Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Considering an AP1

Old 01-25-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering an AP1

Hi all,
I'm 19 and I've been looking for a car for a while now. I've got a truck right now that I learned on (standard trans, so I can drive stick already) but it's time for a car and some autocross. I'm in college, so parents will be helping a lot and I need info to help convince them. Please don't flame me for the whole parents money/ s2k / college deal, I'll be paying a considerable amount. Don't worry, I've surveyed my whole situation and I see nothing impractical about an S2000 for my uses... my truck is standard cab and I've not carried anything in the bed the whole time I've been here, even with passengers. I've driven s2k's multiple times and love them, so no problems there. Anyway, on to questions.

How well will an S2k hold up to autocross? I know that any type of racing or being stupid will obviously put wear on the car, but I'm just talking about some slightly spirited driving on the street and attempts to be competitive in autocross.

What are the weak links on an s2k? I've been looking at wrx's forever and know that the transmissions are weak, does the s2k have any similar problems?

Are there any problems with the 2000 and 01 cars? I know a lot of the time the first year or two for a model will have bugs that have to be worked out. I've really been looking at an 01 or 02, but if there are no major problems with the 2000 then I'm all for the lower price of it.

Any other things I should know about the cars... ??

Thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 AM

Anyone?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:29 AM

I just bought a 2000 and I don't regret my decision at all. I know for a fact that mine was autocrossed, but it still drives great. I've put about a 1,000 miles on the car since I bought it and have not had any problems. The only effect that the autocrossing has had on the car is the car now needs brakes. Front and rear brake pads are at 25%.

So far the car has not burned any oil and I've already done one long distance trip and a spirited drive other S2K owners. I'll eventually purchase a new soft top and window, but with the money I saved buying an AP1 I can afford it.

I think you should save your money. Buy an AP1.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:24 AM

The S does very well in AutoX. There are many members on the boards that AutoX their cars, you should look in your local forum for threads pertaning to that.

I do know that the MY00 & 01 have the plastic rear window.

I say buy the S. You won't regret it.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's generally accepted that the S2000 has a weak (relatively atleast) clutch and differential. Also the stock tires are expensive and do not last long (about 10,000 miles on the rears), although you can replace them with cheaper, longer lasting tires. Personally I would not recommend having a car as "nice" as an S2000 while in college, my old car took quite a beating sitting outside and having idiots ding the doors in the dorm parking lot. Being in college I'm sure you're well aware of those circumstances. I've only autocrossed mine once, the car did wonderfully, one of the best autocross cars in my opinion, but I haven't had it long enough to attest to it's longevity.

The S2000 got some very nice updates in 2002, including a glass rear window, upgraded radio, prettier shift knob , leather console, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. Other than those, basically cosmetic, changes the car is identical to the 02-03 cars. For me I thought it was worth a little extra to get the newer model, others would obviously disagree. If you're going to be parking outside the plastic rear window can get really nasty, you may want to consider that when looking at a 00-01. And make sure you have a place to wash it!

All that being said, I'm young as well. My parents kept telling me how stupid I was to get the car and how I should put the money into a house or something more practical. They were wrong, very wrong
Old 01-26-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The S is a dominant autocrosser. It kicked everyone's butt in B-stock and they had to move it up into A-stock where it competes with much higher-priced cars. You'll love it!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=Chazmo,Jan 26 2006, 08:05 PM] The S is a dominant autocrosser.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:30 PM

Oh, I know it's very competitive in autocross, I just wander how well it holds up. Like I said, I've driven a few and already know that I love the car and wouldn't have any problems driving it daily, the parents are just sorta skeptical about the size and practicality and stuff.

On the topic of the updates on the 02<, I've already factored that in and would love to go with an 02+ but insurance goes waaaaaaay up with every year newer, not too mention price of the car. Of all the cars I've checked on (including 2000 2.5RS, 99 eclipse gsx, and other much cheaper cars), the 01 s2k is the best on insurance. Haven't checked on a 2000 but it should be even better.
Thanks all. Any other info/comments welcome.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:58 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sspicollo8,Jan 26 2006, 09:30 PM
Oh, I know it's very competitive in autocross, I just wander how well it holds up. Like I said, I've driven a few and already know that I love the car and wouldn't have any problems driving it daily, the parents are just sorta skeptical about the size and practicality and stuff.

On the topic of the updates on the 02<, I've already factored that in and would love to go with an 02+ but insurance goes waaaaaaay up with every year newer, not too mention price of the car. Of all the cars I've checked on (including 2000 2.5RS, 99 eclipse gsx, and other much cheaper cars), the 01 s2k is the best on insurance. Haven't checked on a 2000 but it should be even better.
Thanks all. Any other info/comments welcome.
The insurance, pending your driving record, is excellent. I pay $1200 a year....I am 26 and married, however, I had a major accident and a ticket just over a year ago too.

From what I have heard, the S2000 takes a beating and keeps going....if longevity combined with using the car competitively is what you are worried about. I will be finding out this year myself...and my S has almost 84K on the clock already.