Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Private seller or Dealership?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private seller or Dealership?

I have done tons of research on S2K's and have finally narrowed down my choices for when I finally pull the trigger. My S2K must be an AP2 stock Berlina in good shape with a clean record.

I am open to either paying straight cash from a private seller or financing a small amount from either carmax or honda. From a private seller I expect to pay no more than 13k cash with less than 80kmiles ( does it seem like a low ball stretch offer?) and from a dealer I would plan to pay no more than $21,500 after tax for less than 58k miles while paying off around half with a 10k down payment and small payments around $230-260 a month.

which is the better and more realistic plan? Am I low balling private sellers or is it worth it to eat the tax and interest to get my dream car the exact way I want?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:27 PM

I feel it is worth for your dream car, but that being said if you look long and hard enough you should be able to get it from a private seller. the going rate though for an AP2 seems to be about 15k
Old 10-08-2010, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by USCG S2K,Oct 8 2010, 09:27 PM
I feel it is worth for your dream car, but that being said if you look long and hard enough you should be able to get it from a private seller. the going rate though for an AP2 seems to be about 15k
15k is exact but I find it tough to knock off $2,000 from an asking price.

I bought my prelude 5 years ago straight cash after negotiating on 3 different cars and $500 was the most I was able to knock off on my '97. Berlina is high demand and some owners want more than 15k in the mileage range I'm seeking. I might be a better at negotiating prices now that I'm 5 years older and not some inexperienced teen with stuffed pockets full of hundreds showing up on his own to buy his first car.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I say dealer . U can always go back to the dealer If something ain't right but with a priv as you see it and test drive is how you get it . U have to really take his word for it . An a 10-20 min test might not show you much you need to l know . At a dealer if u hear something from thE top or any of the car u can take back after few days of buying it and let them know and force them to repair it .
Ur money good luck hope to see some pic . When buy .
Old 10-09-2010, 01:03 PM

check craiglist, i saw some ap2 w/ pretty low milage(under 50k) for 16-18k. expect to paid a bit more if it is in mint condition.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Kid Ap2000,Oct 9 2010, 07:55 AM
I say dealer . U can always go back to the dealer If something ain't right but with a priv as you see it and test drive is how you get it . U have to really take his word for it . An a 10-20 min test might not show you much you need to l know . At a dealer if u hear something from thE top or any of the car u can take back after few days of buying it and let them know and force them to repair it .
Ur money good luck hope to see some pic . When buy .
True,

My prelude had a clean carfax and 2 weeks later I found frame damage that was never reported along with a leaky trunk and fair compression numbers.

Lesson learned here is to get car inspected by bodyshop, bring along a compression tester and never put your guard down after a clean carfax when purchasing from a private seller.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:24 PM

i'd say private seller, dealers just want to rip you a new one. however, your offer is way too low for what you're asking.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

I've been wondering the same thing whether to go with a private seller or a dealer...

More and more I'm leaning towards buying from a car stealership...
Old 10-09-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pluses and minuses with each of course. I got a MY06 used at an Acura dealer. Super clean, low miles, bone stock. Paid a bit more of course, but got it with the end-to-end inspection, 30 day warranty, free lifetime engine warranty, free lifetime oil changes and annual Virginia inspections. I also got them to put on 4 new OEM tires and new OEM windshield to close the deal. Private seller can't do that.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Yeah, I figure if you can't bargain the price down, you can make other service/maintenance/parts demands from the dealer.

They'll work with you a little bit more. I don't think they're to be trusted any more than a private seller though, but you're able to make other demands sometimes if you can't deal it down.

Quick Reply: Private seller or Dealership?