Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

2001 AP1 Stock base dyno sheet

Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 AP1 Stock base dyno sheet

Hey ya'll, new to the site and just got a 2001 s2000 with 55K on it. Dyno is a dynojet 224x with temps between 75-80F, sealevel. car is completely stock as I got it. Only thing I did was change engine/tranny oil before I ran the baseline. Didnt do plugs or 60K tuneup. Planning on going NA with an ihe and a tune. Maybe 4.77gears as well.

And since we live in the land of lawyers...

Disclosure: Dyno sheet is for reference/informational purposes only. Not responsible for anguish/pain/shock if you dyno with unexpected results.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome!! Decent numbers for an early AP1.

This may not want to be the advice you want to hear...but save your money on header....the only ones that do a thing are well over a grand. And unless you don't mind a really loud single exhaust, none of the exhausts out there will give good gains either...but even those singles are expensive. If you didn't live in CA, I'd say get a TP instead, but that's probably not smart out there.

If I were you, I would spend the money you were going to spend on h/e on a new ECU and a good tune instead. If you can get away with the AEM EMS in CA, then that is the cheapest route (make sure you get the newly released version 2). Otherwise, the Kpro is probably the best solution since it keeps ODBII...but it does require you to change some sensors including the crank sensor (which is a PIA).

Just some advice from someone who has spent about as much money as I would for a decent turbo kit in trying to get the most out of NA for the last 8yrs. And still only getting 215whp on a DynoDynamics (about 225-230whp on a DynoJet).
Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Aug 29 2009, 08:55 AM

This may not want to be the advice you want to hear...but save your money on header....the only ones that do a thing are well over a grand. And unless you don't mind a really loud single exhaust, none of the exhausts out there will give good gains either...but even those singles are expensive. If you didn't live in CA, I'd say get a TP instead, but that's probably not smart out there.

If I were you, I would spend the money you were going to spend on h/e on a new ECU and a good tune instead. If you can get away with the AEM EMS in CA, then that is the cheapest route (make sure you get the newly released version 2). Otherwise, the Kpro is probably the best solution since it keeps ODBII...but it does require you to change some sensors including the crank sensor (which is a PIA).

Just some advice from someone who has spent about as much money as I would for a decent turbo kit in trying to get the most out of NA for the last 8yrs. And still only getting 215whp on a DynoDynamics (about 225-230whp on a DynoJet).
Good info Neg. Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the advice Neg. I'll keep that in mind. was thinking of getting the T1R 70-R dual sparrow and putting it on the dyno to confirm/debunk the dyno claims. wanted a new exhaust anyway for sound/weight savings. I'll skip on the header like u said and just go HFC/exhaust + tune and call it a day. Prob going to give emanage ultimate a glance since its less of a pain than Kpro and keeps OBDII.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:12 PM

My tuner recommended me from spending any money at all on any bolt ons for the S2K, to just save up for boost. Then again, I think they want me to buy their turbo kit when they release it this winter.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ek2s2k9k,Aug 29 2009, 06:41 PM
Prob going to give emanage ultimate a glance since its less of a pain than Kpro and keeps OBDII.
Just make sure your tuner knows enough to use the EMU to advance the timing appropriately. Many tuners just end up using an EMU to adjust A/F only, and that leaves hp on the table. You can get another ~5whp with a good timing map.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome. Here's some data for comparison.

My 01 made around the same power couple years back with a test pipe:

Turns out at that time the car had 8 bent valves lol

I just dyno'd it last week with a short ram, test pipe, and kpro:

All I did was clean A/F down to 13.2 as best I could and left the timing maps alone. I'm sure there's another 5hp in there between that and new plugs.

Video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l3A_GzXw40 [/media]

I am boosting the car very soon. I'm very happy I stayed away from N/A mods on this car. The power to dollar ratio is simply not worth it IMO.

Welcome!!

- The Spectacle
Old 08-30-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by negcamber,Aug 29 2009, 02:55 PM

Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM

thanks for the constructive advice. the video confirms that I wont be going kpro. Ugh! I'll be rocking the same plx wideband and try to street tune myself before handing it off to a tuner.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The install is a bitch but it was worth it. Kpro tuning...a caveman could do it