Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

350z owner looking for an S2000, saying Hello!

Old 06-16-2010, 02:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome......
Old 06-16-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Booey1979,Jun 15 2010, 09:48 PM
Can you post your thoughts on the differences that you found, driving impressions and comfort? Also daily driver for both?
My G35 was the daily until it got totalled. I can tell you that in terms of daily drivability, the G takes every trophy except MPG and fun. However, I can also tell you that the S is indeed faster if you're drag racing, unless you're racing a HR Z, or a 370/G37.

The G/Z is a lot 'quieter' than the S; in the S, you can hear every little sound if you listen for it.

In the G, I could drive 6+ hours straight without any real fatigue, whereas in the S, I'd need to stretch after 3 hours.

Handling and braking is not even a comparison. S destroys the Z and G here.

Stereo goes to the Z and G. Again, the S gets blown away here.

Build quality easily goes to the S. After numerous track days, spirited drives, canyons, and 50k+ miles, the S has zero creaks and rattles (except that pesky latch rattle).

Long term reliability would go to the S as well, the VQ35DE wasn't known for its longevity, especially when driven hard.

Clutch feel... well, the S is like a honda. It's super light. The Z/G's clutch was always clunky. This is a wash; I replaced my clutch with an aftermarket one in the S right after I bought it.

Trans goes to the S. No contest.

(stock) exhaust note goes to the G/Z. That factory howl is unique, and IMO, very well engineered. I used to roll down the windows and drive aggressive from 3-5k rpm all the time, just to hear the exhaust. You don't even hear the exhaust in the S.

Headlights are... a little difficult. The low beams are FAR better in the S. No contest. However, the later G's with Bixenons have spectacular high beams. The S's high beams are a joke.

Z/G guys all want to call their cars sports cars. Sporty? yes. Sports? not in my opinion. No factory camber adjustment in the front. No mechanical LSD. These are "sports car features" that even a Miata has. Ultimately, I think the Z/G is a mass marketed (and highly successful) car that is made with a lot of compromises (platform sharing), as opposed to the S which targets a niche market.

I'm gonna warn you that if you can still live with the S after a few months of ownership, you're gonna be stuck with it for life
Old 06-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn,Jun 16 2010, 09:38 AM
My G35 was the daily until it got totalled. I can tell you that in terms of daily drivability, the G takes every trophy except MPG and fun. However, I can also tell you that the S is indeed faster if you're drag racing, unless you're racing a HR Z, or a 370/G37.

The G/Z is a lot 'quieter' than the S; in the S, you can hear every little sound if you listen for it.

In the G, I could drive 6+ hours straight without any real fatigue, whereas in the S, I'd need to stretch after 3 hours.

Build quality easily goes to the S. After numerous track days, spirited drives, canyons, and 50k+ miles, the S has zero creaks and rattles (except that pesky latch rattle).

Long term reliability would go to the S as well, the VQ35DE wasn't known for its longevity, especially when driven hard.

Clutch feel... well, the S is like a honda. It's super light. The Z/G's clutch was always clunky. This is a wash; I replaced my clutch with an aftermarket one in the S right after I bought it.

(stock) exhaust note goes to the G/Z. That factory howl is unique, and IMO, very well engineered. I used to roll down the windows and drive aggressive from 3-5k rpm all the time, just to hear the exhaust. You don't even hear the exhaust in the S.

Headlights are... a little difficult. The low beams are FAR better in the S. No contest. However, the later G's with Bixenons have spectacular high beams. The S's high beams are a joke.

Z/G guys all want to call their cars sports cars. Sporty? yes. Sports? not in my opinion. No factory camber adjustment in the front. No mechanical LSD. These are "sports car features" that even a Miata has. Ultimately, I think the Z/G is a mass marketed (and highly successful) car that is made with a lot of compromises (platform sharing), as opposed to the S which targets a niche market.

I'm gonna warn you that if you can still live with the S after a few months of ownership, you're gonna be stuck with it for life
amen to that!

my friend is a 2005 350z owner... he used to be an s2k owner, but due to him getting heavier, he had to move to a more suitable car... and like you (OP), he wanted that 'lateral' jump...
but with that said, he begs me to trade cars with me everyday... he misses the nimbleness and the fun factor that the s2k gives... along with the topdown function... im probably in the minority, but i prefer softtop over hardtop...

and no... 'diet' is not in his vocabulary...
Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn,Jun 16 2010, 09:38 AM

Thanks man good to know. I def. agree with the uniqueness of the S as opposed to the platform sharing of the Z.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will miss the torque of the Z in the beginning but after a few miles you will get comfortable with the S and prefer the higher revs. It's perfect for driving around town in.