Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

00-01 Plastic Window vs 02 plus Glass Window

Old 11-06-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00-01 Plastic Window vs 02 plus Glass Window

I know that they changed the top in 2002 ( im pretty sure its 02) and I was thinking, why dont people from 2000/01 change their top to a glass window if they wanted to. Is there something keeping that from being done besides price for a new top ?
Old 11-06-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do retrofits all the time.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I happen to not mind my plastic window. You either have a bigger plastic window that somewhat distorts what you see in the rearview or you have a much smaller glass window that limits what you see in the rearview.
I only need to discern movement and the fact that something is back there. I don't need to see a clear outline or even what color the thing is. As for the plastic window getting yellow and brittle and cracking, in the 5 years I've had it, I take care of it and it's like new. I also don't care that the plastic window doesn't have a defroster. In winter, I've got a hardtop that takes care of that.
I've never had a desire to convert to a glass rear window. Never will. IMO, a glass rear window is not "all that".
Old 11-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had an '01 with a plastic back window and now own an '02 with a glass back window. One of the main reasons that I traded up one model year was for the glass back window. IMO you don't loose any significant visibility going with the glass back window. With the plastic back window you see more of the trunk, why that matters to some people I'm not sure but as far as looking through the rearview mirror I don't see any difference between the two windows. I'm 5'-11" tall so maybe the plastic back window is better for someone shorter than I am, not sure.

I hated the plastic back window because everything is distorted and it flaps around so bad on the highway that it's difficult to see any detail of what is behind you. Also, with the glass, cleaning is easier. I don't have to worry about scratching or creasing the window. The glass window has a defroster, which isn't used much but glad to have it when I need it. Etc, etc. If you haven't noticed, most every roadster on the market has gone to a glass back window.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:08 PM

I use my defroster on serveral occasions. I can't imagine not having one.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:13 PM

i have a 01 with plastic window and just purchased a 05 with glass window/defroster. i decided to put money down on a new one because the plastic window is just plain ugly and cheap
Old 11-06-2005, 02:20 PM

My 5 year old plastic window is also in great shape and only requires occasional maintenance and careful cleaning. I just wish it had a zipper so I could unzip it on those days when I don't feel like putting the top down. If it does wear out, I'll replace it with glass, though.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:25 PM

one word...tint.

The plastic window looks awesome with the tint, better than glass or clear plastic, givesz a more aggresive look! No more cleaning every other day with palwitc ploish, now I just throw sopa and water every 3 week or so
Old 11-06-2005, 02:44 PM

I will say that with the glass window, you cannot see thr tops of SUVs when they're close. "why is this a problem you ask?" Well here in Hawaii, cops use their personal cars and that's where they put their little blue light!

Yes, I'm speaking from experience.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:56 PM

Just keep the top down. Problem solved!

Quick Reply: 00-01 Plastic Window vs 02 plus Glass Window