Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Thinkin of movin to Hawaii

Old 04-14-2006, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinkin of movin to Hawaii

just something i've been thinkin of for a couple of months now....

how's hawaiin lifestyle ?? give me you honest opinion...i know the ladies are hott..and the place is beautiful... but hows the employment ? living cost ? etc.

would be cool if i knew someone there to start off....but unfortunately i dont...so any helpful information would be greatly appreciated...
Old 04-14-2006, 05:55 PM

it's expensive and there's nothing to do. our population is pretty liberal (at least the vocal ones are). i think median home price hit 600k. unemployment is 2.9% as of last week ( i think).

but you are correct, the place is beautiful, the ladies are hott, and i don't think i'd like to live anywhere else. it'll be hard to beat the laid-back atmosphere of hawaii.

and the food is the best. i met a guy visiting from california and he said ,"this is the only place where eating is a sport!"
Old 04-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Ladies are hot, their bodies comparable to women in SoCal and South Beach; but understand that most are Asians of polynesians. If you are not into that, you are sol.

Although unemployment is low, the data is skewed. Most of the job growth are "McJobs" (i.e. service industries catering to tourists). Very few white-collar jobs pay well also. Definitely, if you have to pick a McJob, you will be struggling to pay for rent, nevermind thinking about buying a house here (as expensive as LA).

Food is a tossup. If you are in Japanese or Korean food, it's top-notch. But, if you are into haole food (french, italian, middle-eastern, indian, etc), again, you are SOL. Chinese food also sucks here; worse than Americanized chinese food in the mainland. (cake noodle?!? what is that?) Anyways, this is just a comparison between Hawaii and where you are right now, Los Angeles.

As for culture, I highly suggest you spend a couple of weeks here. Get out of waikiki and visit some of the local hangouts first before deciding.

Hawaii is not for everyone. But, if you come, make sure you bring your S2K.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what!? chinese food is good here! and there are good french restraunts.
women are beautiful anywhere you go in the world
Old 04-14-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jzz30,Apr 14 2006, 07:39 PM
what!? chinese food is good here! and there are good french restraunts.
women are beautiful anywhere you go in the world
Sorry, I stop taking Chinese restaurants seriously when they use "Chop Suey" in their names and "Egg FuYung" in their menus.

Chinese food here are good for the local taste. (Just like haoles like americanized chinese food like kung pao chicken or beef+brocoli). But, for someone who knows what real chinese food taste like (stuff back in HK or Taiwan), there's not really alot of choices here. You can't compare with Monterrey Park or Rowland Heights in LA.

Manapuas + Pork hash? It's a local thing. I wouldn't asked for it in China or mainland; they have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyways, I accepted the lack of authentic chinese food already. I am very happy with eating at Sorabol (Korean) and Makino Cha ya (Japanese).

French restaurants here are overpriced, and the quality is comparable to something I can get at TGIF.

As for Italian food... Think about it. Why is there a long-ass line to get into the Macaroni Grill, the new Italian restaurant chain that opened up recently at Ala Moana? Because, there is NOTHING here better. In the mainland, hardly anyone considers Macorino Grill or Olive Garden to be good Italian restaurant. They go there for the convenience, and there is never any line. This tells you something about the quality of Italian food here. (Or the lack of taste here for Italian food).

Old 04-14-2006, 08:54 PM

chop suey haha! i dont touch those! your going to the wrong chinese restraunts man! you got to head toward chinatown for the good stuff! places like legend or other eateries in downtown/china town are really good! mainly because hong kong chinese people make it! of course its a the taste is a little adjusted also becasue the base ingredients are a tad different. there are some good italian places. you just have to avoid the big diner type places. Arancino in waikiki is a good japanese style italian, pietro too. cafe sistina is also good. ok there are few good Italy italian restraunts
and yes french restraunts are a little overpriced here but if they heard you say that TGIF is better then i think the chefs at la mer would tell you that you dont need to come. and the french there although price is high well i think the price is right. the amount of time and care that is put in to french food is tremendous some of the sauces in french cooking take a few days to make. i dont know which french restraunts you have been to but if you go to paris and have dinner at a compareable restraunt to la mer then i think that you will find only a small difference both in quality and price.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 PM

Spam musubi rocks the house

No one has addressed his question about which island is the best.... I think it depends on what you like. Maui has the most night life and is the most commercialized, the big island has lava (and skiing), Kauai has lots of undeveloped land... each island is totally different. I guess it would depend on your job as well. What's your career niche?
Old 04-14-2006, 09:48 PM

hhhmmm.... Mcjobs huh ? Damn , I think thats the only thing that would really hinder the moving decision. As far as the food, i'm open man.... Im Filipino so any asian type of food is "all good". I own a house here in Los Angeles so the move would be a hard move..Definitely looking to "own" so i am gonna be doin alot of research for this....best way to find out about Hawaii is to ask the locals.

I have NEVER been to Hawaii...so a trip is definitely in the works. Recommendations on length of time to appreciate/get the feel of Hawaii as a place to live ? Anybody wanna house a "haole"

and the S2 is definitely following me or gettin a new s2...

career niche.....would be managament / sales/ retail....
Old 04-14-2006, 10:46 PM

well here is the best bet rent out your house in LA via a rental agent and buy a house here. the rent should cover your morgage unless your house in LA isnt already paid off or it should atleast help out or maybe it can pay for your new S
Old 04-15-2006, 06:37 AM

Good paying jobs are hard to find, lots of locals work 2 jobs just to pay the rent/mortgage, and put food on the table. Since you haven't been to Hawaii, when you talk to the locals, "pidgeon english" may come as shock. After a while you'll start talking the lingo.

In Oahu, be prepared to downsize in living space, home sizes are generally smaller than the mainland. The daily Oahu traffic is like L.A. during the rush hour. When there is no traffic people drive slower than L.A. If your looking for city life, Oahu and Maui are the best islands, lots of things to see and do, but I personally prefer Oahu over Maui. Kauai and the Big Island are very laid back, you'll need a trip to the other islands to really experience their differences. In my opinion, if you're seeking an L.A. environment, Oahu is the place.

Food is great!!! If rice is on your daily menu, lunch plates are everywhere. Don't ever turn down an invitation to a local party, there's lots of food and drinks...the locals really know how to party. It's also a great place to meet women.

I was stationed at Hickam AFB and would have stayed longer but the Air Force said 6 years of an all expense paid vacation to Hawaii was long enough. So now I make annual visits and do the tourist thing.

A flip brother from San Bernardino now living in Sacramento.

Quick Reply: Thinkin of movin to Hawaii