Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

VSA

Old 05-30-2006, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSA

I keep reading about Vehicle Stability Assist and Traction Control - I think i know what traction control is but what is VSA - seems it was just recently added but people say they turn it off - why? Thanks, Steve
Old 05-30-2006, 06:26 AM

[QUOTE=Steve3,May 30 2006, 09:29 AM] I keep reading about Vehicle Stability Assist and Traction Control - I think i know what traction control is but what is VSA - seems it was just recently added but people say they turn it off - why?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most race car drivers and experienced track drivers leave those systems on almost all the time in normal street driving. Turning them off is mainly an ego thing.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even F-1 have some kind of tracktion control.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,May 30 2006, 12:45 PM
Turning them off is mainly an ego thing.
Hehe very good point!
Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 AM

I miss not having VSA and am considering getting a 2006 just for it!

Flame all you want!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the expanations - I know I'll use it all the time. The capabilities of the car far exceed mine.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:18 PM

Hope this info answers your question about VSA. This is form Honda's media website

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2066?mid=200...952082&mime=asc
Old 05-31-2006, 06:59 PM

"Working in concert with the Drive-by-Wire system, VSA ... can independently coordinate each of the disk brakes through the 4-channel anti-lock brake system, along with the throttle, to enhance vehicle stability. "

I won't be surprised to see some variation of the same explanation for ASR, VSC, TRAC, TCS, VDC, ESP, ETS ... by Lexus, Benz, BMW, Audi, GM, etc.

These systems are extremely "smart" in the way that they detect loss-of-control, but most of these "loss-of"control" situations are too much for anything to correct, but for the driver him/herself. These traction controls can problem only help 0.50% of these situations. I find these systems to be particularly useful at slower speeds. For example, say you are stopping at a stop sign making a right turn to a main road from a small road. The VSA/ASR, etc will be able to save you from spinning out if you put down too much gas ... but if you were to enter a tight 90-degree corner @ 60mph while stompping on the brakes, then it's not going to do anything ...

One reason that still convinces me these systems aren't as useful as manufacturers claim is that insurance companies still do not give car owners a break on insurance premiums when a vehicle's equipped with a traction control, whereas insurance companies do for vehicles equipped with ABS. Of course, this may be due to one or more of the following:

1. These systems aren't proven to lower probability of accidents
2. Drivers can easily turn off these systems
3. The technology is "relatively" new (really developed around 12 years or so, as opposed to over 20 years for ABS), and does not have sufficient sample size to determine the usefulness of the technology

I feel that most accidents cannot be "saved" with the existence of VSA, simply because the speed and conditions at which the vehicles were traveling far exceed anything that the VSA could handle.

On the other hand, I love ABS (I think that invention really great); I'm just not convinced about traction controls ... I don't see anything wrong with having VSA, but I can't truly tell myself to pay $3K more for a newer car when I was purchasing it.

And of course, like I said before, a car equipped with VSA will probably help you a lot down the road in resale value -- particularly on the S2000, since it kinda marks a slight change in era of the S2000.

With all that said, just be a safe and responsible driver on public roads, and you'll enjoy the car.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

VSA should help cut down on the number of spins and crashes in S2000s. There are entirely too many of those, whether they're due to user loss of control (the vast majority) or unexpected road conditions. VSA is a good thing, and I wouldn't recommend turning it off on the street. I agree with Mike's comment earlier about ego. Check it at the door, man.

This was a long overdue feature on the S2000, and kudos to Honda for actually going through with it on a 6 year old model.

Quick Reply: VSA