Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Prospective owner seeks buying advice

Old 11-01-2014, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective owner seeks buying advice

Hi all

Thanks for welcoming me into the forum... A bit of background - I've been on/off car browsing for 2-3 years (yep!). I wanted a fast, affordable, reliable car. The laws state you dont get all three... I did however start by looking at the rx8 and have since done full circle having considered the s2000, 350z, alpha spider, alpha gt, amongst some older flavours like the MR2 tbar. Ive now stopped day dreaming and have some cash to part with... Ideally I think I'd prefer the s2000 as an all rounder but finding one under £8k under 7 years just isn't going to happen... I've test driven both the Honda and an r3 and there's not much in it for me...

I've come here as you guys know your stuff.. Where are all the Honda s2000's? I've scoured autotrader, motors.co.uk and ebay for long enough. Ive seen one car in the Leeds area in 3 months that fit the bill with a fine berlina black 2006 example which is the one test driven above. Sadly, it was just outside my price range at £9500 and only managed to verbally agree a 500 quid off deal. Do I need to go older to get one around £8k? is it worth saving harder to go for thebest possible? It'll be my main and only car so I'm not taking this lightly. Is the rx8 r3 a decent investment or am I going to be punished on reliability by going for a cheaper and 4 seater alternative.

I've waffled on but hopefully my extensive scriptures here reinforce how heavily I've mithered over this for so long. So over to you team s2000?!
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello and welcome to the Forums! I suggest you wait and save money for that special car. S2000's are becoming rarer
Old 11-03-2014, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a hard time finding one and I'm sure plenty others have traveled further or paid a little more for a really nice S. You won't regret putting out another 1k for a clean S - I bought mine to daily so I understand where you're coming from for not taking it lightly. RX-8 will fit fast and affordable but not your reliability pretension.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:05 AM

Hey, Do you live around the Leeds area then? I'm looking for one as well, have been for 3 months specifically a new forumla red one with VSA under 10k but has been proven to be basically impossible! And if i do find it then its already too late and it's been bought

We just have to persevere it will come to us soon! (hopefully lol)

I was looking at the RX8 R3 too, but the god awful MPG and the engine problems were enough to put me off, like anything if it was maintained well and checked up on it would probably be fine though but for me the MPG was just too bad. S2000 is a fair bit better from what i've seen.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Alphaquail
Hi all

Thanks for welcoming me into the forum... A bit of background - I've been on/off car browsing for 2-3 years (yep!). I wanted a fast, affordable, reliable car. The laws state you dont get all three... I did however start by looking at the rx8 and have since done full circle having considered the s2000, 350z, alpha spider, alpha gt, amongst some older flavours like the MR2 tbar. Ive now stopped day dreaming and have some cash to part with... Ideally I think I'd prefer the s2000 as an all rounder but finding one under £8k under 7 years just isn't going to happen... I've test driven both the Honda and an r3 and there's not much in it for me...

I've come here as you guys know your stuff.. Where are all the Honda s2000's? I've scoured autotrader, motors.co.uk and ebay for long enough. Ive seen one car in the Leeds area in 3 months that fit the bill with a fine berlina black 2006 example which is the one test driven above. Sadly, it was just outside my price range at £9500 and only managed to verbally agree a 500 quid off deal. Do I need to go older to get one around £8k? is it worth saving harder to go for thebest possible? It'll be my main and only car so I'm not taking this lightly. Is the rx8 r3 a decent investment or am I going to be punished on reliability by going for a cheaper and 4 seater alternative.

I've waffled on but hopefully my extensive scriptures here reinforce how heavily I've mithered over this for so long. So over to you team s2000?!
Hi there and welcome to the forum!
I totally feel you as I faced the same situation when buying mine. Short answer is: NO-THERE AREN'T many out there!
Be patient, that's the key. Took me 6 months to finally get mine and I also had a requirement to have the hard top (and 5 years old-eventually paid 12,500 with 53k miles on the clock but only one owner). Hence I'll advice:
a) don't look elsewhere, stick with the s2000 (especially if you want a daily driver that can do 28-30 mpg if properly driven ) with reasonable insurance and will fit weekly shopping as well ! Racy engine noise and the ability to ride top down cannot compare to anything imho - you won't regret it. Unless you mind the 'bumpy' ride and live in speed-bump infested
neighbourhood. Another plus is that you 'll rarely see another s2000 on the street
b) save up a few more quid until you spot your favourite model
c) bargain harder with the dealer - say to him that it is rare to find someone interested in this model as they are plainly for car enthusiasts now. Also notice that each s2000 is losing about £160-170 per calendar month that it is not sold. So the difference that you had with that lovely 2006 Berlina is just 6 months of waiting and lurking in the dark corner
d) When searching in Autotrader just put in the year requirement (up to 7 years) that you got + mileage up to 80k I'll say.
Don't be afraid of mileage as the car is bullet proof basically..Also, check every 3 days Honda.co.uk. Every a couple of months or
so, a very good deal comes up (pricey initially but you 'll be amazed how prices can drop after 2-3 months of not selling - approximately £500 off)! - Put some pressure on that dealer!

Best of luck in finding your s2000,
Post some pics when you do get yours!
Old 11-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,254 Likes on 1,095 Posts

I'd think this time of year is a buyers market but UK prices -- or, perhaps your expectations -- seen very low compared to North American. £8,000 is roughly $13,000 and the '06 and later (VSA, etc,) seem to run well north of that number here. Low mileage cars in this age group ran $20K (£12.5K) early and mid-summer here.

My own impression is the S2000 has reached the bottom of it's age-depreciation and only depreciates based on mileage and condition. Even the newest are 6 years old. Like boats convertible top car prices dip this time of year and raise in the spring. Too many S2000s seem to be buggered with non stock stuff for tiny, limited performance improvements. Little of this increases the car's value although some make it a little faster and (perhaps) more fun to drive.

I finally got my S2000 this summer. She'll be rarely driven between now and April. I can't see this car as a daily driver but that's personal -- and generational too, I used a motorcycle for a daily for several years in Georgia!

-- Chuck
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trikz
Hey, Do you live around the Leeds area then? I'm looking for one as well, have been for 3 months specifically a new forumla red one with VSA under 10k but has been proven to be basically impossible! And if i do find it then its already too late and it's been bought

We just have to persevere it will come to us soon! (hopefully lol)

I was looking at the RX8 R3 too, but the god awful MPG and the engine problems were enough to put me off, like anything if it was maintained well and checked up on it would probably be fine though but for me the MPG was just too bad. S2000 is a fair bit better from what i've seen.
Yeh from near leeds, Castleford to be exact. I test drove a berlina black 06 car last month. In Seacroft. was a good car but if I'm honest I was hoping to talk the guy down more on meeting him and he didn't budge much from 9k which to be honest was a fair price considering the market.

I need to sit and wait and get the bank roll together. A guy from the US a few posts down from yours says I'm expecting too much for my budget and despite living across the pond it would seem the market is the same there too, so i'd have to agree with him
Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by not4s4l3
Originally Posted by Alphaquail' timestamp='1414861973' post='23390300
Hi all

Hi there and welcome to the forum!
I totally feel you as I faced the same situation when buying mine. Short answer is: NO-THERE AREN'T many out there!
Be patient, that's the key. Took me 6 months to finally get mine and I also had a requirement to have the hard top (and 5 years old-eventually paid 12,500 with 53k miles on the clock but only one owner). Hence I'll advice:
a) don't look elsewhere, stick with the s2000 (especially if you want a daily driver that can do 28-30 mpg if properly driven ) with reasonable insurance and will fit weekly shopping as well ! Racy engine noise and the ability to ride top down cannot compare to anything imho - you won't regret it. Unless you mind the 'bumpy' ride and live in speed-bump infested
neighbourhood. Another plus is that you 'll rarely see another s2000 on the street
b) save up a few more quid until you spot your favourite model
c) bargain harder with the dealer - say to him that it is rare to find someone interested in this model as they are plainly for car enthusiasts now. Also notice that each s2000 is losing about £160-170 per calendar month that it is not sold. So the difference that you had with that lovely 2006 Berlina is just 6 months of waiting and lurking in the dark corner
d) When searching in Autotrader just put in the year requirement (up to 7 years) that you got + mileage up to 80k I'll say.
Don't be afraid of mileage as the car is bullet proof basically..Also, check every 3 days Honda.co.uk. Every a couple of months or
so, a very good deal comes up (pricey initially but you 'll be amazed how prices can drop after 2-3 months of not selling - approximately £500 off)! - Put some pressure on that dealer!

Best of luck in finding your s2000,
Post some pics when you do get yours!
Thanks not4s4l3 this is very good advice. I'll certainly look back at this when I come to buy, which now will likely be after xmas. I figure I can save another 1k by Jan if I buy my girlfriend a bag of crisps on the 25th. It also sounds like the best time to buy based on Chuck S's advice. Time of year sounds like it's a winner so rather than chucking my cash at the first car within 10 mile radius I'll hold out and make a longer drive if needed for the right one.

I'm not looking to tune this up to the eye balls like some boy racer but will certainly come back here with questions on performance up keep. also I'll be posting pics when I have them.

Thank you for the advice guys and the warm welcome

Cheers
Old 11-06-2014, 12:57 AM

I figure I can save another 1k by Jan if I buy my girlfriend a bag of crisps on the 25th.
Hahaha, but when you get the S, she will completely forget the pack of crisps!
It was for a good cause honey..

Mine did

Quick Reply: Prospective owner seeks buying advice