Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Where do you guys "drive" at.

Old 05-14-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you guys "drive" at.

I just got back from visiting your beautiful island (actually Oahu and Kauai) and saw a few S2000's while there. I probably saw more on dealer lots than all San Francisco Bay Area dealers put together.

Since I did quite a bit of driving around while there (in a minivan, yuck!), I was wondering where the roads are where you can push an S2000 a bit. We have lots of roads in the Bay Area where you can go fast for many miles and only have to pass a few slow cars. Other than maybe Waimea Canyon on Kauai early in the morning, I didn't see any roads where it looked like you could take some quick turns for more than maybe 20 seconds.

So, do such roads exist? If so, how long are they? Are there certain times of the day (Sunday morning?) or times of the year when the roads are more clear?

Many of the roads look like they could be a lot of fun if you could get all of the tourist, locals, and chickens (Kauai) off of them.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:02 PM

Don't know much about Kauai, but on Oahu, there aren't many places to push hard on the car *safely*. Now for the unsafe roads... there's Tantalus drive, a long very twisty road with some very sharp turns (some more than 90 degrees). Very fun, but very dangerous as well.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:51 PM

Tantalus is similar to Waimea although Waimea is much much longer. Hmmm... The Old Pali road is fun not very long but fun nevertheless. H-3 for the long straightaways. BTW my favorite music while driving in these places are. Robin Hood Prince of Thieves soundtrack and Emperial March from Empire Strikes Back. The music really adds to the excitement.

I think driving up Haleakala on Mauai would be a blast!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the replys. Now another question:

What is the proper way to merge onto a road when coming up an on-ramp?

There were at least two occasions when I had to merge with traffic, got up to speed, and planned to move in smoothly like we do here in California all the time, and I had people speed up, cut me off, honk, and make rude gestures. It was worse than driving in Utah!

Was I just unlucky in meeting a few people who were militant about not wanting to drive behind a minivan, or is this a more common driving practice?

Both cases were on Oahu. Everyone was totally polite (if often slow) on Kauai.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's how a lot of drivers here in Hawaii are. Its sad to say. Since I have been in Hawaii I have seen some of the worst driving ever. I think only Virginia ranks worse in my opinion. I think Hawaii and Virginia should get there license in California or Alaska. They need to learn how to drive in the rain, PERIOD.
If its raining on the way to work, I EXPECT TO BE CAUGHT IN TRAFFIC DUE TO AN ACCIDENT. Oh well sorry for venting, its just that I have had a few idiots try to race me during storms on the freeway (Hawaii drivers need to learn that once you hit over 55mph you will start to hydroplane, plain and simple).
In fact I had this guy blow by me and rev at around 90 mph on the freeway while it was pouring last weekend. I couldn't even see his tires because there was so much water on the road. I was going like 50 mph. Anyway.
Peace
Old 05-15-2002, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottrnelson
[B]Thanks for the replys.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:01 PM

To me the VERY WORST are the following

1. Slow traffic in the PASSING LANE. Not the left lane the PASSING LANE!!!
2. People who are trying to make a right turn speed up to make the turn and then SLOW DOWN after they turn!!! OH that just drives me crazy!!!!!
Old 05-16-2002, 05:38 PM

I agree with all of the above. For being "The Aloha State", there sure isn't a whole lot of Aloha on the road. I've been to Europe, so I've seen crazier drivers, but I've never seen more discourteous drivers than here. A lot of people here really do speed up and cut you off when you signal your intention to enter the lane they're in. It's pathetic.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by smccurry
A lot of people here really do speed up and cut you off when you signal your intention to enter the lane they're in. It's pathetic.
It drives Fran crazy , but I never signal for this reason I usually use our extra power and accelerate into the "hole" in traffic. If I'm in a bad mood, I may actually wave a "sarcastic thanks"
Old 05-16-2002, 05:57 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by scottrnelson
[B]Thanks for the replys.

Quick Reply: Where do you guys "drive" at.