Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Tint shop cut my top

Old 01-22-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tint shop cut my top

I got my tint done this past Monday (Martin Luther King Day) and on Tuesday I noticed something on my top but I thought it was a piece of tint film that they left there so I didnt think anything of it. So today Im washing my car and I see that its a 1 inch rip on the seam by the rear window. The tint shop had to have done it because its like right there where they trace the outline of the tint and they cut around the window to form the shape of the window.I called the tint shop up but the owner is not there. I have the reciept and I talked to one of the guys that work there and he said to bring it down so they can look at it. His comment was "are you sure that we did it?" I told him I am 100% sure because it wasnt there earlier. And I havnt drove my since I took it there. My question is do you think I should take them to court if they say its not them? What should I do?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:12 AM

I think if they give you a hard time then you definitely should. My sugestion is if it comes down to it, don't go near it and if possible try not to drive your car. Someone will be able to tell what kind of tool was used that cut your top and compare it to theirs and worse case, it can be dusted for prints for the last person who touched that area. Stuff like this happeneds all the time around here in NY and NJ but sometimes worse, and you'll be surprised what you can find out from what seems like little evidence.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:51 AM

Last night I went to show my friend who works at the tint shop. He said it had to have been from them because its kind of obvious the way its cut and the position. He said that they might make a patch kit but the thing is is that its a 03 and still brand new, and I dont want a half a## job. I want a really good job done. Its not a hole its a small tear right by the back window. When the years go by it will get bigger. Anyways Ill see what happens. Im supposed to take the car down to show the main boss on Saturday.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:49 PM

That really sucks!
I wouldn't settle for anything short of a new top. A patch kit will save them money, but it won't be perfect. You shouldn't have to settle for less for their mistake. Don't be a nice guy about it, threaten to take them to small claims court if they don't pay for a new top. Hopefully they have some kind of insurance to cover the charges.
Just an FYI, when my top was replaced 2 years ago, it cost $2,200 for parts and labor at Golden Upholstery (my car got slashed in an attempted theft).
Old 01-23-2004, 02:13 PM

Whoaa $2200 I minus well tell them to get me a hardtop lol. Since my car is a 03 and still new I dont want a patch kit. Its still new and I gotta patch it Im so mad at these guys. I will take them to court if they dont take care of this. When I first walked in there and they said they were going to take apart my door pannels to do the tint I asked them what if you break something and they said "everything we break we buy" .
Old 01-23-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks man. Do what you can to get them to pay for it and I would get a hardtop. LOL
Old 01-23-2004, 04:01 PM

They are going to let me know what they can do tommorow. Ill keep you guys updated
Old 01-23-2004, 10:51 PM

Sorry to hear about the mishap man. I say go back to the shop and demand no less than a brand new top. If they won't replace your top, then take them to a small claims court and have it settled there. Try contacting the BBB and report this mishap to them also. Good luck and I hope you get things resolved fairly.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:23 PM

Damn that really sucks.

Old 01-24-2004, 08:04 PM

Well I brought my car down to the tint place so the boss could look at it and he was really really good and said to take it to where ever I wanted to get it fixed and they will take care of the bill. Super great service. He said hes very sorry and accidents happen. I thought he would give me hassles but he was super super good and really cool. Im going to take it to Freds top shop. Thats where Honda reccomends.
Thanks everyone for sticking up for me and listening to this. Oh and to the 4 S2000's that saw me on the road today I waved but I dont think you guys saw, My tint is too dark. I didnt want to roll down my windows since I just got the tint so I couldnt shaka or anything.

Quick Reply: Tint shop cut my top