Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Anyone go from STi to S2000?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a supercharged s2k to a 300whp/307wtq STi then back to a stock s2k. The STi was by far the fastest of them all, but in terms of fun to drive the s2k is hard to beat. If I had to do it all over again I would still get another s2k.

If you are really looking to mod your s2k, seriously consider an 06+. Flashpro 4tw!
Old 06-03-2010, 12:21 PM

i kinda/ basically did the same switch

i went from wrx to evo 9 to evo x and i had to get back to what i know and that was my s2000.... i love the car. ya they are 2 diff rides but ive havent regret making the switch one bit....
Old 06-03-2010, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by petawabit,Jun 3 2010, 10:51 AM
I think that's a little extreme and discouraging saying that people with turbos are "constantly" going through engines. i haven't seen many, nor has there been enough for me to think that that statement is completely valid.

with regards to how much the stock block can take, i've seen general consensus say that 10psi is a safe threshold to stay at and under on an unopened, stock compression block with people running 15-20 psi with 3mm headgaskets. also, you'll see that the f2x engine sees better gains per psi of boost than subaru's due to efficiency of the motor. with 10psi on an efficient turbo setup and a gt30r-gt35r, one can see, depending on dyno, around 400whp.

superchargers are great on the s2000 as well with kraftwerks high boost kits making mid to high 300whp. vortech, science of speed, and the roots-type superchargers are making great numbers as well and are worth looking at
peta - I think you misread what I said... "very high hp turbo setups are constantly going through engines"... I am talking about the ones that are around 700 whp... not talking about most turbo setups only the extreme ones, which tend to be constantly abused at the track.

I was just trying to tell him that if the reason he was going turbo was because he wanted to get very high hp that he should also be prepared for the possibility of having to rebuild the engine. I was only saying this IF he wanted to go high hp wise. He seemed to be interested in SC at first but then switched his mind to turbo so I wasn't sure if the cause was that he wanted a very high hp car or what?

Most of the turbo and SC setups are reliable and a huge part of that is dependent on your tuner, so regardless if he goes turbo or sc he should find a reputable tuner. I agree with pretty much everything you said though. You can't go wrong with FI as long as you go with a reputable tuner and have relative caution with how much boost you go.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny I see this post b/c I just sold my STi today. I had an 04 STi for a daily and a s2k for track/auto-x. I much preferred driving the STi on the street b/c of its low end tq, room, and AWD for snow. But I didnt like to drive it at the track or auto-x b/c the car is not comfortable driving at 10/10ths. Not to mention the understeer. Vice versa w/ the S2k... I only like the s2k when its at the track.

I say test drive the s2k & make your decision from there.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 AM

Im in the process of moving to an AP1, currently have an 04 wrx. I love subarus and always will but the driving experience of a roadster is unmatched.

MPG on my wrx wasn't the best and my insurance will actually drop per month...(24 yrs old, State Farm). I'll miss the torque but I really like how connected you feel to a 2-seater.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:58 PM

I was looking to go from my S2k to an 05 STI. My insurance company quoted me something like $224 MORE per month then my S2k. That right there killed the deal for me. So I would def get a quote from your insurance company, I think you'll be surprised the S2k is actually cheap to insure and even cheaper to maintain.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ My 06 s2k was $10/mo more than my 04 STi. But there's a lot of variables in play.. age, driving record, etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by icudruln,May 30 2010, 04:19 PM
Questions:
Do you think I'll be happy going from an STi to an S2000?
How much do you pay for full coverage insurance; particularly those in that 18-24 age range?
In my limited time looking around at modifying S2000's, are they expensive to mod?
Is there anything in particular I should look for for problems on used S2000's?
I will be the one to bet that you might have buyers remorse if you go for the s2000. I used to have a 2006 STi and then got a 2007 s2000. If the STi makes you happy, well, the s2000 probably won't make you happy in the same ways, and it sounds like you plan to F/I a ways off.
Insurance was almost the same from one car to another. I was in the same age group as you.
s2000's are expensive to modify. N/A costs a lot of money for gains that do not particularly impress me. F/I is more expensive (usually 4-5k to start ) but I feel it is a more reliable and potent vehicle than the STi. Not to mention that the suspension can remain stock to compete with most STi's.
If I were to ever purchase a used S2000, I would find the one that makes me happy with the interior/exterior, and then get a compression/leak down test. It may interest you that 06+ models have the ability to flash their cpu's, where as previous years you have to use a standalone for most modifications. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM

I am in a strange way living your dilemna. My wife gave back her Honda Pilot off of lease and offered to drive my 08 STi and have me go get an S2000. So the STi is now her car. I have a set of blizzaks for the S2k and can honestly say that it handles better and more controllable in the snow than anything I have ever driven in the snow. Probably because I have never had snow tires before but with the blizzaks I drive the S all year round. When I drive the STi now, I feel as though I am in a Caddie. It feels cushy and rolls a lot comparitively. I still love the STi for blasting 0-60 but I have always been a finesse driver more than a power guy. The only thing that gets old is the drone of the full Spoon exhaust with no silencer (I need to buy one of those). I can't comment on insurance as I am 35/married/perfect record. My only complaint is that the previous owner cut the rear fenders for tire room and now I am straight to BSP in autocross. Getting murdered. Gonna have to just get better between the ears.