Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Tony Honda

Old 04-24-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tony Honda

Does anyone know if Tony Honda will fix something because it's on a TSB? I just purchased my S2k from Tony Group in OAHU. I love the S2k, but there is just one anoying and sorta embarassing part about it. It makes this buzz from the engine or transmission while Decelerating. The part that makes that noise is a defect and the TSB says to replace it with the improved clutch disc. Do you think there just going to tell me that its a ware and tare item and send me on my way? The TSB also names the old clutch plate as a Failed Part, and gives a Defect Code. Does anyone recomend someone specific that I could talk to from Tony Group?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-25-2004, 12:26 AM

What year is your car? The TSB only applies to '00 and '01 (I'm pretty sure) and most of these cars are now out of warranty. IMO, it would be hard to get them to do the work unless the factory approves it first.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:04 AM

It's a 2001

I just bought it 3 days ago, I noticed the rattle a little bit when i test drove it. I mentioned it to the car salesmen but like usuall he made up a dumb excuse. I have a limited warranty with the car for 90 days or a certain amount of milleage. Then i'll have to use the warranty that I purchased through my bank. I'm just wondering if there going to tell me tuff luck cause its a wear-and-tear item. I guess i'll have to wait until monday and see what they say since they didn't call me back when i left a message.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:18 PM

I don't want to sound harsh, but the TSB is a known issue. IMO, if you already knew about it before you bought the car, you should have made it a condition of the sale when you were negotiating your deal. (ie. "I'll buy this car today if you'll get your service department to go to bat for me with AHM on this TSB issue")

If you only found out about it after the purchase was made, then you may have trouble getting them to work on it (since they don't have to). I'm not sure about Tony's 90 day warranty, but if you are referring to the State required Lemon Law used car warranty, this won't cover it unless it actually fails. I doubt your extended warranty will cover this either since the clutch pressure plate and disc is a wear and tear item as you mentioned.

On the bright side, there is no real downside to the noise you mentioned. I've had it on both cars (our '00 and '01) and it does not affect the performance of the vehicle.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:06 PM

I don't consider that a wear and tear item because the report names the part on the Honda to be a FAILED PART. And in the Background portion of the report on the last paragraph it also says that if the customer had the previous clutch disc installed but still complains of the decelaration noise. Install the clutch disc listed in the report. So I guess they thought they solved the problem once before with a different clutch disc, but now they have came out with a new one thats is supposed to get rid of that noise. I understand that it doesn't hurt anything but that noise really sounds sick....

I would of brought that up if I wasn't doing a trade in and they weren't hooking me up with an awesome deal. I thought that if anything was wrong with the car they would fix it later since its under a 90 day warranty. Also my other arguement with them is when they did there 150 point inspection they should of heard that noise and fixed it. A part of there inspection under Maintnance says to check for rattle noise and stuff like that. They didn't disclose that they heard the noise which whould lead them to the failed part.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:50 PM

Congratulations on your purchase!

IMHO, Tony Honda is not going to do this TSB for you. You can try asking them, since it doesn't hurt to ask. I think your chances are slim to none though. Let us know how it turns out. Sorry I can't help you out. I don't know anyone at Tony Honda.
FWIW, my '01 also makes this deceleration buzz, but I can't hear it due to my exhaust system
Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 AM

Well, you're new around here and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot in responding to your first post. Congratulations on your purchase, and good luck with Tony Honda. I think you already know what the answer is gonna be, but as Stephen said, it cannot hurt to ask.

Just so you know, I work at a dealership and my responses are what most car dealers will tell anyone who purchases a used car, they are sold "as is" If the didn't disclose there is a rattle, then they will claim they did not hear it and thus they did not disclose it. This is why I was saying that this needed to be brought out at the time of the purchase. I can also almost guarantee that your salesguy knows nothing about the TSB. Very few salesguys even know how to change the oil on a car, much less what goes on in the service department.

IMO, your best course of action now is to try to enlist the dealer to help you convince AHM to perform the TSB on your behalf. Remember it it AHM who is paying for it, not Tony. If AHM refuses, I can almost guarantee that Tony will NOT offer to pay for this for you. If they tried to get AHM to repair it prior to the sale and AHM refused, they could have repaired it themselves, but your car would have cost an extra $1000 or more. I'm not defending Tony here, but I'd even bet that nobody here even thought there were "odd noises" coming from the car. At our store, our used car manager almost put Toyo (or some other non-OE rear tire) on a used S2000 we had. I stopped him telling him that if he did that, the car would probably spin out because of the dangerous handling that would result. They jsut have no idea how sensitive the car is.

Again, I'm not trying to be harsh, just trying to offer you an idea of what you have ahead of you from another point of view. I hope you'll come out to our meet next Sunday, maybe the sound you have is not that bad compared to others. You could let some of listen to it. Many of the cars exhibit some tranny noise all the time, even our two cars with the TSB done still make more noise than our old GS-Rs or my old MR-2 Turbo.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM

Well I just went to TONY HONDA, and talked to a service person. They made an appointment for me on FRI 0600. She asked me if it was under warranty and I told them that I had bought the car 3 days ago and she said alright and she set the appointment. I don't know if that means that It's a 100% sure that its going to get fixed or if they just set the appointment and are going to tell me something different when I get there Friday morning.

I hope it all works out and if they don't do it then, I guess I'll have to wait for an exhaust to hide the noise.

I wish I could go on Sunday but I have to work this weekend. Maybe I'll be able to make it out to the next meet up.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:18 PM

This is positive. I think the main thing to remember is that the dealer really has no say in this matter, other than asking AHM on your behalf. The TSB is issued by AHM, and they are the ones footing the bill. Good luck

edit: I have heard that TSB repairs will probably be denied to non-original owners. There is an outside chance you'd get a goodwill repair.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:17 PM

Colin or SMCCURRY, can I get a Hawaii Badge?

Quick Reply: Tony Honda