Jacksonville 1st Coast S2000 Owners

Need to find reputable shop..

Old 05-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to find reputable shop..

less than 2 weeks ago i got my radiator replaced by serrano's off 103rd bc my car was in an accident early this year.. before i gave them the car i had no codes.. only the maintenance reqd light. got my car back a few days later and now im running a check engine light with maintenance light.

fast forward to yesterday.. im leaving work around noon and noticed my car is idling really low... as i drive and make a stop.. right when my car makes a stop the idle would go down to one bar and itd give me a light thud noise as if the engines about to die..

as im driving down 17.. still get the low idle when i stop.. but now my EPS light is flickering. i managed to stop at the gate station and right when i did the EPS light is fully on.. now i have no power steering. now after looking through the bay, i went to turn off the a/c and then EPS light turns off... when i turn the a/c back on the EPS light turns back on... am i crazy?

So since i was on 17.. i wasnt too far from the honda on cassat.. im driving with no power steering.. and all of a sudden my dash lights go out.. everything out. on top of that, as im going down cassat i can see the numbers not lit.. saying im going 35-40 mph but im really going at least 15 at the time... weird?

got to honda.. the guy was no help.. at all.. i guess cause he was waiting to goto lunch.. he wanted to check out the car and wanted to start it.. but then it wouldnt start.. he's telling me you might have a dead battery.. he goes to charge it.. the EPS light is off.. and was on my way.. not even when i left their parking light the EPS light comes back on...wtffffff... so as i left i get on cassat and noticed the car does not even rev more than 1.5rpms..wtffff..so im on cassat goin 1.5 rpms lol and then my car starts hacking.. making a hacking noise as im goin down the street so i pulled off.

i actually got my car towed to my house and went to look at it even more..

..first we took the battery to advanced to see if its gone bad.. i havent even had the battery for a year. he couldnt test it bc there wasnt enough voltage so he said he'd charge it in the back.. he charged it.. took it back home.. and the car started.. no EPS light.. drove it for a bit.. then took it back to advanced to get an alternator test and check engine light reading.. did not get an alternator test bc he said the first step is to check the battery and said the alternator could be bad and your probably running all battery... ok...?

then we went ahead and looked at the check engine light and he found 3 codes..

P1298 (Manf. Control Fuel Air Metering)
P0135 02 SEnsor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2

i also noticed after looking at the engine bay that there was a wire harness that was cut open by one of the belts and opened up some wiring.. but not completely cutting it.. im seeing this as a major issue as well.. if im correct.. the wire harness was not even connected and looked to be a piece that connects to a part of the intake.

any help is appreciated.. would like to get it fixed and back on the road.. cause after this is a maintenance job.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 AM

You could have air bubbles in your coolant. You might have a bad case of heat soak. Just my opinion and I'm not a mechanic but have experienced these issues.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the alternator.

You can do this by charging the battery enough to start the car. Once the car is running, disconnect the positive battery cable.

As for the cut harness wires, strip the insulation off and match up the wire colors. Buy some crimps and a set of wire strippers. Or, if you want to do it right, solder the wires back together and heat shrink the solder joints.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by nissanfanatic

You can do this by charging the battery enough to start the car. Once the car is running, disconnect the positive battery cable.
This works but is not encouraged- it can fry the ecu
Post a pic of the damaged harness and double check all of the connectors going to the intake manifold. Did you have them replace either radiator hose when they did the radiator.if so there are a few sensors near the upper radiator hose that should be checked as well. I am free on Thursday so if you can't figure it out by then give me a call.

I do not know any reputable shops- I do my own work. I don't trust mechanic shops.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:11 AM

I had a similar problem. Drove the car all day to and from work and went to honda to get parts and came out had a dead battery. Im guessing battery, alt., or as Josh stated, there are some connection/ground cables by the radiator that they must of messed with. Now for the wires that are cut/messed up. I would solder them back and heat shrink them. If i had time, you know i'd help bro. but school, and work and gotta lay grass sat. If you have a garage, im down for some late night work. Im off monday too so i could swing by.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic' timestamp='1306271915' post='20611199

This works but is not encouraged- it can fry the ecu
Post a pic of the damaged harness and double check all of the connectors going to the intake manifold. Did you have them replace either radiator hose when they did the radiator.if so there are a few sensors near the upper radiator hose that should be checked as well. I am free on Thursday so if you can't figure it out by then give me a call.

I do not know any reputable shops- I do my own work. I don't trust mechanic shops.
Yea, I would only disconnect the cable for a second or two. It doesn't take long...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:09 PM

I saw Zdave provide this link to another member: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/399...oss-of-speedo/
Old 05-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by yarbrough
I saw Zdave provide this link to another member: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/399...oss-of-speedo/

it is mentioned in that topic a sensor wire was broken. where should that be located.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like he was talking about the wires going to the vehicle speed sensor (on the trans, in most cars) under the car.