JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

New Mugen Header

Old 01-24-2006, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New Mugen Header

Was looking through kingmotorsports website, and noticed there is a new mugen header design out that says made specifically for the f22 engine. Look fairly close to the design of the J's header, and claims increase in hp through the entire rpm range with atleast 10 up top. any info on this? anyone have this new mugen header? curious to see how it stacks up against the J's as far as gains go.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at getting the new Mugen 04 header once the tax return comes in.

Mod that will be going on at the same time will be

Mugen Header
Thermostat
Fan switch
Radiator cap
KMS TB boring service

And a custom 3inch exhaust Cat to split.
2.25 at the split running to dual 1200CFM mufflers and a (yet to be determined) additional racing muffler to go inline where the factory resonator was to reduce some of the exhaust drone.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:30 AM

I am waiting for my tax return as well and was gonna get the js or amuse but I think im gonna go with mugen as it seems its made for specifically for the f22 where the others were made for the for any s2ks in general.

How much did this cost??

Thermostat
Fan switch
KMS TB boring service

and what does it help do??

And what do you guys think about the dyno they have?? It shows gain all over the place!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:12 AM

The KMS TB service increases the internal diameter of your TB allowing more air flow in to the engine at WOT. King also replaces the butterfly to accommodate the increased area and resets/recalibrates the TPS (throttle position sensor) so there should not be any check engine lights or incorrect fuel maps based on TPS.

The effect of TB boring is minimal unless you have upgraded at least your intake header and exhaust systems.
With a cam shaft switch out and or port and polish the effect of TB boring really starts to take effect. TB boring also really shines when going FI

For the thermostat and the fan switch change out; the new units keeps your coolant at a lower temperature. One of the factors the stock ECU uses to determine ignition timing is coolant temperatures. The lower the coolant temperatures (to a point) the ECU will advance ignition timing a bit giving you an increase in whp/wtq. However if you reduce you coolant temperatures to much you will start pulling some heat out of the combustion process reducing the amount of energy applied to your piston.

Dyno graph

I seriously doubt Kingmotorsports would miss represent the amount of power they are getting out of there s2k. That could have a deviating effect on there reputation. I did email them asking if that graph was for uncorrected or corrected power levels.

All items/services listed in my previous post will be comming from Kingmotorsports.com.

If you are going to buy any Mugen parts in the US I would not buy from anyone else except King as there service is exceptional and you know you are getting authentic Mugen parts.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most mods for f20c and f22c are interchangeable...

my amuse header fits on my ap2 with no problem...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a nice set-up. I'm staying away from the mugen cooling mods myself...a nice radiator will be enough.

Don't foget to match the intake mani with the TB for the actual gains to take effect.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:45 AM

Even if you put in a nice big radiator the steady state coolant temperatures are for the most part determined by the mass flow rate through the system which is controlled by the thermostat.

Putting in a larger radiator would yes cause the coolant post radiator to be at a lower temp but the thermostat would regulate the coolant flow accordingly to keep the steady state temperature the same.

To change the effective steady state coolant temperatures to improve both the power and the overall efficiency of the coolant system one would need to replace the thermostat/fan switch and if the capacity of the radiator is exceeded then and only then replace the radiator.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by s2kv,Feb 14 2006, 11:30 AM

And what do you guys think about the dyno they have?? It shows gain all over the place!
. quote from the email I received from King concerning the dyno plot for the 04.

"Dyno plot is for the header only; no other modifications were installed between the runs.

The dyno chart is corrected and is the usual Mugen conservative numbers. We have everything in stock except for the header which will arrive in late April.

Our throttle body is a 66 mm throttle body which is the largest you can bore the S2000 throttle body before you hit the support bearings. The mouth is taper bored to 70mm."
Old 02-14-2006, 08:13 PM

What does this mean "uncorrected or corrected power levels." What does corrected or uncorrected mean? What, so the 2.2 mugen header is not available yet?? NOooooooo!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=s2kv,Feb 14 2006, 11:13 PM] What does this mean "uncorrected or corrected power levels."

Quick Reply: New Mugen Header