JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

VAFC 2 tuning but no gains

Old 04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you post some of your dyno charts from the tuning session with the AFRs. That might help us.

I've never heard of your problem though...you should have been able to lean it out a bit for more hp with those mods.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Apr 26 2008, 03:31 PM
Can you post some of your dyno charts from the tuning session with the AFRs. That might help us.

I've never heard of your problem though...you should have been able to lean it out a bit for more hp with those mods.
Forgot to ask for the dyno printouts. I could always ask for them, but it will be very hard to figure out which adjustments we made for each run.....

As far as the tuner trying to rich the AF i told him most people lean it out, so he went with me on that, but it didn't give any gains either.

As far as i know the tuner seemed to know what he was doing. All he said made sense to me. But i'm thinking it might be the VAFC thats playing us. Don't know if anyone has had trouble with these? I bought it from a user on this board and he seems to have cut the cable (from the harness to the unit) and then reconnected all the wires..... As far as i can see he hasn't made any mistakes in his work. An the VAFC is displaying everything correctly. So i might try it again with a different VAFC if i can get my hands on one..... It all seems very strange to me..... The numbers didn't make any sense. But that might also be the backsniffer as someone pointed out.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:58 PM

my god 16's? Isnt 15s blow your motor area? Try another tuner and if you still see no gains then check all the wiring.

I gained 8whp with my tune and we couldve made more but ran out of time. Try to get the a/f ratios into the low 13s.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:10 PM

Yes 16s is very lean. Probably high octane fuel and cold temperature saving the day there for all i know...... Anyways A/F was about 13,5-13,7 range all the way op to around 7500rpm where it dropped. Tried to lean it out a bit but it just gave a power loss.

I'm not sure if i want to take it to another tuner. Tuning is expensive as he** here. Cost me about 700$ for a tuning session that gave me nothing (and that was a 20% off price!!). I'm justing thinking my money is better spent on gears or coilovers rather than those 8-10 hp......
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM

Honestly I wouldnt pay them if they tuned my car and saw no gains what so ever....

The VAFC2 is VERY easy to tune, you can do it yourself, just buy some dyno time, shouldnt cost more than 50 bucks for like an hour.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by qbmurderer13,Apr 30 2008, 12:21 PM
Honestly I wouldnt pay them if they tuned my car and saw no gains what so ever....

The VAFC2 is VERY easy to tune, you can do it yourself, just buy some dyno time, shouldnt cost more than 50 bucks for like an hour.
Hard to get away with not paying them as your really paying for using their dyno.....

I know the VAFC2 is easy to set up because i was the one doing it while they operated the dyno and all that other technical stuff. But buying dyno time is insanely expensive here....... It'll cost me about 300$ for an hour, and half of that hour will be spent on rigging the car and "unrigging" it again.....

Thats why i want to find out what's wrong before i go wasting more money on dynoruns.....
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 AM

Any 2000 model year S2000 should see some decent gains with SAFC tuning. Something else is going on.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MINES13,May 1 2008, 06:49 AM
Any 2000 model year S2000 should see some decent gains with SAFC tuning. Something else is going on.
Thats what i'm thinking. Just need to figure out what's going on...... There are some variables. I just vant rule out some of them, like the VAFC not working properly, etc...

Think i'll spend some money on a wideband lambda. That way i should be able to test the VAFC a little more by doing a few small adjustmens and see if it gives the correct changes in AF. It should also give me an indication if the backsniffer is correct if i decide for another dynosession.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigwhite,Apr 26 2008, 05:43 PM
dont trust the backsniffer, try to use another wideband at the same time to double check. You might have wrong readings.
its so funny i finnally seen someone say this. i went to dyno yesterday to tune aem ems in my car. the back sniffer reads damn near .7 higher then my aem wideband and i am positive my aem wideband is calc'd right. what kind of deviation has anyone else seen?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camuman,May 6 2008, 08:31 AM
its so funny i finnally seen someone say this. i went to dyno yesterday to tune aem ems in my car. the back sniffer reads damn near .7 higher then my aem wideband and i am positive my aem wideband is calc'd right. what kind of deviation has anyone else seen?
Are you still running a cat? If so, that's why.

Quick Reply: VAFC 2 tuning but no gains