JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

i/h/e questions

Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i/h/e questions

I have ebay knockoff snorkle, comptech filter, berk polished header and 63.5mm test pipe (which will be here this week), and buddy club spec 3 exhaust. I have had snorkle and filter installed for quite a while and im waiting to install my header, test pipe and exhaust all at the same time when they arrive. Will the stock ecu adapt itself according to my setup or will I need to get at least a vafc. Im not trying to spend the money on a aem ems.

Also, should I think about some sort of temperature cooling for under the hood since i decided against the HPC coating? I commute 45 miles to work everyday if that matters.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 PM

The stock ECU will recognize the mods, but it will not adapt to them to make more power (you could even lose HP). A VAFC would be a good investment to maximize the HP you will gain from your mods E-manage and AEM would be the best and you can do a lot more with them as your mods increase (ie: Cams, Headwork, FI, and etc.)
Old 05-14-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,May 14 2007, 03:27 PM
The stock ECU will recognize the mods, but it will not adapt to them to make more power (you could even lose HP). A VAFC would be a good investment to maximize the HP you will gain from your mods E-manage and AEM would be the best and you can do a lot more with them as your mods increase (ie: Cams, Headwork, FI, and etc.)
not entirely true. blownAP has tested this....219whp untuned. the stock ecu learns and changes afrs, but not to the degree you can get with tuning. its not a must have, but you could unlock another 10-15whp with a good tune.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,May 14 2007, 02:35 PM
not entirely true. blownAP has tested this....219whp untuned. the stock ecu learns and changes afrs, but not to the degree you can get with tuning. its not a must have, but you could unlock another 10-15whp with a good tune.
I am not saying he will lose HP for sure, just saying that it is a possibility. If he gets some type of tuning device he will more than likely make power.

I was just trying to get the point accross that mods dont alway's equal more power and sometimes they will lose HP, when they are paired with some type of tuning device an increase in horsepower should alway's be the outcome . Sorry version if my prior post did not read that way ( I am at work and typing somewhat fast )
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neveronlines2k,May 14 2007, 04:03 PM
I am not saying he will lose HP for sure, just saying that it is a possibility. If he gets some type of tuning device he will more than likely make power.

I was just trying to get the point accross that mods dont alway's equal more power and sometimes they will lose HP, when they are paired with some type of tuning device an increase in horsepower should alway's be the outcome . Sorry version if my prior post did not read that way ( I am at work and typing somewhat fast )
Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM

i picked up all these parts for a little over $1000. i thought that was a good deal considering every upper end exhaust or header cost that much. im just hoping it pulls alot harder before vtec.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by versionJDM,May 14 2007, 02:35 PM
I agree with this.

You're not going to lose hp, you have a decent setup (except for the knockoff snorkle). Whether or not to get the cooling mods depends on where you live and how you drive the car ... if you live in a warm area and push the car hard, they really help insure that you don't mess up your engine. You do not really NEED to have them unless you track the car, then I would definately get at least a thermostat and fan switch. Then there's the Hondata intake manifold gasket, that's not going to increase your peak power but it will help to make sure your engine is running at peak power more often during real world conditions ... it's just a b**ch to put on.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:05 PM

i will eventually go with a vafc but for now i was just wanting to know how it would be perform without tuning, well if all your bashing is my ebay snorkle then i have nothing to worry bout, it functions exactly like the others, i have to shop vac my air box weekly cause the bugs, grass leaves, or just whatever else gets sucked up, i definitely vtec quite frequently so cooling mods seem to be a must, thanks for the replies
Old 05-14-2007, 06:17 PM

with the right combination of good parts, 63-70mm exhuast, good intake

you will never lose power, even untuned.......
Old 05-14-2007, 07:17 PM

just remember when you free up air intake and free up exhaust your actually leaning out the motor slightly... the ECU will adapt over time and compensate for it.

As far as gains you will get some.. not a whopping 20whp but a realistic 10-12hp more with the I/H/E setup.

Quick Reply: i/h/e questions