JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Amuse R1 Titan Extra fitment

Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amuse R1 Titan Extra fitment

Let me start off by stating that I have become a huge fan of Power House Amuse and there products, and aside from this issue specifically, I am more than happy w/ my purchases.

I have previously made a comment or two about a vibration emitting from the (what I believed to be) exhaust on other threads. Upon further inspection I was able to narrow it down to the Helmholtz resonator. To my surprise, it comes in direct contact with the underbody of the car. Not just when certain rpm are reached, but when the ignition is completely off as well. Not so surprisingly, it makes a hideous noise at different exhaust frequencies.

I've reduced the noise significantly by wrapping it with a product called K-Wool, which has a fairly high thermal resistance. This particular piece is about a 1/2" uncompressed, and I was able to force it between the resonator and the underbody. I also layered aluminum duct tape on one side to keep the fiberglass like product held together.

While this is all well and good, I have to ask myself if anyone else with a resonated version of this exhaust has had similar problems. The only other alternatives I've come up w/ have involved the possibility of longer hanger bushings, bending, or even welding additional material to the hangers on the car themselves. I hesitate to make either mod, because I don't know how much "give" the unit will have being that it is bolted to the cat just a few feet up.

Thanks for any advice and/or feedback!

I would also like to add that I didn't make this post with the hopes of getting the typical "After spending that much money, I would be completely pissed off" comments (although I expect there is no way around it). I'm looking for helpful advice, and feedback from people with similar issues, and their sollutions.

-Mason
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Loosen all the bolts between the sections of the exhaust and exhaust-cat connections and move the pipes around. There is a bit of wiggle room that you can use and re-tighten the bolts.

I had to do the same thing with my Greddy Ti-C single... it was rubbing the rear subframe till I adjusted it.

Blendo
Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd also try to losen, align then re-tighten all the bolts.

different sized rubber exhaust hangers could also help position the exhaust differently.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Thanks fellas!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM

Both of those sound like valid suggestions IMHO.

BTW flannery, when you get a chance, I suggest you check out the JDM muscle thread. I think you will enjoy what you see; and if you want to see more, there are plenty of pictures to post.

-Hunter
Old 09-07-2009, 09:26 AM

Well guys, I'v done all of the tightening, realigning, and loosening I know to do. Although I am able to pull the exhaust down an 1/8"-3/16" away from the sub-frame, I'm not quite sure how to KEEP it there.

Some of these photos may seem a bit redundant, but I want to get my issue across to you guys the very best I can.

Please feel free to comment, or propose solutions.

Thanks - Mason
Old 09-07-2009, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same exhuast and same year car having a similar problem =(
Old 09-07-2009, 05:09 PM

you know... with my 06 i've used different test pipes and high flow cats and the fitment was better on one vs the other.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:30 PM

I've tried it w/ both an Amuse high flow cat, and the factory cat, and I've gotten the same results w/ both. I don't know how it sounds outside of the cabin, but it sounds horrendous within.

I'm very interested in hearing more about fenixv8's issues. If I had the non-resonated version of this exhaust, I couldn't foresee any problems. The only fitting issue I have involves the Helmoltz resonator.

I'm quite honestly at a loss. Amuse, as a pioneer in S2000 performance parts development, is an icon of unsurpassed reputation. I can only assume that it is an 06' and up issue, but who knows?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM

s2kmugen, I assume you are running something other than a resonated R1 Titan?

Quick Reply: Amuse R1 Titan Extra fitment