

If you speak a tone based language like Mandarin, Japanese, or Thai, it's really not that difficult to understand the difference between tones or toned based languages.
Japanese doesn't have tones; it's not even related to the tonal languages at all... it is a pitch-accented language (vs a stress accented language like English).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pitch_accent

Also the 'dropping' of vowels in Japanese has nothing to do with the speed at which it's spoken. Instead if a vowel (only 'u' and 'i' usually) is surrounded by voiceless consonants or preceded by a voiceless consonant at the end of the world then it becomes devoiced (you don't use your vocal chords while saying it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...logy#Devoicing

So anyway. in Katakana Bride is spelled "Buriddo"

The "double-d" sound is only found in loan words, so most Japanese pronounce it as "double-t"
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~kawahara...ara_UMOP31.pdf (page 2)

So.... to be honest I think the closest pronunciation is "burrito"
Old 04-21-2010, 02:57 PM

bride ans tein

recaros seats are called rexpensive seats
Old 05-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ahwa2k,Apr 21 2010, 09:05 AM
Japanese doesn't have tones; it's not even related to the tonal languages at all... it is a pitch-accented language (vs a stress accented language like English).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pitch_accent

Also the 'dropping' of vowels in Japanese has nothing to do with the speed at which it's spoken. Instead if a vowel (only 'u' and 'i' usually) is surrounded by voiceless consonants or preceded by a voiceless consonant at the end of the world then it becomes devoiced (you don't use your vocal chords while saying it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanes...logy#Devoicing

So anyway. in Katakana Bride is spelled "Buriddo"

The "double-d" sound is only found in loan words, so most Japanese pronounce it as "double-t"
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~kawahara...ara_UMOP31.pdf (page 2)

So.... to be honest I think the closest pronunciation is "burrito"
Japanese is a tone based language. Tone-styled languages are classified in that one word or character in the written language can mean several things depending on context, pronunciation and accent. This is why puns in Japanese and Mandarin are never understood when translated to English. This is what I mean by tone. The whole "dropping" of "syllables" and not vowels has everything to do with our biological pronunciation, which involves our neurological/cognitive interpretation with a combination of biological mechanism to create that pronunciation or for easier understanding: "speed" of language. Sourcing wiki is invalid when compared to taking linguistics. I was forced to take Mandarin courses throughout grade school and wandered off into Japanese when I entered college. I just used the concept I learned from my parents and manage to travel through Japan, Thailand, and S. China with enough to understand other people.

IMO, just pronounce it the way you would pronounce it in English.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:57 PM

when i watch the best motoring videos i always here them call the s2000 which sounds like " S nissen".

Can anyone explain this?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by armos2k,May 1 2010, 07:57 PM
when i watch the best motoring videos i always here them call the s2000 which sounds like " S nissen".

Can anyone explain this?
simple if you think about it.

S = S

ni = 2

sen = thousand
Old 05-05-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by trinydex,Apr 19 2010, 03:14 PM
because that's how it's pronounced
Notice the French flag. "Bride" in French sounds like "brid".

In French, "Bride" is also used for horse saddles. I don't know if the company name originates from French or Japanese, but perhaps there's a link.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You guys need to watch more anime. Everyone totally missed it....."i" is pronounced as a short sharp "e".

There are 5 vowels in the Japanese language. (a), pronounced "ahh", (i), pronounced like "e" in "eat", (u), pronounced like "oo" in "soon", (e), pronounced like "e" in "elk", and (o), pronounced "oh". All Hiragana characters end with one of these vowels, with the exception of (n). The only "consonant" that does not resemble that of English is the Japanese "r". It is slightly "rolled" as if it were a combination of a "d", "r", and "l".

-Rob
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

Either way you want to pronounce it, I'm not sitting in anything that displays the word "Bride" behind my head