Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Anyone go from STi to S2000?

Old 05-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm u can refinance ur loan on the subie. I mean u only owe $12k on it thats not much at all if its still in good condition. I do love the S though great all around car. Except to mod costs tons of money and the only way to see any gains is FI. I use to own a evo and might go back to one for my own reasons of need more room in my car. But i would say if you are only geting rid of the subie do to the payment and you really want to keep it just refinace it right now it will lower youre payment and might lower the APR on it.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you did things the wrong way bro...should have kept the sti stock or gone with a wrx for a dialy and then modded up the s2K
Old 06-01-2010, 06:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icudruln,May 31 2010, 02:25 PM
That's interesting to hear a former Subie dude's perspective. I guess the first step is to drive a stock one and see how it feels.
Yup, as always: test drive.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 08YellowCR,May 31 2010, 02:32 PM
Hmm u can refinance ur loan on the subie. I mean u only owe $12k on it thats not much at all if its still in good condition. I do love the S though great all around car. Except to mod costs tons of money and the only way to see any gains is FI. I use to own a evo and might go back to one for my own reasons of need more room in my car. But i would say if you are only geting rid of the subie do to the payment and you really want to keep it just refinace it right now it will lower youre payment and might lower the APR on it.
I was told by a rep over the phone that the car loan company is refinancing little-no cars due to the economy. Suck

Originally Posted by josserman
you did things the wrong way bro...should have kept the sti stock or gone with a wrx for a dialy and then modded up the s2K
lmao
Old 06-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Had an 04 wrx w/ an 18G turbo getting close to 240 awhp (stis dynoed at 215), stoptech bbk, etc anyway I love the S2000 wayyyy more than I ever did the subie. It was a fun car but the S is much more fun. It is much more go-kartish than the sti and imo it looks way better.

The only thing I miss from my subie is the power, but I myself just bought another S with a comptech SC+fully built motor+built tranny that puts down 418whp so it's much faster than my old wrx and now there is nothing I miss from my old car. I have an A6 as the daily so room for stuff is not an issue.

With all that said, have you driven an S2000? After selling my wrx I was going to look into several cars... one drive in an S2000 and I was sold, never even checked out any of the other ones on my list. I knew what I wanted.

Oh and there is no problem buying an S with an SC just make sure to get it checked out and ask the owner about everything just to make sure that he took care of the car and knows what he is talking about. Some people don't know anything about their car and those tend to be the cars to walk away from as they could have been beat on and not properly maintained.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:08 PM

i went from an 05 STI to an S2000, still havnt looked back
Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,May 30 2010, 04:27 PM
STi and S2000 are two totally different cars achieving two totally different goals. Turbo vs NA, sedan vs two seater. AWD vs RWD, lightweight vs mid-heavyweight (2700-2800 lbs vs 3200-3300+), etc. It's a totally different car, but it's extremely satisfying. Sure you won't have boost when it's stock, but it feels incredible nevertheless.

Insurance depends on state, age, driving record, etc etc. You'll probably pay quite a bit less for an S vs an STi.

S2000 is pretty cheap to maintain, but expensive to mod. You're either going NA ($$$) or forced induction ($$$). The S isn't a cheap NA car to mod unlike a Civic Si or RSX Type S, so you have to do a lot of expensive NA stuff to really boost up the horsepower. Forced induction costs at least $4-8k to do properly, depending on your goals.

If you bought a stock S2000 and kept it that way you'd save money vs your STi (better gas mileage too), but if you start modding it, you'll be spending just as much as you do on your STi, if not more.
Agree.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mar48,Jun 1 2010, 03:00 PM
Had an 04 wrx w/ an 18G turbo getting close to 240 awhp (stis dynoed at 215), stoptech bbk, etc anyway I love the S2000 wayyyy more than I ever did the subie. It was a fun car but the S is much more fun. It is much more go-kartish than the sti and imo it looks way better.

The only thing I miss from my subie is the power, but I myself just bought another S with a comptech SC+fully built motor+built tranny that puts down 418whp so it's much faster than my old wrx and now there is nothing I miss from my old car. I have an A6 as the daily so room for stuff is not an issue.

With all that said, have you driven an S2000? After selling my wrx I was going to look into several cars... one drive in an S2000 and I was sold, never even checked out any of the other ones on my list. I knew what I wanted.

Oh and there is no problem buying an S with an SC just make sure to get it checked out and ask the owner about everything just to make sure that he took care of the car and knows what he is talking about. Some people don't know anything about their car and those tend to be the cars to walk away from as they could have been beat on and not properly maintained.
This helps a ton

My biggest concern is regretting getting out of the STi in terms of power. I'm leaning towards a stock S, but all I can find is yellow or silver! Why can't anyone be selling white?

In terms of modding, I've been eyeballing the Full-Race 3076 kit...I know a common reply to FI would be searching, and I fully plan on it, but is the s2000's compression fine with boost in terms of avoiding detonation and knock?
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Have you checked the classifieds on here? There are a few GPWs although they do seem to go for a premium over other colors.

Are you only considering turbo b/c you think you'll eventually want a high hp setup? If you don't think you'll want a very high hp setup then you should also consider SC. It seems that some of the very high hp turbo setups are constantly going through engines and I have heard that the turbo puts a little more strain on the engine. I think you'll be fine either way though, as long as you have a reputable tuner in your area to tune the turbo/SC setup for you.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mar48,Jun 3 2010, 09:18 AM
Have you checked the classifieds on here? There are a few GPWs although they do seem to go for a premium over other colors.

Are you only considering turbo b/c you think you'll eventually want a high hp setup? If you don't think you'll want a very high hp setup then you should also consider SC. It seems that some of the very high hp turbo setups are constantly going through engines and I have heard that the turbo puts a little more strain on the engine. I think you'll be fine either way though, as long as you have a reputable tuner in your area to tune the turbo/SC setup for you.
I think that's a little extreme and discouraging saying that people with turbos are "constantly" going through engines. i haven't seen many, nor has there been enough for me to think that that statement is completely valid.

with regards to how much the stock block can take, i've seen general consensus say that 10psi is a safe threshold to stay at and under on an unopened, stock compression block with people running 15-20 psi with 3mm headgaskets. also, you'll see that the f2x engine sees better gains per psi of boost than subaru's due to efficiency of the motor. with 10psi on an efficient turbo setup and a gt30r-gt35r, one can see, depending on dyno, around 400whp.

superchargers are great on the s2000 as well with kraftwerks high boost kits making mid to high 300whp. vortech, science of speed, and the roots-type superchargers are making great numbers as well and are worth looking at

Quick Reply: Anyone go from STi to S2000?