JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Need a Definition of JDM

Old 06-14-2007, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a Definition of JDM

So I've been "called out" on a different forum saying that I do not understand the term JDM, so I would like to get an actual definition on the term.

The so called "caller outer" is a 21 year old EK hatch owner who just started his own parts business and has stated that most Japanese parts companies are building there parts here in the U.S.

He overheard me he said at a Honda show this weekend, telling another fellow Honda owner that my car is JDM except for the Comptech parts that I used. The JDM parts that I used are....Mugen, Zeal, Bride, Work, ARC, and Cusco. Also in the mix is a Honda JDM steering wheel, side markers and badges.

So then he proceeds to tell me that it was a good thing that the other gentleman that I was speaking to, was "none the wiser".

Anyway, the "caller outer" never came up to me at the show to discuss anything, nor did he know anything about my car.

So I would love to hear what all of you think. I believe that I definitely used high quality parts in my build up and that these products I used came from Ben at Bulletproof Automotive and Rishie at AutoRnD. I also believe that the products in my build, were truly built in Japan. So what is JDM??
Old 06-14-2007, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JDM is a state of mind
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 AM

You dont see JDM, you feel it.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Retarded. JDM means Japanese Domestic Market, any part made for use on a JAPAN SPEC vehicle. No where does this say that the part is MADE IN JAPAN. Being "JDM" is using parts exclusively made for the Japanese Domestic Market only, regardless of origin. Where the company is based does not make it JDM or not, it what market the part/vehicle is to be sold in.

Anyone that is sweating you on that is an A hole. If he really wants to get stupid with it tell him isn't "JDM" because his EK hatch was designed for the USDM market and is left hand drive, doesn't have the Japanese market under hood plate and SIMPLY wasn't produced for the JAPANESE DOMESTIC MARKET. Do whatever you want to your car and use whatever parts you like, in the end it's your money and your car. If you like it then screw what everyone else thinks.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by MINES13,Jun 14 2007, 02:45 PM
Retarded. JDM means Japanese Domestic Market, any part made for use on a JAPAN SPEC vehicle. No where does this say that the part is MADE IN JAPAN. Being "JDM" is using parts exclusively made for the Japanese Domestic Market only, regardless of origin. Where the company is based does not make it JDM or not, it what market the part/vehicle is to be sold in.

Anyone that is sweating you on that is an A hole. If he really wants to get stupid with it tell him isn't "JDM" because his EK hatch was designed for the USDM market and is left hand drive, doesn't have the Japanese market under hood plate and SIMPLY wasn't produced for the JAPANESE DOMESTIC MARKET. Do whatever you want to your car and use whatever parts you like, in the end it's your money and your car. If you like it then screw what everyone else thinks.
I smell a flame war a commin.

1) I can't agree with you Mines on the definition (although I do agree the debate is retarded), by your logic DC Sports parts would be JDM simply by virtue of being made to fit an S2000.

2) You really shouldn't care IMO Get the highest quality *original* parts that serve the function and design you desire. Where they come from is immaterial I think. Often I find these parts to come from Japan, but not always.

For the most part, I would define the classification as any part made *solely* for sale directly to the Japanese market that must be imported into whatever country you're in. Lines blur a bit when you take into account those companies that have international distribution chains

Either way its a silly argument

Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM

headlights, wheels, bumpers, seats,motors etc from japan that at one point were on a car in japan and that are now here in the u.s. on a usdm car would be considered j.d.m. parts......i think i understand why he said those companies were not "jdm"- maybe he was saying that even though they are some of the best companies out there- they are not Japanese Domestic Market parts......does that make sense?!?!?

he is a penis for being the way he was though-
Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 AM

JDM
Japanese domestic motors ^^ you feel it
Old 06-14-2007, 02:58 PM

OMG im not JDM
Old 06-14-2007, 05:56 PM

A past thread on the same issue: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=460723&st=0
Old 06-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Like it's been said, JDM = Japanese Domestic Market

I guess the reason you guys want "JDM" parts is because it's different from what you see here for the US domestic market, right? The Japanese folks are also the same way...they like being different from all the other Japanese market cars...

Quick Reply: Need a Definition of JDM