Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

I never thought I would be happy

Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I never thought I would be happy

About selling my MR2.

I loved the car the moment, I saw it, and will surely remember it after it is gone.

Start from the top I suppose?

Rewind to the winter of 2004. I had just turned 15, which is, of course, permit time!

At that point, I was indifferent to cars, so fast forward a bit. The winter of '05!

I was a tad bit glum about the long wait until I could nab my liscence. I was quite lazy, and waited a bit to get my permit, and thus had to wait for my liscence. I had mentioned I was indifferent to cars. This had changed. My brother very much picqued my intrest. I now wanted a car to modify.

On a fateful day, he introduced me to the magic that was a MkII MR2. All bookmarks of Integras and Del Sols for sale were deleted from my computer shortly thereafter.

I preservered, and my first car became this

(hold on a tick, bloody Imageshack logged me out)

http://img220.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc03982am8.jpg

Months later I pulled a typical teenager move, thinking the car had perfect handling and was God's gift to the automotive world, and had the rear end pop out and.. well, mess up some grass. I am only grateful that those curbs were sloped. A new front wheel later and I had learned my lesson.

I took it slow from that point on and learned how to handle the car properly. I still love looking at it every morning, despite its many flaws. The car was paid for in cash, a grand total of $3600, and was fairly cheap to insure, for whatever reason. I had been saving my money for an NA-> T swap, but that is not the case now. It does not involve my actions, and I don't quite feel like filling this post with more innane drivvle for you all to sort through.

My total funds, if the car sells for as expected, will ammount to eight large. This puts several cars within my price range...

One being a used 00-01 AP1. Insurance would be rediculous. But I can afford it. I have made enough smart financial decisions up unto this point to afford to make a stupid one. From everything I have read, the pleasure of driving an S2000 is worth busting my ass for. I have saved enough money and have enough income to be able to fully pay off a car around 15-17 grand within the year, while paying the ~200 a month to insure a sporty car.

I'm young. Very young. 17. I have the approval of my parents, the car is safer than what I am currently driving. I can afford it. I've been driving an MR coupe with a nasty reputation for snap oversteer, albiet the power difference is very large.

I'm going to test drive an S2000 this week. If I fall in love with the car, and can justify the lightened wallet, I am going for it.

You only live once, right? I only hope this dream of mine does not fizzle out. The MR2 was a dream at one time too.

Anything to help me out, or hell, talk me out of it, I am all ears. Sometimes I just like to get my thoughts on paper, so to speak.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I wish I was making enough $$$ at 17 to afford an S2k.

After you test drive one, you will make your own decision, or should I say you will say "I want one! "

Old 02-24-2007, 10:07 PM

Go for it, just be careful. Also i think your full coverage will be about 250, possibly more a month. Im 21 been driving since 18 and have nothing on my record. I still pay $208 a month. Good luck though.

Griffin
Old 02-24-2007, 10:14 PM

Parents are helping out on the insurance, the same amount they were for the MR2, thankfully. Otherwise, I don't think I would be posting here =D

I need to find a Berlina with a red interior

Did I mention I love the Grateful Dead?

I think it is safe to say I am a bit obsessed over this car at the moment. It is 1:15 AM here and I need to work tomorrow
Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you'll love the s2k, but dont be so quick to think the S doesnt have insane oversteer, it does! remember, theres no engine in the back of the S good luck on the purchase and keep us updated
Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Friend of the Devil,Feb 25 2007, 01:36 AM
I have made enough smart financial decisions up unto this point to afford to make a stupid one.
this quote made me laugh
Old 02-24-2007, 10:37 PM

When i was in the market to get a s2k i wanted white w/ tan interior, obviously that didnt happen because i wanted low mileage and great condition more then anything else. So i ended up with a Sebring silver w/blk interior that had 17k miles on it and was in great condition.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 PM

thinking the car had perfect handling and was God's gift to the automotive world
It isn't!?

The MKII MR2 strikes a fantastic balance of handling and comfort. Be prepared for a more raw experience with the S2k, and a bit less feel through the pedals and steering wheel. You will love the S2k shifter though.

IMO the S2k is harder to drive fast than the MR2. But I grew up on mid-engined cars (first a few MK1 MR2s before moving on to a pair of '93s) so they feel natural to me. Be careful in the S2k, especially when it's wet out.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 AM

Talking someone out of an S, thats crazy talk!

it will always manage to put a smile on your dial

Get one....enjoy.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Popped down to the Honda dealership in Franklin, and had a chance to test drive an '06 S2k.

My god.

Everything that has been said about this car, on this forum, that I have read, was correct.

Quick Reply: I never thought I would be happy