Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Tips on Maui

Old 03-05-2002, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on Maui

Greetings,

First of all, let me say how jealous I am of all of you in Hawaii . I just got my S2K 8 days ago and have only been able to go out in it 3 times because of the snow in Chicago.

I am going to Maui with my wife next week and I was wondering if you have any tips on the best restaurants and activities. We are staying at the Westin for 6 days and the Sheraton for 2. My wife has already booked reservations at Gerard's, Plantation House, and Old Lahaina Luau. Besides for lounging around the pool we are planning on driving up to the volcano (I wish I had my S2K! ) and also doing some snorkeling.

Thanks in advance for your advise!

Al
Old 03-05-2002, 10:11 AM

I don't visit Maui frequently, and when I did, it was only in Kahului for work. Hopefully someone else can answer your question. You can see the Haleakala crater, take a long drive to Hana (I mean long!), or take a snorkeling tour to Molokini (which I heard is great, and have been dying to do that). They also have a new public aquarium (the kind where you walk through a glass or plexiglass tunnel that's supposed to be really nice. I know Lahaina is the place to be for tourists (and to see some babes!).
Old 03-05-2002, 10:53 AM

I've been to Maui 3 times now, so here's my 2 cents. The first 2 trips were mainly for windsurfing, but the last time I went with the girls and got to see more of the island:

A great place to eat is Mama's Fish House outside of Paia on the North Shore. A little pricy, but totally Hawaiian ambience and absolutely fresh-caught fish. MMMMM. If you (or your wife) likes spas, definitely do a spa day at the Grand Wailea Resort in Wailea. If nothing else, just stop in for a cocktail or lunch, it's beautiful.

If you do decide to make a day of driving to Hana (beautiful, very long, slow drive, definitely would be awesome to have your S2000!), keep going to O'heo (the bogus "Seven Sacred Pools" and hike up to the waterfall. It's about a 2-hour hike, but the giant bamboo forest makes it totally worth it. Nothing like I've ever seen before. There are pools you can swim in if you're so inclined. I was there in October and they were having a scare with dengue fever brought over by some mosquitos, so we didn't go into the water at O'heo.

There's really good snorkeling up past Kaanapali by Lanuda (sp?) Bay. I can't remember the name of the bay, but you park on the road and there's a stairway going down. It's protected so you see a lot of very cool fish. Also off the coast of Kihei is some beautiful coral and we saw about 10 sea turtles out there (in front of Kealia Resort/Sugar Beach Resort).

Have a great time!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:27 AM

I can't tell you much about Maui (even though my sister lives there), but that it's popular. I remember several threads coming up about "where to go on Maui". If you do a search on "maui" you'll get plenty of suggestions. Aloha
Old 03-06-2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by smccurry
I can't tell you much about Maui (even though my sister lives there), but that it's popular. I remember several threads coming up about "where to go on Maui". If you do a search on "maui" you'll get plenty of suggestions. Aloha
I did a search on Maui and found some good stuff. Thanks!

Al
Old 03-06-2002, 11:56 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ALs S2K
[B]

I did a search on Maui and found some good stuff.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:19 AM

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2k_redhead

If you do decide to make a day of driving to Hana (beautiful, very long, slow drive, definitely would be awesome to have your S2000!)

I haven't been out that road in 5 years but seriously doubt I would take my S2K on it. If they paved it smooth, sure I would take it, but everytime I have benn out there the road was such a a disaster that you would leave the bottom of the car behind. You're getting in at the end of the whale watching season but you can go out of Lahaina or the resort areas to check out the humpbacks that are cruising around. I had one come up about 20 feet from me whem I was in a sea kayak once, awesome!!!! If your a golfer take your clubs and slip over to Lanai for a an awesome round. The helicopter tours can be a lot of fun and depending on the pilot scarirer then driving your S2K in the snow. Have a blast.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:04 PM

I'm here on Maui now staying at the Grand Wailea. Very nice hotel! Haven't done much sight seeing since we've been busy with all the pools and slides over here. Went to Front Street in Lahaina last night, and boy that place is crowded. I think we saw more tourists there than we do in Waikiki (or close to it).
Old 03-19-2002, 10:41 PM

Just ate at Tasty Crust in Wailuku. A nice hole in the wall kind of place with great local food. Had the most tasty 16 oz sizzling T-bone steak dinner for only $10 (their specialty)! Highly recommend this place!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:10 AM

Check out Big Beach...also the adjoining beach, Little Beach..

Quick Reply: Tips on Maui