Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

My wife is going to kill me

Old 06-21-2015, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife is going to kill me

During one of my typical Craigslist searches before bed, I came across this ad that stated "S2000 for sale BROKE MOTOR, all other parts good". The ad had no pictures but I became curious and decided to contact the seller the next morning. Long story short, I purchased the car fairly cheap but was not able to hear it run due to the terminals being cut off. Apparently her 16 year old nephew needed the battery for his troller motor. I did get the battery back though but was toast. It definitely needs some TLC, but I could not pass up the opportunity and decided to take the chance.

Her story was that she purchased the car in 2007 with 80,xxx (which I confirmed with the title). When I went to look at it, the car had been sitting for 7 months and was wrapped in visqueen (window regulator is out on passenger side, window stuck down). She was cruising one day and came to a stop light and noticed smoke escaping from under the hood, she immediately killed the car, and had a friend tow it home. She never had it inspected or even looked at it because she did not have the time or money.

I got it home, installed terminals and put her old battery in just for now on a battery charger. Checked oil level, looked clean and roughly a quart low. Turned the key on and confirmed the car currently has 188,xxx miles. I did notice a Oil Service sticker on the window that stated her next oil change was due at 166,xxx miles. This scares me thinking she has not changed the oil since or even before 166,xxx miles!!! Anyways, I preceded to starting the car and amazingly it started up very smoothly. No smoke out the hood nor exhaust. I did happen to notice a tapping that became louder with increased throttle. Sounds like top end, possibly valve adjustment or roller bearing?? Can post a video if needed. No CEL or any other light on dash. Car does produce rotten egg like smell when idling and in throttle. Thinking that could be O2 sensor or CAT. I let it run for roughly 15 min and noticed a 2-3 inch puddle of oil under car, will have to examine that sometime this week. I did notice a bag in the trunk with Honda on it containing two switches labeled "cam sensors". I think these are the old ones though.

This is the first Honda I have every owned, so I am seeking advice or tips from you fellow s2k owners. Help me get this bada** back on the road! Thanks in advance. Looking forward to learning from you guys. Tried uploading photos but photobucket won't let me even upload the pics to it, P.O.S. macbook.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i have absolutely no advice for you on the S2000.... but i am curious to see how this turns out.
i do recommend taking the wife out to a nice dinner before spending too much money on the car though.

and, yes, we need some pictures...
Old 06-22-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome.

Check out the link in my signature.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:35 AM

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...psinimwbz5.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...pstn7g8huc.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9okwu6xj.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...pstnphul21.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...pspcgdkq6e.jpg

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...pscehgfxks.jpg
Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cant Believe I Own A S2K

Here you go. Just add [ img ] before the image link and [ /img ] after the image link. (no spaces)
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Here you go. Just add [ img ] before the image link and [ /img ] after the image link. (no spaces)
[/quote]

Thank you sir!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

After seeing how my sister and my mom maintain (or lack thereof) their vehicles, I learned a long time ago to avoid cars advertised as "lady driven" for this very reason.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck...
Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
After seeing how my sister and my mom maintain (or lack thereof) their vehicles, I learned a long time ago to avoid cars advertised as "lady driven" for this very reason.
I completely understand your reasoning behind this. I have to admit though, I purchased a 03 350z a few years back that was female owned for roughly 8 years, and I'm telling you I would have eaten off the engine bay. Miss that car....I paid $1000 for this AP1 so I figured what the shit, I'll take a chance on it.

Quick Reply: My wife is going to kill me