Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Should I Eventually Get an S?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Eventually Get an S?

Hello from Maryland! I love S2000s and it is my ULTIMATE dream car. Right now I drive an 02 Nissan SE-R Spec V. I am 22 currently still in college so getting an S2k is still far away. I am also currently job hunting right now so it may be possible for me to get a used cheaper AP1 possibly....I was disheartened when the S2000 was ended production 2009. I've had this account for a while but I felt it was time to introduce myself.

I would say I have a unique view and appreciation of cars. This meaning that I am not biased and love basically all cars. I do not care about a car's straight line speed and acceleration, but rather how the car drives and connects with the driver through it's communication, whether it is the handling and/or how well the clutch and shifter work together etc. To this degree, I always have wanted an S2000. I am also a big fan of the RX-8, which I feel is a car that is very similiar to the S2000. The things that are stopping me is of course not being done with school, but also the fact that I get snow up here in the northeast. Also, I am very afraid of getting my soft top ripped and having my seats stolen from my S2000 =( I know this is probably a highly discussed topic as well, but how does your S2000 handle in the snow(let's say light snow) with the all-seasons? Is it drivable at all if you drive really carefully? Also, I'm assuming hardtops aren't cheap =(

Other cars that are on my list are the Genesis Coupe, Subaru STi(AWD LOL), the upcoming Scion FR-S, and I guess the next eventual Mazda RX-9. But I sorta want something soon.

Thanks and I am excited to hear from all of you enthusiastic S2000 owners! =)
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you dont get the S i think second best pick off your list would have to be sti but thats what i think
about the snow i live in l.a area so i wouldnt know. but im sure theres alot of people in here that can help on that gL with school and the s
also you can find S2k for sell with hardtop just have to look deep and long and take your time no need to rush.
goodluck
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 AM

How much money are you actually looking to spend? If you dont have a lot and have to buy an older used model, rx8 would be nothing but trouble. If your looking for the car that "connects" with the driver the best, s2k is def your best bet. If this is going to be your DD, it looks like the STI would be your best bet for overall performance and drivability through the tough northeast winters. S2k would def need blizzaks in the snow.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 AM

I got through the last couple winters in Nebraska with my S. I do highly recommend snow tires for winter and summer only for spring-fall.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see how you could go wrong with an S2000. However, you will probably need to keep your current car as a daily driver. I would never have an S2000 as my only vehicle, even if I lived somewhere nice enough to drive it year round. There are just too many situations where I need a bigger vehicle. I also never drive my S in the rain or snow. It's garaged on rainy days and put into storage from October - March. As far as getting the top ripped and the seats stolen, a hard top will help prevent that. They go anywhere from $2k-$7k ($2k for a used knockoff, $7k for a Mugen cf hardtop).
Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

in my experience the car does absolutely fine in snow with snow tires, and is the most fun to drive (i have driven most of the mentioned cars) the STi is a close second in driving fun but for completely different reasons.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

you can find a s for relatively cheap already with a hard top

good luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm not exactly sure how much to spend and of course I'm not going to rush it anytime soon. Thank you all for the advice so far. I understand the concerns to not go RX-8(Those rotary engines can bring trouble). As for the snow, I do intend to have my S2000 as a daily driver but I still live with my family, I always have another car to use in emergency if the roads are too unforgiving. Another car I was wildly considering was the 2006-up Civic Si. It solves the seats being stolen and driving in winter issue and from what I know, it can bring a similiar driving experience to the S2000(I know some of you might throw up reading that LOL). But What I mean is the crisp gearbox, handling, etc. It got a high "Fun to Drive" rating from Car and Driver as well.