JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Who Knows tuning with Emanage Ultimate?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MugenRioS2k,Jul 26 2007, 08:53 AM
Since the ULT advance timing a % over the factory if you advance the timing to far (or conditions cause a detectable knock by the stock ECU) the stock computer will retard the timing despite the ULT advanced timing factor.

Example would be

you have the ULT to advance 5 deg over stock and everything is fine.
you then try an advance timing to 10deg over stock and the stock ecu detects knock

the stock ECU will retard timing by its internal knock detection protocols despite the ULT advancing timing until nock is not longer detected.

While this does give you some protection if you try and advance the timing to far in a specific load cell knock can happen and damage the motor prior to the stock ECU being able to retard timing.

Moral of the story is take the system to a reputable tuner and have him/her tune your car.
if you dont mind sharing, can you elaborate on the tune your running?

AFRs?
timing?
vtec?

and any other useful info. thanks!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Each and every car is different

General condenses is for a standard piston 4 stroke engine most develop their maximum power at air/fuel ratios of 12.5:1 - 14:1, maximum fuel economy at 16.2:1 - 17.6:1, and good load transitions from about 11:1 - 12.5:1. However, in practical applications, engine air/fuel ratios at maximum power are often richer than the quoted 12.5:1, especially in forced induction engines where the excess fuel is used to cool combustion and to prevent detonation and 14.7 is considered the optimal balance between economy and power for light load applications.

The key thing to look at while tuning you
Old 07-26-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MugenRioS2k,Jul 26 2007, 10:37 AM

Sorry I will not publish my initial or final ignition and A/F numbers I tune for as these values can be considered confidential information.
since when did someones tune become confidential info? unless youve signed a contract with Greddy saying that its defcon5, there nothing specail about it. there used to be a day when guys would help you out, give you pointers, advice. it seems nowadays that everyone got some specail "tune" that they "cant talk about". thats bullshit and we all know it. if your a beta car then ill give it to you. ive shared my tune(vafc2) 10000000 times with guys that are interested. i make sure and tell them not to copy for the motors sake, but still, its atleast a direction to head in.

i get so sick and tired of guys that act like their car is so specail, and beleive me they'll be the first one to tell you about it, but then when the general public wants to know the specifics of it, they pull the "confidentail" card our cause they dont want to be copied, or they dont want to be challenged in some odd way.

and i dont mean for this rant to be pointed at you MugenRio, its not, it just was the staw that broke the camels back for me. ive been researching EU for three months now, and not ONE owner i talk to will give me any direction on where to start from or any tips theyve learned from tuning.(except nate, thanks bro).

and some have told me that its their tuners "tune" and that their tuner doesnt want it leaked. **** that. all they are doing is adjusting set peramiters. thats it. their not writing software here or making programs. their using a retail product.

IMHO, everyone needs to get off this shit and get back to the way the scene was 5-7 years ago when buddies from the fourms would come to your house and wrench on your car with you all nite, and they were gald to help you do. now its a , "mines better than yours, and i cant tell you why" scene.

END RANT.

P.S
MugenRio, please dont take this personally, its not an attack on you at all bro.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM

No problem man I understand where you are coming from.

And BTW my car is a Beta car and I have messed with some of the code.

As a peace offering we at the shop have figured out (with the help of WLAURENT) how to get both the Air and water tags to read correctly with the ULT with out messing up what the stock computer sees and the low temp reading on the dash.

Greddy will be fixing this in the manual so its not a big secret
Jumpers 13 and 14 must be set to the open position and select HN_WT-2 from your water temp probe and MT_AT-1 for your AIT probe.

Greddy will be fixing the IAT probe scaling in a future specifically for the S2000s IAT probe.

We tune a lot of local race cars at our shop and we have agreements with most of them not to share there fuel/ignition maps some times they even request not to share there output numbers.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MugenRioS2k,Jul 26 2007, 11:46 AM

And BTW my car is a Beta car and I have messed with some of the code.
im not to proud to say.

i was pwnd!
Old 07-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would it be more beneficial to just use the Knock and Water Inputs instead of the Air, wouldnt there be more tuning ability from those?? I was looking to get a boomslang harness and they give you four options 1). Air & Water Inputs 2). Water & knock 3). Air & Knock 4). Dual Knock
Which one should I get, I plan on staying NA if that will affect your answer, thanks. Shock
Old 07-26-2007, 02:55 PM

As it is programed now there is no tunning features for the S2000 that use Knock as an input to any of the MAPs.

Its only for data logging
Old 07-26-2007, 07:19 PM

MugenRio, if I were to get a harness I should use Air and Water inputs, seems to be the only option here? Sorry for a dumb question, still learning thanks again.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Jul 26 2007, 11:01 AM
i was pwnd!
You're gonna get pwned again when I get my car tuned
Old 07-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Yep air/water is the only setup that allows you to use the maximum functionality that is currently available with the ULT. I do not use the water for any adjustment maps just nice to data log and compare it to my DEFI water read out. I use IAT for fuel adjustment maps and for ignition retard if the IATs get to hi.

When the knock functionality gets turn on then I will change the water tag over to the knock sensor.

Quick Reply: Who Knows tuning with Emanage Ultimate?