Hawaii S2000 Owners S2000 Owners in Paradise Hawaii Owners

S2000 crashes at the track

Old 07-27-2003, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 crashes at the track

I heard from my co-worker today that a suzuka blue S2k with only 2000 miles crashed yesterday at the track and rolled over. She said that the driver was o.k., and that her boyfriend has some video footage of the tow truck flipping it back right-side-up. Obviously the driver is not a member of this forum, but has anyone heard anything about it? Maybe Joey or Connor was there...
Old 07-27-2003, 10:31 PM

Wow, what a bummer. Glad to hear the driver is okay. Any more details on *how* it crashed?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:33 AM

To roll the car, they most likely got off the track and into the dirt/grass and "dug" a tire in. What event was this? Saturday? Sunday?
Old 07-28-2003, 01:34 AM

Whoa, that is unreal...

I'm curious as to how it all happened also.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:09 AM

i wasnt there, it was the aloha 500 on sat, im not sure who it was. glad to hear the that the driver is ok.

i heard somethign about this today, from what my friend said it was in the sweeper.

but i dont know the full details. if someoen finds out pls post im curious what happened....

-Conor
Old 07-28-2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Silvers808
i heard somethign about this today, from what my friend said it was in the sweeper.
dang, the sweeper claims another victim...

i wonder if it was the infamous "chicken-lift"?
Old 07-28-2003, 02:24 AM

Damn that sweeper. I had a few close ones, not in my S though... going really fast out of there but I'm certain that I was on the absolute borderline between making it out of there in one piece versus becoming part of the permanent furniture of Hawaii Raceway Park.

I'm not a bit surprised about hearing how it may've involved that last turn. At first glance, the sweeper would appear to have several different lines that you can take to maximize exiting speed but when the throttle is on, it's much narrower than it appears when you're taking it at your best speed and there's only a hairline of a difference between the lines you can take versus the best line to take. Combine that with the fact that HRP is long overdue (tiny understatement) for a complete re-pave, the poor track conditions may've contributed to the ill-fated S2k. This is one of many reasons why I chose not to track my car.

It'd be so much easier if they opened up an air strip for things like this, especially for autocrossing. Although I've never asked anyone, I wonder why they're not holding Solo2 events at Barbers Point anymore? Perhaps Colin would know why.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:57 AM

i was there. it was sat's event.
it happened in the right at the exit to the dragstrip at the end of the sweeper. i was close to the pit and all i heard was a crash and i turned to look back and saw a blue blur in the air. it flipped over and skidded upside down a little. not exactly sure how she did it, but the tires (at the exit)were scattered. i think the tow truck flipped it back while still on the track. when we were leaving, it was right side up on the track.

kinda weird how the front was still facing forward. i guess it corkscrewed although the front was very smashed. also, the rear passenger wheel was twisted too. i couldn't see exactly where she hit first because they didn't let us on the track at that time. the car was stopped before the start of the straight guard rail beginning on the spectator side. so it seems like she must've hit before the exit to have stopped so soon w/o hitting anything head on. oh yeah, the top was up and the airbags seemed to go off.

get this. KGMB came 5 minutes before the accident. but were at turn one already filming the slalom stuff, so they never saw anything. hence nothing of the crash on the news while they showed everything else.

b