Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Too young to own an S2000?

Old 07-10-2006, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too young to own an S2000?

Well, I finally got the guts to post this up:

I'm 16 years old, and I'll turn 17 in two months. I want an S2000 really bad. Obviously I don't own an S2000, but I'm a big enthusiast. The S2000 has been my dream car since 2001 (it was invisible to me in 2000...). I've been building my dream S2000 for months; what upgrades it will have, what will it look like, etc.

Currently, I drive a 1996 Infiniti G20. My parents and I have been debating about this issue for weeks. They say that I'm too irresponsible to drive a 240 horsepower sports car, I won't be able to afford it (even though I have a job), I'm going to kill myself with it, insurance will be very expensive (they got a point here), etc. Yes, I CAN WAIT for two more years, when I go to college (going to be a junior in high school), but I want it NOW. Who knows what might happen...maybe all S2000's will self-destruct tomorrow or S2ki.com will turn into a cult. But I understand where they're coming from; I'm their only son and they want me to be safe and sound.

I realize that everyone here is older and wiser than me, so I'd really appreciate your input on this. With Honda discontinuing the S2000 soon (various news sources says so...) and seeing this large and friendly community, I really want to be a part of this community. I'd appreciate it if everyone would post up their thoughts (and possibly, how old they were when they got their S2000).

Thanks for listening.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:14 AM

u said it yourself, u cant afford it. what else needs to be said. unless your parents are going to bankroll it for you, then go ahead, no one is going to tell u how to live your life, do whatever makes u happy.

that being said. i would say that what u have written comes across as being very immature and selfish. u have a car that meets your needs u are still in high school, not even remotely in the real world, how about u grind it out a little bit first then come back.

also, i got mine at 25, but its a company car, which belongs to my business, so i guess im still paying for it in some way
Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good things comes to those who wait

I joined S2KI at 14 years old. Still haven't got my S2000
Old 07-10-2006, 03:43 AM

I say use it as motivation to get your degree (most people that start college don't finish) and find a good job afterwards. Tell yourself no new car until those goals are accomplished. Plus for some reason cars take a beating in a college town and I definitely wouldn't want to be driving a brand new one let alone a convert. It may seem like a long wait but believe me that 4 years for a bachelors degree will absolutely fly by in no time.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always find these cars used. Just wait it out.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:03 AM

I have wanted an S2000 since 2001 as well. At the time I was a senior in high school. (as a side note I was a driving a 1994 mazda protege). I lived with that car till college and then got a newer car, but that gave me trouble and I finally just bought an S2000 two weeks ago. I am 23 right now. I graduated from college 6 months ago and I am working full time.

I'd say wait. Honestly, you very well could kill yourself. You don't have much driving experience and rear wheel drive cars aren't as forgiving as your normal family car. Beyond that insurance is high and things like tires and such can get expensive. Wait till you can really afford it. It makes the car easier to enjoy. Don't be one of those kids w/ their parents money funding their excessivly expensive cars.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:33 PM

I think I have the one of the oldest s/n w/o having an s2k who is looking to get one.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:08 PM

... would say that what u have written comes across as being very immature and selfish.
First of all, I do not feel [AP1]'s comments are selfish or immature. So, someone's immature merely because he/she wants to own a sports car when he already has a car and is young? Come on, I'm sure many people out there dream about owning a sports car when they are young. I feel that [AP1] is just looking for comments, feedbacks and suggestions. If anything, his post is very well written; in fact, it's written better than 60-70% of the posts on this board. He doesn't come across as an immature individual, at least in the way that he presented it. I feel that a lot of people here start to get extremely aggravated or worked up when they hear that a young person has or wants an S2000. Age and maturity are not necessarily 100% correlated.

If his parents are willing to shell out some cash for his car? Then so be it -- provided that purchasing an S2000 isn't a major strain to his family's financial situation. If his family's running on a tight budget, then that's a different story. Sure, some people would say that he's a rich and spoiled kid when he drives an S2000. However, if he's a responsible kid who takes ownership of his properties and respects his parents' hard work and gift? Then why not let him drive the damn car? For the sake of it, the S2000 is a $30,000 production car. Yes, it is flashy and not cheap, but it's not outrageous like an Enzo is.

If I'm 16 now and my parents give me an S2000, I would take it. Why? Because I know I would appreciate my parents' gift and be responsible for it -- again, provided that the car's price would not be an issue. My parents gave me a decent car when I was in high school too. My parents were not super well off, but the car wasn't draining our family budget. I took the gift very seriously (okay, I'll admit that I did slip in a few mods while I had the car without letting my parents know), and worked even harder in school. I'm not bragging here, but I did end up going to an Ivy League school. Of course, I did graduate, and was even offered to pursue a masters degree in my school with scholarship in a prestigeous program. I cannot say I'm extremely successful, but I can definitely say I'm not falling behind because of having a decent car in high school. A nice gift from parents doesn't equate to failure in life. In some cases, I feel there is a lot to take away/learn from it.

Anyway, back to the original questions. Personally, I would not purchase the car. Since you mentioned that your budget's tight, you would find yourself having a lot of trouble paying bills, yet wanting to spend more on the car. Your life would be somewhat miserable if you are living on the edge of your budget. You have to understand that there are always unexpected costs here and there -- i.e. knock on the wood ... blown tire, random hit-and-runs, and parking/speeding tickets. Those costs could add up very quickly, especially if you did not consider them in advance. Keep in mind that it's very hard to "step down" after "stepping up." Meaning, if you have an S2000 now, and you find yourself having a hard time supporting it financially, then it's much harder to go back and drive a Geo Metro compared to if you never had the S2000.

With all that said, due to your young age, your career and education should come first in your life. You should not trap yourself in a situation where you end up scouring around for money to pay for bills and neglecting your education. I understand that you feel that the S2000 would stop its production soon. However, maybe Honda would come up with another awesome machine when you are 22? Or maybe you would probably have enough cash to buy a used S2000, and buy a new engine/tranny for it from Spoon/J's? I do not feel that age is an issue if one's mature about it. Many people make it sound like this car is a Zonda or something.

Main point: keep in mind that your education and career growth should be your top priority. If the S2000 is something that your parents could give you comfortably (and are willing to do it), then get one. If not? Then don't stress out about it. You are young, and there are a lot of opportunities waiting for you out there. Work hard and be street smart. Good luck!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by blacks2k,Jul 10 2006, 12:14 AM
u said it yourself, u cant afford it. what else needs to be said. unless your parents are going to bankroll it for you, then go ahead, no one is going to tell u how to live your life, do whatever makes u happy.

that being said. i would say that what u have written comes across as being very immature and selfish. u have a car that meets your needs u are still in high school, not even remotely in the real world, how about u grind it out a little bit first then come back.

also, i got mine at 25, but its a company car, which belongs to my business, so i guess im still paying for it in some way
I never said that I couldn't afford the car. Kelly Blue Book lists a MY00 S2000 with 75,000 miles, no accessories, and in Good condition at $15,220. I'm sure that there are some MY00 S2000s that have more than 75,000 miles and their owners are willing to go lower on the price.

I feel that you, blacks2k, deserve to know I'm a responsible teenager. The main reason why I left hanging out with my friends, skateboarding, etc. and got a job was to learn the value of responsibility. I didn't want my parents to worry too much about me. Their jobs, problems, and age have already given them a load of pressure. I bought the G20 using my own money. My parents aren't in a financial situation; heck, they can run out and buy a MY06 for me, and the back account will still shine. Before I got my G20, they offered to give me their 2002 Audi A4 (dad's car); but I refused.

Back on topic: what I want to do is sell the G20 (worth approximately $5,000) and have my parents pay $5,000. I have some money in my bank account and I'll take care of the rest on my own. As for the upgrades and everything, those can come later. But I have given a lot of thought to what everyone has posted, and decided that the S2000 can wait.

I appreciate all of your feedback everyone, it has helped me a lot.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Just get it, lifes too short.

Quick Reply: Too young to own an S2000?