Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

About rear-wheel drive

Old 04-27-2006, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Apr 25 2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Nick

Check out the UK Specific forum, there are some differences between a UK and US Car

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25
Has the link changed? I cant find anything??
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by wizard8100,Apr 26 2006, 05:16 PM
One other issue is tire temperature. I have broken loose my S2000 a couple of times when I first start up in the morning when trying to get into the traffic pattern from my house, but after the tires are warmer, they grip a lot better. This is with the stock Bridgestone performace tires on my 05. I just remember to take it a little easier for the first 5 minutes of driving.
Nah I had been out for about 10-15 mins, so they should have been warm enough....
Old 04-27-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Apr 26 2006, 06:23 PM
temperature is definitely a factor, as is air pressure and alignment
It could have been the tyre pressure or the alignment, but it was probably just me!
Old 04-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by balltheheed,Apr 27 2006, 05:26 PM
Has the link changed? I cant find anything??
Nope That IS the UK Section.

International Communities: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?c=52

UK Community: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Apr 27 2006, 08:32 AM
Nope That IS the UK Section.

International Communities: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?c=52

UK Community: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25

oops, my mistake

Cheers
Old 04-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

No probs, the site is massive so I wouldnt expect you to know the way round it in 3 days
Old 04-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by balltheheed,Apr 27 2006, 09:19 AM
I guess i'm just used to chucking my car into corners and it gripping! Thats the one thing im going to miss about my GTI-6 as it doesn't over steer nor under steer, its great.

Yeah I probably did let off because It caught me by total surprise and the end was swinging dangerously close to the kerb!

Yeah I was wondering why it didn't have traction control?
It really depends on how you look at things. All FWD car under-steer or rather torque-steer. Had you chucked a FWD car, GTI or otherwise into a corner and hit the throttle you would have induced under-steer. Under-steer is great for keeping grannies out of trouble and that's why 99% of cars made do it.

Over-steer OTOH is a weapon. You can really hurt yourself badly but if used skillfully can be very effective. Yes, it can be scary for a newbie and can get you in big trouble but once you've mastered the controlling car rotation with controller over-steer you will leave your pushy FWD friend in the mirrors.

Car control is developed over time though and it will take much to master. This is where an autocross and track days come in. They give you the change to practice what you can't safely do on the street. After a few years of wagging the tail you will not only be faster but you will be safer because you'll be able to control the car even if you get to hot into a corner and you'll know that the gas pedal has more than 2 settings, on and off, and what those settings are for.

You don't need to be a master of car control to safely drive an S2000 you just need to know that it will bite back if you disrespect it. You've already had one such experience and lived to tell of it so you are already ahead of the game.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Retitling this thread, and linking to it in the FAQ, as many newbies have asked this question.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:32 AM

So far i have only had 2-3 years experiance with rwd its self and very little experiance with the s2000.

I have learnt a number of very important rules for driving this car

1, look ahead, think ahead and expect the worst
2, read the road, bumps, oil, road kill :>
3, expect the back end to go at any time (keeps you on the ball and you'll be aware of the space you have around you to get it back again
4, Do EVERY thing smoothly, even when you think its gonna end in tears, do it smoothly cos you might just come out alright.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Liam,Apr 28 2006, 06:32 AM
4, Do EVERY thing smoothly, even when you think its gonna end in tears, do it smoothly cos you might just come out alright.
Good tip there. For both on and off the tack.

Learning to drive again in my S2000 has revealed an terrible fault/habit I have fallen into... shifting in the middle of a turn. That's fine at 15-20mph and around 3000rpm, but try that at 7500rpm and the car will squirt and wiggle like crazy. It just totally upsets the car's balance.

I wan't even aware that it had become a habit but this sweet car revealed my fault quickly and I've corrected it. My foot stays off the clutch until I have the wheels pointed straight again.

Quick Reply: About rear-wheel drive