Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

About rear-wheel drive

Old 04-24-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About rear-wheel drive

Hi all,

I currently looking for just the right S2000, but since I found ya'll I thought i'd ask a quick question....please humor me if this has been answered/asked before as I know how annoying it can be (Pug 306 gti-6 owners club member).....but I have read through a lot of posts and haven't found anything that really answers my question....

I have taken a few S2000's out for a test drive, however I have only ever driven Front Wheel Drive cars; how do you get the S2000 to handle well? I took one around a roundabout yesterday (in the dry) and as I accelerated onto the straight (20mph up to 30mph in 2nd), the back end kicked out and after a correction snapped back in just as quickly! Its obviously driver error, but what was I doing wrong?

Its got me thinking that if its that wild in the dry, its going to kill me in the wet.

Cheers,
Nick (UK)
Old 04-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Driving rear-wheel-drive takes practice and a change of habits from FWD, Nick.

The short answer answer is to brake before entering a turn, keep minimal/light accel. through the turn, and then get on it as you straighten out. If you get on it too hard and the back comes out, you let up a little (just not completely).

You can basically point the car in all kinds of directions with RWD, but your fastest way through a corner is usually not sliding. That means setting your speed INTO the corner not expecting to brake or accelerate until you're through the turn.

Please be careful as you learn the car!!! Many new owners have failed to respect the S2000s handling, and ended up swapping front with rear. Not fun.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nick, you are asking 2 loaded questions.

First, you don't need to do anything to get the S2000 to handle well, it does already.

Second, what you did wrong is you gave it more throttle than the tires could cope with and then you let off causing them to grip again except the rear tires were no longer pointing in the same direction as the car was moving hence the them snapping back. More broadly you need to learn to drive a rear-drive car which applies to any rear-drive car. Traction control would help keep you out of trouble until you learn which may be a problem in the S2000 because it doesn't have TC until the 06 model year.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Going around roundabouts is so much FUN!
And you have plenty of them in the UK
What you dont need to go round a roundabout is one of these:

Especially in the wet.
Its my daily driver for over a year now and no problems.
So.. buy one!
Old 04-25-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi Nick

Check out the UK Specific forum, there are some differences between a UK and US Car

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=25
Old 04-26-2006, 05:16 PM

One other issue is tire temperature. I have broken loose my S2000 a couple of times when I first start up in the morning when trying to get into the traffic pattern from my house, but after the tires are warmer, they grip a lot better. This is with the stock Bridgestone performace tires on my 05. I just remember to take it a little easier for the first 5 minutes of driving.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

temperature is definitely a factor, as is air pressure and alignment
Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Apr 24 2006, 03:37 PM
Driving rear-wheel-drive takes practice and a change of habits from FWD, Nick.

The short answer answer is to brake before entering a turn, keep minimal/light accel. through the turn, and then get on it as you straighten out. If you get on it too hard and the back comes out, you let up a little (just not completely).

You can basically point the car in all kinds of directions with RWD, but your fastest way through a corner is usually not sliding. That means setting your speed INTO the corner not expecting to brake or accelerate until you're through the turn.

Please be careful as you learn the car!!! Many new owners have failed to respect the S2000s handling, and ended up swapping front with rear. Not fun.
So its going to be like learning to drive again! Cool!!

Cheers for the advice.
Nick
Old 04-27-2006, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Apr 24 2006, 03:56 PM
Nick, you are asking 2 loaded questions.

First, you don't need to do anything to get the S2000 to handle well, it does already.

Second, what you did wrong is you gave it more throttle than the tires could cope with and then you let off causing them to grip again except the rear tires were no longer pointing in the same direction as the car was moving hence the them snapping back. More broadly you need to learn to drive a rear-drive car which applies to any rear-drive car. Traction control would help keep you out of trouble until you learn which may be a problem in the S2000 because it doesn't have TC until the 06 model year.
I guess i'm just used to chucking my car into corners and it gripping! Thats the one thing im going to miss about my GTI-6 as it doesn't over steer nor under steer, its great.

Yeah I probably did let off because It caught me by total surprise and the end was swinging dangerously close to the kerb!

Yeah I was wondering why it didn't have traction control?
Old 04-27-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Apr 25 2006, 01:14 PM
Going around roundabouts is so much FUN!
And you have plenty of them in the UK
What you dont need to go round a roundabout is one of these:

Especially in the wet.
Its my daily driver for over a year now and no problems.
So.. buy one!
Haha quality image. Note to self: Lose weight on Right foot!

Quick Reply: About rear-wheel drive