Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Anyone go from STi to S2000?

Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone go from STi to S2000?

Hey guys,

I'm currently an owner of a 2004 Subaru WRX STi (333whp/411wtq at 17.5psi). I love the car, but I'm afraid I may have to get rid of it this summer (money = suck). Long story short, I thought it'd be a good idea to get a 3 year loan on my car when I bought it so I could pay it off pretty soon. Recently, hours have been cut back at work, which has led to living paycheck to paycheck, largely due to being strapped down with the money that pays for the STi.

I love my Subaru, don't get me wrong, but I am currently planning on what I should do for the long run. I'm 20 years old, and am nearly done with college, but at the same time, am looking into things past that (tie the knot within the next two years,open a business, buy a house). This has led me to considering a car I've always loved. My dream was to eventually have my STi and an S2000 as a daily, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen for now. Currently, I have a cheap, $500 beater that I putt around town for errands, driving to work/school, so the S2000 wouldn't be a daily.

One thing I would definitely like to know what I'm getting myself into, is how much S2000's are to mod and maintain? I'm coming from the STi world where we see $50 oil changes, motors commonly pop ($1800-$3,000), $800 clutches, and so on. I'd end up with roughly $2,000-$5,000 left on paying towards an S2000, at which point I know I'll go to forced induction.

I've been around car forums for the past four years, so I know how lots of things go and work. I know to search when you need some info, as it drives everyone nuts asking what the best BOV or intake is.

Questions:
Do you think I'll be happy going from an STi to an S2000?
How much do you pay for full coverage insurance; particularly those in that 18-24 age range?
In my limited time looking around at modifying S2000's, are they expensive to mod?
Is there anything in particular I should look for for problems on used S2000's?

Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction. I'll be looking forward to being around the S2ki community, and possibly becoming an official part of it in the near future.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:21 PM

I'll post a few cars I'm considering. All are going to be in that 99-02 range with around 50k-65k miles, as those fall into my ideal price range of $10,000-$13,000. My ideal color choices are white, yellow, black, red (in order).

Feel free to post your car for sale if its in Colorado!

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1763980784.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/1761182666.html

Old 05-30-2010, 04:23 PM

Get an S2000 if the weather in Denver permits. I hate mine with the top up, it is a fair weather car for me. When the top is down, it really is the best ever.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by fishfryer,May 30 2010, 04:23 PM
Get an S2000 if the weather in Denver permits. I hate mine with the top up, it is a fair weather car for me. When the top is down, it really is the best ever.
Yeah, weather isn't an issue. I only drive the car in summer/no snow in winter days.

What are your thoughts on a boosted S2000 for sale?

Link: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/1762631604.html
Old 05-30-2010, 04:27 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

STi and S2000 are two totally different cars achieving two totally different goals. Turbo vs NA, sedan vs two seater. AWD vs RWD, lightweight vs mid-heavyweight (2700-2800 lbs vs 3200-3300+), etc. It's a totally different car, but it's extremely satisfying. Sure you won't have boost when it's stock, but it feels incredible nevertheless.

Insurance depends on state, age, driving record, etc etc. You'll probably pay quite a bit less for an S vs an STi.

S2000 is pretty cheap to maintain, but expensive to mod. You're either going NA ($$$) or forced induction ($$$). The S isn't a cheap NA car to mod unlike a Civic Si or RSX Type S, so you have to do a lot of expensive NA stuff to really boost up the horsepower. Forced induction costs at least $4-8k to do properly, depending on your goals.

If you bought a stock S2000 and kept it that way you'd save money vs your STi (better gas mileage too), but if you start modding it, you'll be spending just as much as you do on your STi, if not more.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM

I used to be a ex-wrx and ex-built subaru owner and you'll find ton others that have gone from subaru's to s2000's. aside from the lack of room to store/carry things, i think you'll find it more enjoyable. the lack of torque and power is another downside, but should be remedied with forced induction.

Gas mileage is better, maintenance is as well with regards to brakes/tires and I feel that the overall build quality is better with the s2000. Tons of people go lots of miles with regular dino oil as well. less than desirable weather will also be a factor as you have less overall grip on those conditions.

Insurance SHOULD be more expensive in the s2000. Currently, I pay around 1800/year (age 27, no points, only person on the policy). HP/$ ratio is very poor if you're going NA and the plunge for FI can be VERY expensive, if done with a quality kit (~10K). Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Disgustipated,May 30 2010, 04:27 PM
STi and S2000 are two totally different cars achieving two totally different goals. Turbo vs NA, sedan vs two seater. AWD vs RWD, lightweight vs mid-heavyweight (2700-2800 lbs vs 3200-3300+), etc. It's a totally different car, but it's extremely satisfying. Sure you won't have boost when it's stock, but it feels incredible nevertheless.

Insurance depends on state, age, driving record, etc etc. You'll probably pay quite a bit less for an S vs an STi.

S2000 is pretty cheap to maintain, but expensive to mod. You're either going NA ($$$) or forced induction ($$$). The S isn't a cheap NA car to mod unlike a Civic Si or RSX Type S, so you have to do a lot of expensive NA stuff to really boost up the horsepower. Forced induction costs at least $4-8k to do properly, depending on your goals.

If you bought a stock S2000 and kept it that way you'd save money vs your STi (better gas mileage too), but if you start modding it, you'll be spending just as much as you do on your STi, if not more.
I agree completely. You'd have to boost the S to see anywhere near the power your Scooby is seeing, especially the torque. In stock form the S2000 is as reliable a car as anything on the road and certainly as fun.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STI's are pretty bulletproof. My cousin had his and it went strong until around 60k. He constantly did road trips though putting thousands of miles on the car at a time. Nothing major though for repairs, just normal maintenance.

As for insurance, its really going to depend on your area. Just call a company and get a quote

s2000 is a great car, I don't think you will have any issues getting used to it.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the tips guys! I'm gonna go drive my buddies' stock AP1 tomorrow. My first choice is the link I posted in regards to the Comptech Charged Spa Yellow 02.

He's asking $13,300...58k on stock block/heads at 7psi. Is there anything I should be concerned about in buying a boosted S? I'll definitely do a compression test and leakdown test on the motor to see how good of shape its in, but is there anything else to keep an eye out for?

My main reason for even considering selling the STi is going from owing 12,xxx on my current car, vs likely 2,000-3,000 on the S2000.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by petawabit,May 30 2010, 04:37 PM
I used to be a ex-wrx and ex-built subaru owner and you'll find ton others that have gone from subaru's to s2000's. aside from the lack of room to store/carry things, i think you'll find it more enjoyable. the lack of torque and power is another downside, but should be remedied with forced induction.

Gas mileage is better, maintenance is as well with regards to brakes/tires and I feel that the overall build quality is better with the s2000. Tons of people go lots of miles with regular dino oil as well. less than desirable weather will also be a factor as you have less overall grip on those conditions.

Insurance SHOULD be more expensive in the s2000. Currently, I pay around 1800/year (age 27, no points, only person on the policy). HP/$ ratio is very poor if you're going NA and the plunge for FI can be VERY expensive, if done with a quality kit (~10K). Hope this helps. Good luck!
That's interesting to hear a former Subie dude's perspective. I guess the first step is to drive a stock one and see how it feels.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from STi to S2000?