Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

spoon upper arm mount gusset plate

Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spoon upper arm mount gusset plate

today i finally installed my gusset plate after i bought it in late july and i feel a slight increase in steering response which could be a placebo effect but im not sure yet. it does feel better than before i think
anyway for people who are interested it is quite expensive.
if you buy it from spoon usa its like $700 for the plates and having just installed it i think installation cost would probably range in the $500 range so at a totaly of over $1200 its not you everyday mod especially because it doesnt make a big difference. but if you like to drive hard or frequent scca with competition tires or have wide tires up front its added insurance so that the spot welds dont rip off.
http://www.spoon.jp/jpn/pg62.html
http://www.spoonsports.us/PhotoGallery.asp...815%2DAP1%2D010
Old 09-15-2008, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the newer non-AP1's but this was the product we were waiting for 8 years ago, to address the biggest weakpoint in the S2000 in regards to using ultra sticky tires. Let me be very clear about what ultra sticky tires means, it does NOT mean street tires.

As most of you may already know, Kingmotorsport's Jason Saini and their B-stock S2000 was running the most expensive setup I've ever seen (rather read about) for a stock class car. They used slicks that are usually heat cycled out in about 3 months (we're talking megabuck Hoosiers) using Moton dampers that cost about 1/3 to 1/2 of what you paid for your car.

On mainland tracks, the average speed (and length) of the course is faster and longer than what you'd find on Oahu. With hard aggressive driving, tires that simply won't let go with 15k dampers, something had to go. Honda USA has a TSB out to repair/address cars that have the A-arm mounts tearing off (which will never happen on a street-driven car with street tires no matter how good they are) due to hard competition. Spoon's a little late to the game with the solution but I hear that it is supposed to work really well. I haven't seen a production model in front of me but it looks like it provides a much greater surface area to distribute the stress applied to the mounting surfaces. I don't know if any street driven car will see any benefit since it takes a tremendous amount of force (in great repetition) to fatigue that area but then again I honestly don't know.

Taka let me take a peek next time we meet up.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 AM

yea no prob!
they say if you have wide tires up front and you drive circuit, or winding roads regularly you should check the mounts. im under the impression that competition tires will speed up this fatigue. but yes you are right i havnt heard anyone break upper arm mounts yet on the street.
later along the line i am going to reinforce the rear subframe in the same manner.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:36 AM

That'll be an interesting project Taka, you might end up with the most stable chassis in the 808, lol.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:33 AM

possibly the most power too.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 AM

i was thinking about doing this
Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is this the same style of plates that reid put in his ///M ?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:16 PM

same idea but not the same. this reinforces the front upper mounting points of the arms on the chassis. what i did on reid's car was weld in a plate to make the car body thicker where the subframe met the body so it wouldnt poke through.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jzz30,Sep 15 2008, 09:16 PM
same idea but not the same. this reinforces the front upper mounting points of the arms on the chassis. what i did on reid's car was weld in a plate to make the car body thicker where the subframe met the body so it wouldnt poke through.
ah i c. i seen pictures of it on a site, but was like, wtf is this. but seeing an installed picture make sense now.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:26 AM

so does this mean we'll see another S at autocross?

Quick Reply: spoon upper arm mount gusset plate