Jacksonville 1st Coast S2000 Owners

Kenna Update

Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Kenna Update

Hey folks...some of you know my 8 yr-old female border collie escaped from my fenced backyard during the bad storm on Friday (the one that spawned the water spout). I have no idea how she may have gotten out. But she is very afraid of thunder and I've seen her try to climb walls to "hide". She may have actually climbed the fence. But I may never know.

She somehow was hit by a car. A woman in an apt building about a 1/4 mile away found her hiding under her car. She was able to coax Kenna out and took her in and called my number on Kenna's collar.

She seemed ok when I got to her. Nothing seemed broken and she didn't seem in pain. Later in the evening, her breathing became labored. And by Saturday morning she was obviously in pain. I was first in line at my vet's office.

The vet x-ray showed that she had a herniated diaphragm needing immediate surgery. Surgery showed the damage was much much worse. Her diaphragm had pulled away from her insides and most of her intestines and other lower organs migrated into her chest.

The vet called after the surgery and was not sure she was going to make it. He said it was one of the worst he's seen.

The vet called at noon today to let me know she made through the night and was doing as expected for a normal recovery but not out of the woods yet. He would let me come see her tomorrow.

Needless to say, it's been a rough weekend for me. Thanks for all the texts, calls, and posts with positive energy and prayers.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!! I'm so sorry. I do pray everything turns out ok.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:02 PM

I'm glad to hear things are looking better and hope that she will make a full recovery.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Tough man...I love my dog like you can't believe so my thoughts are with you...here's hoping for a full and complete recovery.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Hope everything gets better Robert!!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:50 PM

Well the biggest thing is out of the way if she made it through the surgery. She sounds like a strong pup I think she will recover just fine. I'm very happy to hear she pulled through the surgery! We will certainly pray for her speedy recovery! Lots of her way!
Old 06-29-2009, 04:10 AM

Good News Robert
Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 AM

How's the ole water killer doin'?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck. She looks kinda like my Aussie.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey all...

I got to spend a couple hrs with her today. She's hanging in there. Nearly everyone in the vet's office mentioned they were surprised how tough she was...she really hadn't been expected to live.

They brought her into an examining room for me and when I walked in her little face just lit up.

She wouldn't eat or drink for the vet folks, but she ate a jar of baby food out of my hand and I spoon fed her a bowl of water.

She's still very drugged and not out of the woods yet. There is internal bruising that really has the vet concerned.

Quick Reply: Kenna Update