Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

Solo II Driving School! Now's your chance!

Old 04-23-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was just sent to me!

Let's get a bunch of Honda/Acura product out there! The note is already posted on RSXworld.com and I'll put it up on the TSX site. If we have enough interest, I'll go to help out with coaching and setup. Remember, there is a minimum needed to make it happen, but there may be a maximum as well, so let's sign up early!

Ok SCCA racers,

I've been getting requests for a Solo II Driving School, so here it is.
When: Saturday, May 31, 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Where: HRP
Cost: $25 flat rate/driver (all the laps you can handle, no fun-runs)

You can take one passenger/run. "Instructors" will be available to help you
improve your driving and/or car preparation. They will also be available to
drive your car with you as the passenger to help gauge your progress.

This will be a "test and tune" type of event, so there will not be any
individual elements to practice on. We will setup an autocross track in the
morning as usual and just keep running it. If we have enough time, we may
reverse the direction to give you more variety. You will be required to
also work (1) heat so the other drivers can get their track time in.

We need a minimum of 30 entrants to make this happen, so RSVP with your
commitment to attend.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:06 PM

A Saturday!! Hallelujah!!!

Count me in.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:48 PM

Alright, that's one! I'm updating things over at RSXworld and trying to keep a tally going!
Old 04-24-2003, 01:01 AM

i talked to derrick tonight on the rsx board. he wants me to come out too, but i am not sure yet. i just got a partial black interior for my car and i have to swap it out at some point. i wanted to take it to the 1/4 mile to see what the car would run with less weight. autox sounds fun too, but then i would have to take off my bumpers something to consider and i have enought time to plan ahead. now that i know that steve is going it could get a little interesting even though in the end i will have to i will let colin or derrick know if i plan on coming out
Old 04-24-2003, 03:04 PM

i will 99% be there.

althou im gonna need new tires after spring fling this weekend.

this is gonna get expensive hehe
Old 04-30-2003, 04:47 AM

No one else? Doesn't anyone else want to drive your car to the limit without fear of law enforcement?
Old 05-02-2003, 02:41 PM

Well, it looks like two RSXs are signed up, Derrick and Geek. We have one S2000 Stephen and one that is 99% silver808.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:40 AM

A few more tips I've posted on the RSX board:

SCCA (the sanctioning body) requires a snell rated helmet. They have loaners if you cannot otherwise scrounge one up. Some people get a painters hood (kinda like a cotton stocking) to wear between the loaner helmet and their ....um.... head. This may be more pleasing from a 'hygene" angle.

Autocrossing is a timed event with one car on the track at a time (sometimes two seperated by a safe interval). It is a test of handling and hand-eye coordination. A normal autox competition is a pressure filled event with people scrambling to get the fastest time in only four tries on a track they've never seen before. If you hit a cone, it's a 2 second penalty.

This event is for some of the experienced guys to work on suspension setups and try out different things. But instead of only 4 runs, there will be continuous running with as many tries at the track as time allows. You will take turns reseting the track (picking up cones others knock over) but will get LOTS of seat time. This aspect makes it perfect for beginners! I'm planning to go to offer whatever encouragement or coaching I can.

See pictures of my wife driving her S2000 at an autocross back in 2001, if she can do it..........

Here is is link to the times for that day. The red column is the \"raw\" times, and the PAX column is \"handicapped\" times that tries to equalize different times by different cars in different states of tune.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:25 PM

What to expect at the Test 'n Tune day:

1) Sun! Lots of sun! Prepare to have sunscreen it you are the "sensitive" skin type

2) Heat! It can get pretty hot out there, so plan on a small cooler with H2O.

3) Work! Yes in addition to driving, you'll need to work a heat (maybe two) to pick up cones from the other drivers

4) Humbling! Do not worry about going slowly! Go at your own speed and compare your times against yourself. Yes, although we have a great car for this type of event, there will be "lesser" cars that will "spank" us because they are set up better for the drive, and they have more experienced drivers.

5) Fun! Driving your car through the twists and turns of an autocross track is what our cars were made for!

The proceedure is to have the car undergo a technical inspection in the morning. You will have to remove all loose items from the car, so if you carry a lot of "stuff" take it out the night before. If you have a helmet, it will be inspected to insure it passes the current minimum standards for the SCCA.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:46 PM

Colin; is the helmet you loaned me snell rated? I can't remember. It has a DOT sticker on the back and that's it.

Quick Reply: Solo II Driving School! Now's your chance!