Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

WRX owner looking to make the switch.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:34 AM
wrx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX owner looking to make the switch.

I currently have a 2003 WRX and I'm thinking about getting an S2000. I'm 17 and going into college this year and realized if there's a time in my life that I could actually pull off a small two seater, it's right now. I've got safe parking at school in a parking garage right outside my dorm. I'm just curious if anyone on here has made this switch or similar (STi, Evo, etc.) and if they're happy with the choice. I think the S2000 would suit me better. I drive pretty slow and while my car is capable of low 13 second quarter mile times (it's modded), the only time I use the power is on a fun twisty back road or on/off ramps. Also, I've been reading a lot and still have a lot to learn, but I'm curious if there is any common things to watch out for when looking at a used S2000.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM

I made the switch from an STI to s2000.
You'll miss the TQ and the exhaust Note, but the handling of the car is amazing but its not for everybody. I'd say go take a test drive and see if you like it. Also its a little smaller and tighter for bigger people.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:47 AM

You'll miss the snail the tq and the hp beaing able to laugh at mustangs too but if speed isn't your think mayeb the s2000 is for you.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 2004 sti and went back to an s2000... Then I went to a Evo IX, regretted it, bought an altima an will probably buy another s2000 in 2010 .

The s2000 is a wonderfully balanced car that handles great, shifts great, and is a reliable.

The things to watch out for are weird noises out of the differential, and possibly cracked valve retainers. The valve retainers are from people miss shifting and having the valves float into the pistons. On most cars that usually leads to bent/busted valves or damaged cylinders. If you catch it early on the s2000 before the valve falls out your usually ok . The engine is built amazingly well, its one the few NA cars that seems to be able to handle boost for long periods of time without breaking stuff. There are guy on here running superchargers over 100k miles without problems. You try it on a 350z and 50% of them will be looking for a new motor in 30k miles or less.

Try not to take this as discouragement, but its info you need.

I will point out that the wrx is a nice car, and is MUCH MUCH easier to drive than an s2000. The s2k is not a good car for a beginner, and even if you drove 18 hours a day everyday, you're still a beginner at 17. If you ARE dead set on a s2000, get a 2004 model or up. They are a little more forgiving of mistakes. The 2000 s2000 could very well be the last car you drive if you get my drift... It doesn't warn you when you are at the limit, one second your fine, the next your in a tree or bouncing off a guard rail, or spinning off into a ravine.

So if you buy the s2k, get a 2004+. Take it slow, no one is going to be impressed if you wrap it around a tree. Learn the limits someplace where you won't hurt yourself, your car, or someone else. The wrx and s2000 are COMPLETELY different animals.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 AM
wrx

I appreciate the feedback guys, and thanks for not drilling into me saying how I don't deserve an S2000 at 17 years old. The one I'm looking at is a 2006. Looks like I need a test drive and if I get it hit up a few auto-x to learn the car a bit in a controlled environment.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Experience tells me that telling a 17 yr old not to do something never works...

Besides, just because 3 guys wipe one out doesn't mean you will. Respect the car and you will do fine. Not to mention, out of all the cars I've owned its the only car I actually miss. Just a wonderful car to drive. Don't let the lack of torque get you down or discourage you, it just takes some practice and it will accelerate pretty good.

Just remember, when going around a corner at speed "DON'T TAP THE BRAKE IN THE CORNER" do it before the turn, keep the acceleration steady. If need to slow down do it with throttle, sometimes with down shifting. If you really really need to use the brake... well good luck
Old 08-18-2008, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by wrx,Aug 18 2008, 11:08 AM
I appreciate the feedback guys, and thanks for not drilling into me saying how I don't deserve an S2000 at 17 years old. The one I'm looking at is a 2006. Looks like I need a test drive and if I get it hit up a few auto-x to learn the car a bit in a controlled environment.
The only thing I will say, is that in College you may enjoy your space a little more - Like filling the car with beer and groceries. Or taking all your buddys or GIRLS out is easier. Also the S2000 is an easier target for vandalism, people will hate on it because its a sports car and flashy.

If you like to tailgate, use your car for outdoor stuff...you have to make sure you are getting the right car.

In all honesty Its often better to go to school without a car you love because chances are some drunk will mess with it, or it will cause you a lot of stress thinking about where you parked it or where somebody might damage it. Your friends will all ask you to borrow your car because they need 'go somewhere'....

A POS beater car is usually more fun and a lot less stress in College.

I had a few cars in college but when I graduated I got a brand new 05 sti it was sweet and I had no stress worrying about college punks...I had my sti for almost four years and decided it was time to trying something fun before I get married.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM

Ya, he's got a point. All it takes is a sharp knife or razor blade and your looking at $1500 in damages, or a stolen car. Also the seats are popular to steal.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 PM

i just came out of a decently modded 2005 wrx (non STi) and im happy i made the switch. I drive maybe 100-150 miles a week.. so short commute all highway.. but the s2000 has been tons of fun for the first week that ive owned it. only complaint is rain and rwd.. then again im not 100% used to the rear wheel drive yet.

i think it has better pick up due to the wrx's mega lag (2.0 ej motors are horrible lag machines) everything is tighter (thats what she said), its nice to get up to 100mph and not have the steering wheel shake. top down is nice. plus if you dont like the power you can always boost it since it does have forged internals un like the ej20 which has pretty crummy pistons and rods.

i dunno, i am glad i made the switch.

i would say do it.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:43 PM

I had a 03 wrx gt35R on it 06 sti stage 2 07 sti stage 2 and not i have a 02 S2000 I love this car it so much better in diffrent ways..are you going to miss th eroom and the power of a turbo then stay with the subaru if not get a s2k bu ti herd of s2k staying up with sti

Quick Reply: WRX owner looking to make the switch.