Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Picking up my S tomorrow- I have it now!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picking up my S tomorrow- I have it now!

I just got back from working out the deal on my S. I am purchasing it from a private party, had I been able to get the cash today I would have it in the driveway now. Tomorrow I go to pick it up after work. I have been researching and searching for a few months now. My budget increased from when I first started looking and I got a lot pickier, convincing the wife took a while.

Details:
Silverstone Metallic (I love this color)
Black interior
Overall condition is excellent for the mileage and age. It was daily driven by a middle-age woman who is now sick of driving stick.
It is bone stock other than the Alpine headunit. I really wanted something bone stock because I've had bad experiences with other peoples projects in the past.

The first changes I'm planning on doing are intake and exhaust. I am looking for something that doesn't drone on the highway and I am open to any suggestions you may have.

It will need a few repairs.
Clutch has never been replaced, I expect I'll have to do that soon.
The top has 4 very tiny holes which I will patch for now, but I expect I'll replace the top at some point.
Drivers side front tire is wearing on the inside (is this common?)
It has a few dings and scratches to work on and front lip is scraped up.

All in all I am very excited, ever since I sold my 944 I've been wanting another sports car and I am glad I settled on the S2000. I look forward to being a member of the s2ki community.

I will try and post pictures soon, it'll be dark when I get the car tomorrow so maybe on Tuesday.

Ok, all cleaned up, here are some pictures I shot this evening.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Invidia Q300 dual exhaust and generally like it. It's louder than stock, but not too loud. You are going to get at least a little bit of "drone" (ie: unwanted noise) regardless of what exhaust you choose. If you want quiet, just stick with the stock exhaust.

I also have an AEM V2 cold air intake and it sounds incredible. IMO, I'm happier with this mod than the exhaust.

The holes in the top are very common. Use "Tear Aid" type B (do a search on Ebay) and patch the top for cheap. As for the one tire wearing down, I'd say that's uncommon. The clutch should be good for a while unless it's been driven very hard.

How much did you pay for it?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats
Old 11-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Nov 21 2010, 03:17 PM
I have the Invidia Q300 dual exhaust and generally like it. It's louder than stock, but not too loud. You are going to get at least a little bit of "drone" (ie: unwanted noise) regardless of what exhaust you choose. If you want quiet, just stick with the stock exhaust.

I also have an AEM V2 cold air intake and it sounds incredible. IMO, I'm happier with this mod than the exhaust.

The holes in the top are very common. Use "Tear Aid" type B (do a search on Ebay) and patch the top for cheap. As for the one tire wearing down, I'd say that's uncommon. The clutch should be good for a while unless it's been driven very hard.

How much did you pay for it?
Thanks for the advice!

I know to expect some drone, I have a Stillen exhaust on my Titan which is the mildest exhaust you can get for the Titans and it still drones. I am looking for something that I can live with for 2 hours, I am not looking for whisper quiet. Is the V2 intake the one the goes into the wheelwell? I am a little worried about that from the standpoint of standing water, here in FL we get flash floods, on the other hand it won't be my DD.
The tire is only wearing on the inside, the outside still has the nipples. I expect that it could be a bad alignment because it pulls a little.

I'll respond to the $ question once the car is in my driveway
Old 11-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paper1122,Nov 21 2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the advice!

I know to expect some drone, I have a Stillen exhaust on my Titan which is the mildest exhaust you can get for the Titans and it still drones. I am looking for something that I can live with for 2 hours, I am not looking for whisper quiet. Is the V2 intake the one the goes into the wheelwell? I am a little worried about that from the standpoint of standing water, here in FL we get flash floods, on the other hand it won't be my DD.
The tire is only wearing on the inside, the outside still has the nipples. I expect that it could be a bad alignment because it pulls a little.

I'll respond to the $ question once the car is in my driveway
Yeah, the AEM CAI lays in front of the radiator. You can get a waterproof "sock" for it that will repel rain and road spray. From there the only thing that will give you problems is driving through a really deep puddle. Most consider it a minor concern. Just be careful during "floods" and you're fine.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 PM

how much are you picking it up for if you dont mind me asking. You got yourself a laundry list of stuff to do.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

yea also you gonna have to cut part of the fender shield for AEM intake. which is another down side. why dont you get a K&N FPK... gives you similar results and you dont have to cut or worry about hydro lock. also i cant help it, but how much total did you pay for the car?
Old 11-22-2010, 04:07 AM

Congrats. Take a look at the 'official' threads over in the naturally aspirated forum - pic, price and fairly objective comments on pretty much any aftermarket part made for the S. My vote on 0-drone aftermarket exhaust would be supersprint, just an opinion. As for tire wear, odd that its just one, may be a camber issue on just that corner. Finally, top tears are unfortunately very common. A new top is $$ but if you are going to drive in the wet, there aren't many alternatives. Other than a hardtop. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats on the new vehicle, sir!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by paper1122,Nov 21 2010, 02:40 PM
It will need a few repairs.
Clutch has never been replaced, I expect I'll have to do that soon.
careful with this one- our cars have been rumored to hit 100k miles on one clutch without any problems

Quick Reply: Picking up my S tomorrow- I have it now!