JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Questions re: J's Racing oil catch can

Old 10-14-2006, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Questions re: J's Racing oil catch can

I just installed a J's Racing oil catch can on my car and have a few questions:

1. There are two "nipples" on the catch can. I believe one is "in" (from the valve cover) and the other is "out" (to the intake manifold). Not knowing for sure, I figured the "in" nipple was the one closest to the firewall. Can somebody please confirm this for me?
2. There is a clear tube on the "catch can" side of the catch can. I am not sure what the purpose of this tube is as I can't image that I would see any oil flowing threw it. Does anybody know what the purpose of this tube is?
3. There is a clear tube on the "coolant reserve" side of the catch can. This tube shows the coolant level. I am not sure how to interpret the minimum/maximum points for this application. Should the coolant level be around the middle of this tube?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 PM

Received 469 Likes on 400 Posts

post pics.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:20 PM

1. Not having seen a J's catch tank in person (not sure if there is anything special or different about it), usually on the catch tanks do not matter which nipple goes in or out.

2. With experience in my WRX, the catch tank especially with a baffle catches kind of like a dirty water looking fluid (the blowby). That tube should tell you how much of it is in there.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by freshdrivewrx,Oct 14 2006, 01:20 PM
2. With experience in my WRX, the catch tank especially with a baffle catches kind of like a dirty water looking fluid (the blowby). That tube should tell you how much of it is in there.
If that is the case,would I be correct to assume that when the fluid level gets to a certain point (which should take a long time) the catch can is no longer useful?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Oct 14 2006, 01:05 PM
post pics.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am holding off on taking/publishing any pics of the engine bay until I am done with a few other things (which will be done in the next few weeks).
Old 10-14-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Oct 14 2006, 12:32 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am holding off on taking/publishing any pics of the engine bay until I am done with a few other things (which will be done in the next few weeks).
come on no secrets!
Old 10-14-2006, 01:36 PM

PCV and breather y'ed into inlet of catchcan, the other is an open-atmosphere dump. I got the silicon hoses from McMaster-Carr, all the other crap all collapsed.

I used the nipple in the front of the car as the inlet and the rear as the outlet, I'm certain it doesn't make a difference.

The clear tube on the side is to show if the catch can is filling up, the way I have mine setup even if it gets full the open atmosphere dump hose will take care of it.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by c17r15,Oct 14 2006, 02:36 PM

PCV and breather y'ed into inlet of catchcan, the other is an open-atmosphere dump. I got the silicon hoses from McMaster-Carr, all the other crap all collapsed.

I used the nipple in the front of the car as the inlet and the rear as the outlet, I'm certain it doesn't make a difference.

The clear tube on the side is to show if the catch can is filling up, the way I have mine setup even if it gets full the open atmosphere dump hose will take care of it.
I do not think you hooked yours up correctly. The catch can is supposed to go "in between" the valve cover (PCV valve) and the intake manifold. It does not look like you hooked it up that way. Have you seen this thread?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...T&f=22&t=89869
Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 PM

That's how I had mine hooked up at first but I was still getting blow by through the intake breather. Here's how I had it, note the collapsed crappy clear "reinforced" hoses:

The way I have mine now there's no blow by whatsoever and the all of the crankcase pressure is relieved. Essentially the PCV system was separated from the air intake system.

I think it makes sense when you think about how the pressure/oil vapors move through in the stock configuration.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:02 PM

I borrowed Young_R's current install over at AJ:

Quick Reply: Questions re: J's Racing oil catch can