Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New Owner SNJ area

Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner SNJ area

Hi i've been roaming the forums since I picked up a 02 s2k (traded a 01 BMW 330ci for it) and I must say I love the car and this forum, I've learned so much already.

I already have an idea of some mods but I notice a couple of things that are pissing me off about the car:

1. The steering is way to responsive for everyday driving, and for those of you who ask does it handle better than a bmw, I hate to say its not even close. The BMW steering is so much more forgiving and I actually feel safe taking turns at high speeds with it, I've had that car to the governor many times with absolutely no concerns of losing control.

The s2k however tends to get pretty squirrely over 100 on any road that is not absolutely perfect, not to mention at high speed the steering feels way to responsive to comfortably stay at a high speed while taking turns. My question is there any way to loosen up the steering a little, there is absolutely no play and even if I can manage to get an inch or so in the steering wheel without the wheels making a major turn I'd be happy.

2. I am getting alot of wind noise about 50 mph through the driver side window area where it meets the top, and I'm not sure if it's normal or something needs to be replaced.

3. I'm not sure if the previous owner used synthetic oil in the car but I would prefer to keep synthetic in the car at all times, is it a bad idea to do a change from conventional to synthetic above 80K miles?

4. I went out to look for a cost effective short shifter kit, but a fellow s2k owner at a nearby speed shop said "they all rattle" is that true?

I'm sorry to throw all of this at you guys, but i'm like a kid in a candy store and everyday I just find more reasons to go out and drive. Thanks for listening and the great community!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#4, get a countersunk shift knob, that's what 99% of us have do rather than a short-shifter...
Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 PM

there is a sponsor here MODDICTION that sells weighted countersunk shift knobs CHEAP!
Old 01-25-2010, 05:40 PM

moddiction's for sale thread...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=751295&st=0
Old 01-25-2010, 06:03 PM

#1 its a sports car lol its going to be tighter steering take it through some back twisties your not going to want loose steering.

#4 I agree with S2k oak, Most s/s do rattle actually and if you get a knob it lowers your knob about 1" which in effect gives you a shorter throw you will like it
Old 01-27-2010, 09:18 AM

As for #1, the car is very sensitive to steering input. I can switch lanes and most people don't even think I moved the steering wheel . It could also be that the you need to have the alignment done. The previous owner of my car had the alignment all screwed up. He had a very aggressive alignment on the car that made it squirrely. Get the alignment checked out.

Wind noise... its a convertible they tend to be noisy that way. Could be a bad seal on the window though.

Yes you can use synthetic oil if you want.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:17 AM
Former Moderator

A local member, welcome
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome dropping the car off at the stealer for some minor issues with it on Tuesday. I'm racking my brain to see what else I can think of for them to fix that may be expensive later.

The car used to sometimes stall at start up on cold days but after a map whack (thanks to your guys here) and an ecu reset/relearn it's runs great and 2/3 gear vtec pulls real nice now!

So when's the next meet?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:15 PM

I actually just purchased my s2k in pennsylvania but im from the edison new brunswick area. Dare i ask where you bougit your s2k from,it might be one of the ones i was looking at haha
Old 01-28-2010, 09:33 PM

A honda dealer in marlton nj, you'd probably be looking at NY dealer where you are, I'm way down south compared to you

Quick Reply: New Owner SNJ area