Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New S2K owner in Savannah, GA

Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default New S2K owner in Savannah, GA

Name; Don Johnson (really!)
Location; Savannah, GA, USA
Car; 2003 AP1 Silver/Black

I've been active in the SCCA for about 12 years, primarily in a sport called Autocross or SOLO, but also do the occasional track-day, currently with a modified S13 Nissan 240sx coupe with about 165RWHP (but way more torque than the S2K!)

I've admired the S2K since they came out, but Wife and I were busy raising the kids back then. They've since fledged and we've become more involved in the car scene. I've driven a number of S2K's in autocross, both AP1 and AP2, including an AP1 owned by my friend Dan that trophied nationally in NASA time trials, and a CR owned by an acquaintance named Jay that won 2 national SOLO titles in his class (B-stock).

Over the years the Nissan had been sufficiently modified to require hauling to events on a trailer, so I've been daily driving a pickup for the last 5 years. I've been casually shopping around lately for a more interesting daily driver. This one popped up locally and I snapped it up.

It's a 2003 with 46k miles and has already been setup for autocross by a national level driver. It has a huge Gendron (?) Nascar-style front anti-sway bar, custom valved, single adjustable Koni 8041 shocks, and an extra set of wheels and tires. When I bought it, the OEM exhaust was installed, but I also received a lightweight stainless steel single-outlet racing cat-back with a Burns stainless resonator (and nothing else!) It weighs 11 pounds, compared to the OEM 51 pounds! I installed it this past Monday (I'm a shift worker) but after a few days of driving it with earplugs, I'll be putting the OEM exhaust back on while I look for an alternative.

We've already done our first Saturday test-n-tune and Sunday Event #1 with our local autocross club and the car is a blast! We ran in "B-street" on the Dunlop DirezzaSport Z1's that came on the car. They actually worked quite well for a street tire, especially after running Hoosier A6's on the Nissan in D-Street Prepared class.

Yes, I've already refreshed all the fluids..., ;-)
Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-10-2014, 01:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome....
Old 02-10-2014, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 AM

I took the car down for an alignment check today. The steering wheel was rotated a little to the right, so I wasn't surprised that the left/right toe settings were skewed. They checked for anything loose/sloppy/bent and declared it healthy, and it drove nice and straight going home. I am a little concerned about the difference between the caster values and their "specs", and the difference between the left and right SAI numbers. Opinions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jonner
and welcome....
Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats .. nice name i literally just watched that movie with my girl last night lol enjoy the car
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by djsilverjohnson
I took the car down for an alignment check today. The steering wheel was rotated a little to the right, so I wasn't surprised that the left/right toe settings were skewed. They checked for anything loose/sloppy/bent and declared it healthy, and it drove nice and straight going home. I am a little concerned about the difference between the caster values and their "specs", and the difference between the left and right SAI numbers. Opinions?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4a...it?usp=sharing

I think I've figured it out. The owner used both front and rear adjusters on the lower A-arm to get 2 degrees negative camber, and let caster/SAI fall where it will. ;-) I'll see how it does at the next event on March 2nd...,
Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome